cambridgeshire canary

Rowe- UK's next top bodybuilder?

9 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:
13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility.

That’s complete rubbish.

No it isn't.  I'm well aware that if done properly, building muscle can help flexibility - and strength is a big asset for a footballer with good upper body strength, but it is possible to go too far with it. It's not a controversial statement - you can go too far with the muscle building.

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No it isn't.  I'm well aware that if done properly, building muscle can help flexibility - and strength is a big asset for a footballer with good upper body strength, but it is possible to go too far with it. It's not a controversial statement - you can go too far with the muscle building.

How do you know it hasn't been done properly, and how do you know he doesn't have 'flexibility'? Your just coming out wirh wild assumptions based on a photo!

He's got a bit of size in his arms and shoulders but he's hardly muscle bound.

I really don't see the issue here. The club will be overseeing his development and providing the equipment for it anyway!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

How do you know it hasn't been done properly, and how do you know he doesn't have 'flexibility'? Your just coming out wirh wild assumptions based on a photo!

I really don't see the issue here. The club will be overseeing his development and providing the equipment for it anyway!

I didn't say it wasn't done properly though and it wasn't a dig at his flexibility.   All I meant was that it didn't really impress me in terms of showing off muscles, which is what the photo is doing.  Big muscles doesn't mean you are super fit, it just means you've got big muscles.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't say it wasn't done properly though and it wasn't a dig at his flexibility.   All I meant was that it didn't really impress me in terms of showing off muscles, which is what the photo is doing.  Big muscles doesn't mean you are super fit, it just means you've got big muscles.

In fairness Lakey I'm not sure you're the demographic he's particularly trying to impress with that photo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The statement “too much muscle, means less flexibility” is factually incorrect. Look at the top male gymnasts. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The statement “too much muscle, means less flexibility” is factually incorrect. Look at the top male gymnasts. 

Fair enough, I just know that concentrating on weights and not doing the other stuff that is needed to have good alround fitness/flexibility to go with it, is not good.  I guess Rowe has been working extra hard on upper body strength while waiting for his leg to improve, but from the looks of that photo, he'll probably need to back off the weights just a bit once back into full training.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

i think that is the Biggest thing here 

The club with all its Doctors / medical people and Diet people will be looking out for any problems 

i would say carrying that weight will be harder for a winger over 90 mins  than someone like a Giggs who could run all day 

when you look at Runner Sprinters are built well but that is for short periods if you look the higher distance the slimmer they get ,

i am surprised when i meet footballers how small they look but they carry next to no body fat ,

i am sure they Know exactly what they are doing 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Fair enough, I just know that concentrating on weights and not doing the other stuff that is needed to have good alround fitness/flexibility to go with it, is not good.

That's not inherently related to doing weights though, the more significant part is what you've written in bold and can be applied to anything you choose.

i.e. Too much FIFA, means less flexibility because "I just know that concentrating on FIFA and not doing the other stuff needed to have a good all-round flexibility is not good"

18 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not impressed. For a footballer, too much muscle means less flexibility.

Not sure about that - approaching it from the other side of the spectrum (purely in the interests of science) my current lack of any significant muscle mass hasn't made me any more flexible at all.  Which is disappointing after all the effort of losing it ...

Could be beer related though I suppose 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i think that is the Biggest thing here 

The club with all its Doctors / medical people and Diet people will be looking out for any problems 

i would say carrying that weight will be harder for a winger over 90 mins  than someone like a Giggs who could run all day 

when you look at Runner Sprinters are built well but that is for short periods if you look the higher distance the slimmer they get ,

i am surprised when i meet footballers how small they look but they carry next to no body fat ,

i am sure they Know exactly what they are doing 

I'm sure he'll size down a bit when he gets back on the grass. After Wagner gets to work on him and he starts all that pressing he'll have to do, he won't have the time or the energy to go 'pumping iron'.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play again. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off but we might have to be patient.

1 hour ago, Barham Blitz said:

Not sure about that - approaching it from the other side of the spectrum (purely in the interests of science) my current lack of any significant muscle mass hasn't made me any more flexible at all.  Which is disappointing after all the effort of losing it ...

Could be beer related though I suppose 🤔

When I was playing I strictly followed the Stan Bowles regime. Couple of pints before the game, fag at half time, 10 pints after.

2 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

When I was playing I strictly followed the Stan Bowles regime. Couple of pints before the game, fag at half time, 10 pints after.

Hope you had time to visit the bookies too 🤣

3 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

You missed popping into the Betting shop to lose a couple of hundred quid! 😉 

• Like 1

We're slowly moving on from Norwich fans knowing better than the past 3 successive managers / coaches to Norwich fans now knowing better dietary and physical requirements / information than our entire physical and medical department 😄 

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Fair enough, I just know that concentrating on weights and not doing the other stuff that is needed to have good alround fitness/flexibility to go with it, is not good.  I guess Rowe has been working extra hard on upper body strength while waiting for his leg to improve, but from the looks of that photo, he'll probably need to back off the weights just a bit once back into full training.

Best you tip off the club's medical and training staff about this, they clearly need your professional input.

32 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Best you tip off the club's medical and training staff about this, they clearly need your professional input.

Oh, I forgot, we're not allowed to talk about some things.

Naughty me, should have known better.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Oh, I forgot, we're not allowed to talk about some things.

Naughty me, should have known better.

Feel free to make up this spurious crap as much as you like, it gives everyone a good laugh that you think your knowledge of physical fitness surpasses that of the NCFC staff.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Feel free to make up this spurious crap as much as you like, it gives everyone a good laugh that you think your knowledge of physical fitness surpasses that of the NCFC staff.

😀 Luckily, as with that thread the other day, I'm quite comfortable people asking questions from things presented to us.

NCFC staff will no doubt be monitoring him and that he is doing things correctly, but it is a question of balance at the end of the day and while his leg is recovering, working on the upper body is undoubtedly good for him, but that emphasis will change once he is up and running.

No harm in saying that is there.....or would the self-appointed forum police like to try and devalue that statement as well?

Most world class sprinters have really well tone bodies and muscular physiques. It doesn't seem to impede their flexibility or speed. They also don't seem prone to muscle or hamstring injuries to the extent that modern day footballers are.

• Like 1

I was always told that bodybuilding was aesthetic rather than athletic, and that over-developing muscles made them more prone to injury (Mathias Norman?).

That's my excuse for being a lard-@r5e, and I'm sticking to it  
(would insert a winking emoji at this point, but it would appear that the directory holding the forum's emojis is no longer accessible)

Edited by Sooty57

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

😀 Luckily, as with that thread the other day, I'm quite comfortable people asking questions from things presented to us.

NCFC staff will no doubt be monitoring him and that he is doing things correctly, but it is a question of balance at the end of the day and while his leg is recovering, working on the upper body is undoubtedly good for him, but that emphasis will change once he is up and running.

No harm in saying that is there.....or would the self-appointed forum police like to try and devalue that statement as well?

Doesn't stop it being the case that you're talking absolute rubbish about a subject for which you clearly have no professional or expert knowledge. But do continue, it's hilarious watching you make a fool of yourself.

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Doesn't stop it being the case that you're talking absolute rubbish about a subject for which you clearly have no professional or expert knowledge. But do continue, it's hilarious watching you make a fool of yourself.

Have you looked at the post where I acknowledged someone's point of view different to my own? Interesting they made their point without getting personal about it.....quite a civilised way to discuss things on a discussion forum. Perhaps you could try it sometime? 

Discussing things is how we all learn.....much better than sitting on high, dictating what people can or can't say, or worse, just ridiculing someone for daring to express something different to the party line.

There is a discussion to be had about the benefits/pitfalls of weight training - if we are allowed to discuss it without ridicule from those who think they know it all. 

16 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Incidentally, what was/is Rowe’s actual injury that’s kept him out this far?

A nasty pecs strain.

Edited by Grando
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Have you looked at the post where I acknowledged someone's point of view different to my own? Interesting they made their point without getting personal about it.....quite a civilised way to discuss things on a discussion forum. Perhaps you could try it sometime? 

Discussing things is how we all learn.....much better than sitting on high, dictating what people can or can't say, or worse, just ridiculing someone for daring to express something different to the party line.

There is a discussion to be had about the benefits/pitfalls of weight training - if we are allowed to discuss it without ridicule from those who think they know it all. 

You're the one who couldn't resist the fatuous comment, "where not allowed to talk about it". Try following your own advice you pompous buffoon.

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

You're the one who couldn't resist the fatuous comment, "where not allowed to talk about it". Try following your own advice you pompous buffoon.

Ever wondered why so many people are critical of you and your approach to others on this forum?  I'm happy to discuss anything with anybody, whereas you seem to delight in putting people down if they don't meet your high and mighty standpoint.

....edited as I was starting to be dragged dowm to your level.

Edited by lake district canary

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ever wondered why so many people are critical of you and your approach to others on this forum?  I'm happy to discuss anything with anybody, whereas you seem to delight in putting people down if they don't meet your high and mighty standpoint. As for your last two words there, perhaps try looking in the mirror?

And you think you're popular do you? 

Edited by horsefly

57 minutes ago, Crabby Canary said:

Most world class sprinters have really well tone bodies and muscular physiques. It doesn't seem to impede their flexibility or speed. They also don't seem prone to muscle or hamstring injuries to the extent that modern day footballers are.

Very true i am sure the club have it all under control 

Most sprinters are big and muscular but ask them to run for 90 mins 

That is why long distance runners are thinner and less heavy 

Hucks was not well built but could run all day also Giggs was lean still powerful 

the club will have him at ideal weight etc though so not worried about Rowe 

Edited by norfolkngood