Pyro Pete

Hugill to Rotherham

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Will go down as one of the most bizarre signings we ever made.

Cheap forward to be the backups backup with championship experience. Also offering something different for Farke to use. Scoring record was rubbish before us, but we generally seemed ok with it at the time

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Not really it made sense. Pukki was dippng in form and needed someone to challenge him nevermind our lack of strikers. At the time there were lots of complains that Pukki was being out outmuscled and was a little liteweight as was the rest of the team. We needed someone we could bring on with a strong physical presence. (Idah is more of a beanpole let's be honest) Hugill was also someone who knew the Championsip inside and out having made almost 200 appearances in said divison. He was also well known for being an all around nice top bloke who was always happy to play, always happy to get involved and was great for the dressing room.

And if you don't believe me just listen to what Farke had to say about Hugill

"He is a key player for me... I don't just rate a player because of his minutes and his impact on the pitch. You don’t win a title or promotion just as 11 players. He' a leader in our dressing room and one of the main topics why we were promoted".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Satriales said:

If true, good luck to him. Didn't work out for him at Norwich but he was always professional and a top lad.

Indeed, he’s certainly not at fault, his lack of talent was there to see, but his application and attitude was always to be commended, maybe had Cantwell had the same attitude things would have been different for him.

Unfortunately it rarely appears to work out for Hugill as I believe this will be his 17th move (permanent & loan).

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

What are you on about? More league goals than RvW. Only two less than Naismith. All while behind one of the best goalscorers this club has ever seen. And a fraction of the price of the aforementioned players too.

As bad signings go, he isn't even in the top (bottom) dozen. 

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see why this was a particularly bizarre signing - he was brought in for specific role and played ok when called upon.

We do seem to be shedding a few players this window, either on loan or permanently, what with Ramsey also returning to Villa.

• Like 3

As a player that was plucked from non league, I would think he’s pretty happy with how his career has gone. A move closer to home and the opportunity to play more will make it a decent move for him. Rovrum will play to his strengths more too, good luck to him. 

31 minutes ago, Satriales said:

If true, good luck to him. Didn't work out for him at Norwich but he was always professional and a top lad.

I wish him well.

Could be just the right club for him. Reckon they’ll really take to him there .

38 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Cheap forward to be the backups backup with championship experience. Also offering something different for Farke to use. Scoring record was rubbish before us, but we generally seemed ok with it at the time

Scored 13 for QPR, i dont think he is as poor as others make out. Just a way behind what we currently have upfront. Will bully most defences in the championship. Good luck to the guy.

• Like 1

Good luck to him. Seemed to really enjoy being a Norwich City player - just the feeling he gave out.

But he was never really a player for our system of play and unfortunately he was probably better in the changing room behind the scenes than on the pitch. Hopefully he will help Rotherham to stay up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Really? I'm not so sure. At the time people were complaining that Farke had no plan B (some even mentioned an old-fashioned centre forward type). Hugill actually scored some vital goals in the small amount of time he had on the pitch, and it's arguable that the money gained from promotion more than covered his transfer fee. His ratio of goals per minute on the pitch was actually very good in the promotion season.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Really? I'm not so sure. At the time people were complaining that Farke had no plan B (some even mentioned an old-fashioned centre forward type). Hugill actually scored some vital goals in the small amount of time he had on the pitch, and it's arguable that the money gained from promotion more than covered his transfer fee. His ratio of goals per minute on the pitch was actually very good in the promotion season.

• Like 1

Good luck to him.

A good professional and did the job he was brought in to do.

To get his and Todd's wages off the books will please the money men at NCFC.

Wasn’t he the highest scorer in our last pre-season games? He’s definitely got the ability to score if in the right environment, just as you wouldn’t put Pukki in a team with a load of hoofballers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Our fans would be a lot more favourable towards Hugill if our main striker wasn't Pukki.

**** don’t say that, we’d probably be in League 1 with the binners without Pukki and Hugill as our main striker! 😂

Edited by Indy

I understand why we signed him but I didn't love it at the time and I dislike it even more now. Spending money on a then 28 year old to be your backup striker isn't the best use of resources. 

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Wasn’t he the highest scorer in our last pre-season games? He’s definitely got the ability to score if in the right environment, just as you wouldn’t put Pukki in a team with a load of hoofballers.

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Weren’t most of them against Dereham?

He hasn't asked to go so we'll have to pay him off. No idea when his contract expires. 

Apparently there were also offers from Birmingham, Derby and Reading. 

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

This..... 

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Good luck to him. Seemed to really enjoy being a Norwich City player - just the feeling he gave out.

But he was never really a player for our system of play and unfortunately he was probably better in the changing room behind the scenes than on the pitch. Hopefully he will help Rotherham to stay up.

.... and that. 👍

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Unfortunately it rarely appears to work out for Hugill as I believe this will be his 17th move (permanent & loan).

That alone might be nough.But the fact that City sent him out on loan twice suggests he was ....a donkey. That fans of others clubs felt the same should tell you something. The same comments from WHU, Boro, WBA and Cardiff all stated the same. His limited appearances at City hid his failings. Though his awful time on the pitch v Blackburn certainly highlighted how bad he was. Sat in the South Stand with a friend who played a high standard non league game in his time and had not seen Hugill (he watches S'oton) He commented "Christ he is worse than you said. No positional sense, and is unable to control the ball." that different City managers commented on his 'nice guy' personna rather than any football ability says much. I suspect this was another example of Webbers lack of due diligence. Grabbed as a last minute back up based on a few months at QPR, there was no check on the later months. QPR fans joined others in ridiculing his lower league level of ability.. But he is gone. The polar opposite of Cantwell. Hopefully they will both succeed. But I fear they will not, for the reasons listed on this forum re Cantwell, and the reasons listed on so many other clubs forums for Hugill. However, as the saying goes "the dog barks, but the caravan move on"

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Weren’t most of them against Dereham?

You can only beat what’s put in front of you. I‘m not arguing he’s a great player we should be keeping, but he has his plus points when played in a role that suits him.

• Like 1

Signed summer 2020 after relegation from the PL, and has good Championship experience. Not exactly a bizarre signing as during a spell in our last promotion season with Pukki and Idah out injured, he provided good cover for them. The only reason he didn’t get much game time was simply because he was behind the other strikers here in the pecking order

People were saying that no one would take him, but I was fairly sure they would as he’d already been linked with several clubs and he’s good enough at Championship level

Edited by HazzaJet

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Not really. If there has been a bizarre Hugill deal it was Premier League West Ham signing him.