Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Dowell in team of the week for the 2nd time in a row?

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Who'd have thunk playing an attacking midfielder In an attacking role and letting them play would actually work!!! 

Well Deano would have but felt the fans werent cheering enough so he decided not to. So its our fault, see. If you dont believe me, i know of someone who has crafted several not at all patronising essays that explain to us plebs exactly where we've gone wrong. 

• Haha 2

Dowell was really good for much of the game I thought although equally he struggled to get into the game eg after they scored in the 1st half.  We're certainly seeing what he's capable of, the pass for the 2nd goal was great.  As well as his move and finish for the 4th.

Good to see him playing well and getting goals. lets hope this continues. Would be nice to see him score a free kick or two as well.

He’s out of contract at the end of the season isn’t he? I wouldn’t have been that bothered before now, but suddenly it seems like we should be offering him something. 

Must admit I’m slightly surprised as he was a little out of the game during the first half, but brilliant second half, I was expecting Sargent to be in there after his superb performance. But good stuff.

20 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

What a difference a month makes. Vast majority of fans weren't fussed if he left for free.

This is why I'm always dubious when people are happy to write off players who struggled under past regimes, with decent coaching who knows what could happen.  I'm sure the new manager is assessing all the squad and there may be a few more who surprise us.

He's done really well these last 2 matches (who hasn't in the squad?), but he did also have a really good spell towards the end of our previous Champ season, but then sort of disappeared again, so it will take a few more weeks of solid performances for me to be fully convinced he needs to stay.

Smith's treatment of Dowell was very strange. Before the season had started he publicly picked him out as a key player who possessed the skills to make City tick. He then pushed him out wide on the right in a traditional wingers role that patently didn't suit his qualities. One thing he certainly ain't going to do is skin a left-back. My only explanation is that he was determined to cement the no.10 spot for Ramsey, and thus it was no surprise that Dowell was soon dropped. Wagner seems to have given him a more "nominal" right--midfield role with a licence to move into a more central position where he can be most effective (witness his goals). Picking a team where each player can play to their strengths seems somewhat obvious, but that fundamentally is the main change that has so invigorated the same set of players who looked at a loss under Smith.

• Like 2