Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

Goodbye Fat Frank

25 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Just speak to Derby fans about an accurate opinion on his management ability and only got the gig at Everton due to his name.

I'm pretty sure most would be happy to go back to the Wembley playoff final under Lampard?  I mean, it was his first job in management let's not forget.  And it's not as though someone with his fame and wealth can sit at a club paying pennies, and unable to call in the contacts he has in the game.... Completely different pools.

28 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Why we didn't appoint someone who could carry on in the same management style (attacking football) and philosophy of Daniel Farke is beyond me.

Oh 100%, this is the biggest failing of Webber's time for me as his entire purpose is to ensure a continuous progression of that plan.

I'd imagine Webber had Knutsen as his number one - which would fit the direction, and then attempted to get Lampard in knowing that we had youngsters who'd react well to his appointment and the club needed a lift.

They both said no, and Smith become available... The rest is history.

Luckily, win lose or draw, we're back on track with the original plan again now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Just means we're going to see Fat Frank even more on TV now, (bad) punditry awaits ... 🥴 

The MUTE button is a wonderful thing

17 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

They turned on Allardyce pretty quickly and even Moyes for the style of football. Everton fans seem even more convinced than that lot down the road that we are still in the mid to late 20th Century.  Whatever the opposite is of football only starting with the advent of the Premier League ...

They are a weird club Everton. They seem to go through periods of stockpiling large quantities of expensive players for the same position (currently central defenders, previously number 10s) without actually improving their team ...

Very big appointment for them this.

About as big as the previous 4. I have no idea why our fanbase is obsessed with Lampard. Some of the blame is his, but it’s mostly down to a club and owners who are rotten to the core, a view shared by most Everton fans.

16 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

About as big as the previous 4. I have no idea why our fanbase is obsessed with Lampard. Some of the blame is his, but it’s mostly down to a club and owners who are rotten to the core, a view shared by most Everton fans.

Of all the posts on this thread, mine was an odd one to quote ?!  I'm not in the slightest bit obsessed by Lampard - I was pointing out why Everton fans might not take to Dycheball based on relatively recent history ?   I'd also argue it is a bigger appointment for them  this this time around because of their FFP position and also having a new stadium to pay for.

Otherwise I agree that the club is a basket case - but badly run as they are you can't argue that the board haven't thrown some money at the club, however ineffectually it has been spent.  They need a very good managerial appointment, a very good DoF or both if they aren't going to fall into a world of trouble.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Some pretty accurate stuff from back in November that he held talks but backed out of discussions in the final stages. I'll guess we'll never know, however my main point was pointing at forum members for the love in when we said to be in for him.

The reports I saw at the time said although Lampard was being considered Dean Smith was favoured over him because he seemed to be very knowledgeable about our squad.* Which probably explains why Lampard pulled out of consideration, because he realised he wasn't going to get the job. As to your main point, you claimed most posters desperately wanted Lampard. As said before, I don't remember that being anything like the case. Some posters, but not most.

*Yes, in hindsight that does look ironic...

16 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

The MUTE button is a wonderful thing

Try pressing the mute button when Roy Keane says 'listen' at the start of a sentence to emphasise that he's about to make an extremely interesting and intelligent point. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching him waffle a load of garbage in complete silence😊

On 24/01/2023 at 12:16, PurpleCanary said:

I don't believe that is at all true, and I haven't seen any solid evidence that the club ever had him top of a list of candidates.

I didn’t hear or see anyone chomping at anything to get Lampard in. If reports are to be believed he turned down a job he wasn’t offered. 

He did come to Norwich. He spent a bit of time at Royal Norwich golf club. I assume that as he was in Norwich he spoke with the club but I doubt he ever got further than his agent suggesting  he wanted £4m a year which he was never ever going to get with us .

Then Smith got sacked by Villa and the rest , as they say ….

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I didn’t hear or see anyone chomping at anything to get Lampard in. If reports are to be believed he turned down a job he wasn’t offered. 

He did come to Norwich. He spent a bit of time at Royal Norwich golf club. I assume that as he was in Norwich he spoke with the club but I doubt he ever got further than his agent suggesting  he wanted £4m a year which he was never ever going to get with us .

Then Smith got sacked by Villa and the rest , as they say ….

Quite.

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No wonder they're in bother... 

Screenshot_20230125_124759_Facebook.thumb.jpg.425a6a5426f459d5b1cb7a9d532ffd81.jpg

😂some really risky trendsetting going on here. I can’t understand why the ‘school girl for men’ look never too off tbh. What I find unnerving is how much Gordon’s hair looks like a Lego model’s it’s actually freaky 

On 23/01/2023 at 17:41, ron obvious said:

False information? You mean like the remainer one, where the world was going to end if we even THOUGHT about having a referendum? And if we did, we had no choice but to vote Remain or face annihilation, starving gangs of children roaming the streets, immediate reduction to sub-Saharan levels of poverty & destitution?

Yeah right. I have this suspicion that one of the main drivers for me applied to most other people as well, i.e. a complete disillusion with governments of all stripes, a sense that government was simply getting bigger & bigger, trying to control all aspects of our lives, & becoming more & more remote from the electorate.

And yet we're we were expected to tolerate an even MORE remote layer of government, one with even greater powers, even more corrupt & venal & undemocratic, & pay through the nose for the privilege.

Yeah right. Thanks but no thanks.

Newsflash for you genius. Poverty is so rampant food banks can't keep up. Migrant kids are being taken from hotels to be forced to work in gangs. Entire towns (look up Blyth) exist in levels of poverty that should not exist in modern day England. Illegal immigration is worse than ever. Northern Ireland is ****ed up worse than anywhere. The loss of revenue and effect on the economy means we're not able to adequately fund the NHS, not to mention other key parts of our society.

You did that. You and all the other thick as **** mince idiots that fell for a campaign of slogans, quips and lies and voted for Brexit. The sooner you realise the **** state of this country is your fault - all so you could have your little whinge at government - you will start showing some humility to those that tried to warn you against the **** show you were inviting into this country, warning you against exactly what has clearly happened. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Newsflash for you genius. Poverty is so rampant food banks can't keep up. Migrant kids are being taken from hotels to be forced to work in gangs. Entire towns (look up Blyth) exist in levels of poverty that should not exist in modern day England. Illegal immigration is worse than ever. Northern Ireland is ****ed up worse than anywhere. The loss of revenue and effect on the economy means we're not able to adequately fund the NHS, not to mention other key parts of our society.

You did that. You and all the other thick as **** mince idiots that fell for a campaign of slogans, quips and lies and voted for Brexit. The sooner you realise the **** state of this country is your fault - all so you could have your little whinge at government - you will start showing some humility to those that tried to warn you against the **** show you were inviting into this country, warning you against exactly what has clearly happened. 

Thank you for your well considered & polite reply.

You're looking in the wrong places for the causes of poverty in this country. 

The causes of poverty are complex, but it means not having the means to provide the basic needs for life. If you have those you are not in poverty.

Some people have the means but are unwilling or unable to use them wisely. Some could provide themselves with the means, but are unwilling to make the effort to do so. They believe they deserve a comfortable life irrespective of what they do.

A lot of people work hard but receive low pay. This is the main problem, one the government tries to resolve by subsidising their income; however this is a very blunt instrument & gives rise to much unfairness in the way it's distributed.

If I were in this position I would look for a better paid job, which may not exist where I live, so I would try to retrain &/or move location to where better paid jobs existed. This is what people have done throughout history (it is why we have so many immigrants - poverty levels in many of their countries of origin are incomparably worse than here).

One of the main functions of government at the moment seems to be to provide employment & thus keep the unemployment figures low. Unfortunately this means that these are mostly unproductive, providing services that nobody would willingly pay for., & you get gross salary distortions where those who do genuinely useful work get paid less (often far less) than those who have managed to insert themselves in positions further up the hierarchy. it also means that the wages will always be low because the government has a limit on how much it can tax & borrow before the whole structure falls apart.

None of this has anything to do with Brexit.

As far as slogans, quips & lies go; well I cannot speak for others, but I took no notice, my outlook has been formed over 50 or so preceding years. I voted not to join the Common Market in 1975 & have seen nothing to change my views since. In fact my Lived Experience (as he post-modernists would say) has only reinforced them. I have found that the larger the organisation is then the greater the inefficiency, unwieldiness & injustice, & national government will necessarily be the worst. Some functions are obviously vital but my opinion is it should be restricted to such functions as far as is possible.

But it MUST be answerable to the electorate. It's no good complaining about the decisions they come to, that's how democracy works. I hated the Common Market decision but accepted it.

So, I reiterate, I can see no point in adding another layer of corrupt, inefficient bureaucracy with no effective feedback mechanism at all to its population. So it's still thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 25/01/2023 at 18:40, SwearyCanary said:

😂some really risky trendsetting going on here. I can’t understand why the ‘school girl for men’ look never too off tbh. What I find unnerving is how much Gordon’s hair looks like a Lego model’s it’s actually freaky 

I'm sure Sean Dyce will be saying WTF is going on these days. Right lads its back to basics now. Play foot ball or just fùçķ off. Its as simple as that. Back to basics and start winning .

On 25/01/2023 at 18:40, SwearyCanary said:

WTF  are these fùçķèŕs all about. 🎈 Ballons.