Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

Goodbye Fat Frank

Hmm

I feel the “mid table” premier league team is something that is dying it is very much the big 7 and then the other 13. Lots of the other 13 are happy just to stay up I guess this is Everton problem they aspire to more.

52 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

There's some truth in that, but it's also true that the effect of meritocracy has been that the overlap in IQs between different social classes has shrunk over time, so we have got to a point where your C2DEs and your ABC1s are largely separated on intelligence, so your class divide has simply been replaced by an intellectual divide, hence snobbery is now less about wealth and more about intellect. You saw this completely in the Brexit referendum where remain largely lost the audience for remain supporters sneering at the prevalence of poor literacy among Brexit supporters online.

No!  The Leave campaign employed Cummings and Cambridge Analytica to identify more than 4m people on twitter and Facebook who had never voted before to vote for the first (and probably last) time. They achieved that by bombarding those people with false information such as 70m Turks would soon be arriving in the UK. 

Donald Trump went on to use CA in a similar way and with similar success. It's how he came to know Farage. 

I've no doubt there was some sneering from some above the IQ line but it was nothing compared to the likes of Gove and Rees-Mogg who shamefully convinced those beneath the IQ line that experts didn't know what they were talking about. 

Seek out 'Brexit, the Uncivil War on C4' . Hugely entertaining and sadly true. 

Also have a read of the survey carried out by Kent University on the reasons people voted Leave. Unfortunately, IQ appears to have played a huge part. 

https://kar.kent.ac.uk/60902/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

If I was a betting man, I would put money on Sean Dyche as the next Everton manager.

The scousers would lose the plot if Dean Smith was appointed.

I think they'll lose the plot if they get Dyche😂

Nothing against Everton, but they've become a funny old side - can look absolutely awful for weeks, sometimes even months and then always seem to pull a result out of the bag and scramble to safety, maybe not this time though.

Nothing against Lampard either, who always seems to conduct himself pretty well, but it's hard to like a manager who seems to have been fast-tracked into decent jobs because of who he is. Whatever happened to learning in the lower leagues, or even at East Stirlingshire a la Fergie?

52 minutes ago, Segura said:

Nothing against Everton, but they've become a funny old side - can look absolutely awful for weeks, sometimes even months and then always seem to pull a result out of the bag and scramble to safety, maybe not this time though.

Nothing against Lampard either, who always seems to conduct himself pretty well, but it's hard to like a manager who seems to have been fast-tracked into decent jobs because of who he is. Whatever happened to learning in the lower leagues, or even at East Stirlingshire a la Fergie?

Extraordinary isn't it. The most successful managers of English teams in the last 30 years have been Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger. None were particularly successful footballers but clubs continue to give jobs to people like Lampard and Gerrard. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No!  The Leave campaign employed Cummings and Cambridge Analytica to identify more than 4m people on twitter and Facebook who had never voted before to vote for the first (and probably last) time. They achieved that by bombarding those people with false information such as 70m Turks would soon be arriving in the UK. 

Donald Trump went on to use CA in a similar way and with similar success. It's how he came to know Farage. 

I've no doubt there was some sneering from some above the IQ line but it was nothing compared to the likes of Gove and Rees-Mogg who shamefully convinced those beneath the IQ line that experts didn't know what they were talking about. 

Seek out 'Brexit, the Uncivil War on C4' . Hugely entertaining and sadly true. 

Also have a read of the survey carried out by Kent University on the reasons people voted Leave. Unfortunately, IQ appears to have played a huge part. 

False information? You mean like the remainer one, where the world was going to end if we even THOUGHT about having a referendum? And if we did, we had no choice but to vote Remain or face annihilation, starving gangs of children roaming the streets, immediate reduction to sub-Saharan levels of poverty & destitution?

Yeah right. I have this suspicion that one of the main drivers for me applied to most other people as well, i.e. a complete disillusion with governments of all stripes, a sense that government was simply getting bigger & bigger, trying to control all aspects of our lives, & becoming more & more remote from the electorate.

And yet we're we were expected to tolerate an even MORE remote layer of government, one with even greater powers, even more corrupt & venal & undemocratic, & pay through the nose for the privilege.

Yeah right. Thanks but no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The only people who are "good" at IQ tests are those with a high IQ. It's not possible to get a "good" score, just an accurate one.

I would doubt that anyone with a high IQ would look down on someone with a lower score, unless of course they had some form of mental problem.

Evidence from the last 7 years in this country suggests that the problem is in fact quite the opposite in that people with a low IQ are actually more likely to sneer at those with a higher degree of intelligence. That was evident in the period leading up to the referendum when that problem was exploited very successfully by the Leave groups. 

Listening to the radio today about a young lad who was reading at two, can speak at bit of mandarin already etc.

And they said he will soon be starting school. He is self taught from the internet. How is school going to help him?

But I hope he also learns how to use a screwdriver, cook an egg and mend a puncture. At the same time as finding a cure for cancer and a way to contain anti matter.

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hate to tell you this but Lampard has an IQ of over 160 which puts him in the top 0.1% of the population. Sadly it seems to have no effect on his ability to manage a football team. 

He should go on Mastermind 

The problems at Everton haven't just been caused by the manager(s). Rot at the top.

Dyche will probably go there and grind out a few results and maybe they'll have another pitch invasion at the end of the season, but they really are the poor relations of Merseyside.

Hope they go down.

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Official now, he's gone.

Its incredible that the guy didn't walk. He was 100% going to relegate Everton. The thing that still amazes me is getting the sack and a big pay off is more important than doing the right and honourable thing. Even to a multi millionaire like Lampard its all about money and no integrity. 

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hate to tell you this but Lampard has an IQ of over 160 which puts him in the top 0.1% of the population. Sadly it seems to have no effect on his ability to manage a football team. 

But what is his Xg😉

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

Geoffrey Boycott 's mum would have done better than Dean Smith using a stick of rhubarb. 

Knowing our Geoffrey he'd say that about Pep as well.  Quite the talent with Rhubarb by all accounts Mrs Boycott.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think they'll lose the plot if they get Dyche😂

They turned on Allardyce pretty quickly and even Moyes for the style of football. Everton fans seem even more convinced than that lot down the road that we are still in the mid to late 20th Century.  Whatever the opposite is of football only starting with the advent of the Premier League ...

They are a weird club Everton. They seem to go through periods of stockpiling large quantities of expensive players for the same position (currently central defenders, previously number 10s) without actually improving their team ...

Very big appointment for them this.

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

False information? You mean like the remainer one, where the world was going to end if we even THOUGHT about having a referendum? And if we did, we had no choice but to vote Remain or face annihilation, starving gangs of children roaming the streets, immediate reduction to sub-Saharan levels of poverty & destitution?

Yeah right. I have this suspicion that one of the main drivers for me applied to most other people as well, i.e. a complete disillusion with governments of all stripes, a sense that government was simply getting bigger & bigger, trying to control all aspects of our lives, & becoming more & more remote from the electorate.

And yet we're we were expected to tolerate an even MORE remote layer of government, one with even greater powers, even more corrupt & venal & undemocratic, & pay through the nose for the privilege.

Yeah right. Thanks but no thanks.

Just as well we as a nation have avoided sliding into poverty under a corrupt, venal and undemocratic leadership intent on awarding themselves more powers whilst we all pay more taxes then.  Phew.  That was close.

Still, we digress.  Those Toffees eh ?  Deluded bunch ...

20 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Just as well we as a nation have avoided sliding into poverty under a corrupt, venal and undemocratic leadership intent on awarding themselves more powers whilst we all pay more taxes then.  Phew.  That was close.

Still, we digress.  Those Toffees eh ?  Deluded bunch ...

So why would adding another even worse, even more remote, governmental layer on top, one I can't have any say in via a vote,  make things better? Non comprendez.

• Like 1

Please take the Brexit debate off the football forum.  I hate it, I fully engaged at the time, and still do not understand the rationale, for me it was worst decision with significant tangible impacts.  Since I can’t affect it I try to avoid it, and would hate to stop reading and posting here because of it.  Some may see that as a brexit benefit…..

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You can infer all sorts from statistics. Are you suggesting that people with low IQ were not able to reach the right decision, i.e. the one you made?

Or it could be that lower paid people were the ones who felt more disadvantaged from EQ membership and actually made the choice based on their own personal circumstances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Please take the Brexit debate off the football forum.  I hate it, I fully engaged at the time, and still do not understand the rationale, for me it was worst decision with significant tangible impacts.  Since I can’t affect it I try to avoid it, and would hate to stop reading and posting here because of it.  Some may see that as a brexit benefit…..

13 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

You can infer all sorts from statistics. Are you suggesting that people with low IQ were not able to reach the right decision, i.e. the one you made?

Or it could be that lower paid people were the ones who felt more disadvantaged from EQ membership and actually made the choice based on their own personal circumstances.

There - set up a thread elsewhere (non-football) for this.  I blame Franks supposed IQ.

For what its worth the statistics and correlations are very clear - facts vs opinion and the reasons why people voted as they did is the only debate.

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

I haven't "suggested" anything and I havent said which way I voted. I've stuck to facts and merely pointed out that Cambridge Analytica, Leave and Donald Trump used social media to target people they referred to as below the line and persuaded them to vote leave with some quite extraordinary and spurious claims. They were remarkably successful and persuaded 4m people to vote in the referendum who had never voted before. 

They were perhaps even more successful in the USA with quite disastrous consequences. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

According to William Hill 

Everton have reportedly made the decision to part ways with Frank Lampard... Who would be the best fit for the role? __________ #EFC

And most of this forum were chomping at the bit to get him as our last manager. Albeit the pool which was given to us at the point was dire to say the least.

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

And most of this forum were chomping at the bit to get him as our last manager. Albeit the pool which was given to us at the point was dire to say the least.

I don't believe that is at all true, and I haven't seen any solid evidence that the club ever had him top of a list of candidates.

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't believe that is at all true, and I haven't seen any solid evidence that the club ever had him top of a list of candidates.

Some pretty accurate stuff from back in November that he held talks but backed out of discussions in the final stages. I'll guess we'll never know, however my main point was pointing at forum members for the love in when we said to be in for him.

40 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

my main point was pointing at forum members for the love in when we said to be in for him.

I think he would've done a decent job here, particularly in lifting supporters who didn't have some inferiority complex against him.  More than anything, we needed a mental lift and Smith just sent us further into depression.  

We're nothing like Everton so you can't just can't compare.  Just as you can't compare the job Howe done getting Bournemouth relegated and now sits 3rd in the prem with Newcastle,  and Graham Potter who was hitting the highs at Brighton and now struggling at Chelsea.

Horses and courses, innit. 🙂

19 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think he would've done a decent job here, particularly in lifting supporters who didn't have some inferiority complex against him.  More than anything, we needed a mental lift and Smith just sent us further into depression.  

We're nothing like Everton so you can't just can't compare.  Just as you can't compare the job Howe done getting Bournemouth relegated and now sits 3rd in the prem with Newcastle,  and Graham Potter who was hitting the highs at Brighton and now struggling at Chelsea.

Horses and courses, innit. 🙂

I think his appointment would of lifted supporters briefly, however I think he is just a woeful manager full stop and it would of ended in the same fashion as Dean Smith. Just speak to Derby fans about an accurate opinion on his management ability and only got the gig at Everton due to his name.

Why we didn't appoint someone who could carry on in the same management style (attacking football) and philosophy of Daniel Farke is beyond me. We seemed to of realized our sense again now and appointed someone who shares a similar philosophy to the way we like to play, which in the short term looks encouraging.

17 hours ago, Mullet said:

Its incredible that the guy didn't walk. He was 100% going to relegate Everton. The thing that still amazes me is getting the sack and a big pay off is more important than doing the right and honourable thing. Even to a multi millionaire like Lampard its all about money and no integrity. 

This is a guy who went out on a bender with his Chelsea teammates the day after 9/11 and mocked stranded Americans who couldn't get home. He's scum.

10 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

This is a guy who went out on a bender with his Chelsea teammates the day after 9/11 and mocked stranded Americans who couldn't get home. He's scum.

Just another simpleton footballer.