mr footy

New manager bounce

I'd say this is good championship players playing to their strengths. Probably less of a bounce than some might be thinking.

Only bounce under the previous management team was their man boobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is definitely a honeymoon period improved by some passionate goings on, but I think there's more going on here than managerial bounce. Wagner's a guy forged by Borussia Dortmund II with a squad put together by a guy Forged by Borussia Dortmund II and it's clicking in a way that Smith could never realistically replicate without actually having shared a starting point with Wagner and Farke.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

Benjamin Bloom did a YouTube on new manager bounce about one year ago and the statistics suggested it is actually something of a myth.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

Perhaps, it's not all about a new man at the helm, as Wagner has literally turned things inside out.

There's not a hint of Smith's approach and Smithball in anything he has done.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This is definitely a honeymoon period improved by some passionate goings on, but I think there's more going on here than managerial bounce. Wagner's a guy forged by Borussia Dortmund II with a squad put together by a guy Forged by Borussia Dortmund II and it's clicking in a way that Smith could never realistically replicate without actually having shared a starting point with Wagner and Farke.

Being a rubbish coach didn't help either.😉

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Almost always happens,let's see what happens in 10 games time.But looking promising. 

It is VISIBLY better football all over the pitch.

And that's all I can ask for.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It doesn't almost always happen though.

No, it doesn't, as I seem to remember from about a decade ago when I analysed the flaws in a Dutch academic survey that claimed it did!🤩 And I think LYB (above) makes a pertinent point in this case.

47 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Almost always happens,let's see what happens in 10 games time.But looking promising. 

Maybe we should return two of the points we got today, eh?

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, it doesn't, as I seem to remember from about a decade ago when I analysed the flaws in a Dutch academic survey that claimed it did!🤩 And I think LYB (above) makes a pertinent point in this case.

And of course we all feel better. However for those caught still up in the "we only beat teams in the bottom half" The Burnley game is a big test.

• Like 1

There's certainly some luck involved, we've scored 3 goals from our first 5 or so shots 2 games in a row, that won't continue but even had we not scored them the performances are so much better than what had been served up under the previous head coach.

The point is from our perspective Smith brought nothing new to the table, in fact it was a step backwards from Farke and Neil imo.

We became better at defending our own penalty area I'll give him that, but otherwise it was a nothing appointment with nothing of a bounce. Perhaps those wins against Watford and Everton?

Agree it's just a myth, we just overreact to the 'along came Norwich' syndrome. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The point is from our perspective Smith brought nothing new to the table, in fact it was a step backwards from Farke and Neil imo.

We became better at defending our own penalty area I'll give him that, but otherwise it was a nothing appointment with nothing of a bounce. Perhaps those wins against Watford and Everton?

Agree it's just a myth, we just overreact to the 'along came Norwich' syndrome. 

And Southampton. That was his first win IIRC.

20 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Benjamin Bloom did a YouTube on new manager bounce about one year ago and the statistics suggested it is actually something of a myth.

Definitely - plenty of sides get nothing like a bounce. Something clearly wasn’t clicking and now does, it’s clear the players are good enough and always were.

• Like 1

If this level of play continues, or similar, then I suggest we refuse to pay DS and co any compensation.

seriously, I’ve never seen a change of play in any team like we are seeing . again, this may not continue at this level but to receive compensation for that and then this "…….

We should take a stand and say no we aren’t paying. 

I'd call it 'new manager coherence'. Under Smith our midfield was a mess with ever-changing and overly-complex roles. Under Wagner they have been given freedom to attack and very simple jobs to do when possession is lost. There are still holes in defence, but we're creating far more, higher quality chances.

• Like 1

I'm not sure at Norwich I've ever personally seen such a huge immediate change from a manager change. It's not just the goals, but the change in style and the fluidity of play in such a short amount of time.

Of course, I think it helps if you've got a quality squad for the division but many of us were doubting that!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr footy said:

I think you're spot on. So much has improved in such a little time. I hope (and think) it's just a manager who is now playing to our strengths and confidence returning. But the test will be whether we're still playing like this after the honeymoon phase that does come with new appointments is over.

Here's a great stat: Over the course of 138 Championship games with Farke as head coach, Norwich scored at least 4 goals in a game in a total of 8 games.

So Wagner has 25% of Farke's tally of at least four-goal championship games in 1.4% of the number of Championship games.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Here's a great stat: Over the course of 138 Championship games with Farke as head coach, Norwich scored at least 4 goals in a total of 8 games.

So Wagner has 25% of Farke's tally of at least four-goal championship games in 1.4% of the number of Championship games.

If someone else posted that you'd accuse them of muck raking and trying to besmirch Farkes rep after hes gone.Out of interest,   How many times did we score 4 or more under Smith in the  Champs.? Just sayjng . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Here's a great stat: Over the course of 138 Championship games with Farke as head coach, Norwich scored at least 4 goals in a total of 8 games.

It’s a good stat. So DF’s NCFC scored 4 or more goals in 6% of his championship games and got two championship promotions under his belt at a 50% promotion rate for his 4 seasons at that level. DW has 4 goals or more in 100% of his championship games for NCFC and got championship promotions at 50% of his seasons in the division. DS scored 4 or more goals in 0% of his championship games and has gained promotion in 20% of his seasons in the division. 

Stats are manipulated however you want, seems odd you’d bring this stat up to do anything other than try and defend Smith (again) by desperately trying to convince us Farke was somehow inferior. I actually don’t get it. You love Smith that much you’ll try and convince us one of our all time best managers for success and style is worse. You’re actually just not a fan. You’re an ego with a pulse 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

Some bounce though

I like that account. Here's another.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

It’s a good stat. So DF’s NCFC scored 4 or more goals in 6% of his championship games and got two championship promotions under his belt at a 50% promotion rate for his 4 seasons at that level. DW has 4 goals or more in 100% of his championship games for NCFC and got championship promotions at 50% of his seasons in the division. DS scored 4 or more goals in 0% of his championship games and has gained promotion in 20% of his seasons in the division. 

Stats are manipulated however you want, seems odd you’d bring this stat up to do anything other than try and defend Smith (again) by desperately trying to convince us Farke was somehow inferior. I actually don’t get it. You love Smith that much you’ll try and convince us one of our all time best managers for success and style is worse. You’re actually just not a fan. You’re an ego with a pulse 

TBF, where does he mention Smith in that post? 

It’s getting like the period when Lakey was the bete noire of the forum and people queued up to have a pop at him regardless of the content of his post. And then we actually *did* beat Man City. 

Let’s play the posts, not the poster.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Thanks 1