Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

A reminder of what a team we had in 1992/93

I’ve just been reading an article on the BBC and I hadn’t seen this stat before and it really brought it home to me just what a good team we had that season.

Since the Premier League era started, 5 teams have had a lead of 8 points or more after 18 games. Only one of them didn’t go on to win the league. Oh, what could have been 🙁

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I’ve just been reading an article on the BBC and I hadn’t seen this stat before and it really brought it home to me just what a good team we had that season.

Since the Premier League era started, 5 teams have had a lead of 8 points or more after 18 games. Only one of them didn’t go on to win the league. Oh, what could have been 🙁

Cantona signed for Man Utd in late November that season and he was the difference for them in the end.

Following season undone by Bergkamp in the UEFA Cup.

Two genuine World Class strikers there.

The Premiership was designed to secure the Big Club's dominance, which meant any small Club that had the temerity to challenge was immediately asset stripped.... the rest, as they say, is history....

And we were possibly close to signing Patrik Anderson in January but outbid by Blackburn…another if only had we strengthened the defence 

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cantona signed for Man Utd in late November that season and he was the difference for them in the end.

Following season undone by Bergkamp in the UEFA Cup.

Two genuine World Class strikers there.

Actually undone by Newman's brainless foul in the home leg on a Peruvian winger who was going nowhere. We outplayed Inter for long periods in the second leg, despite having several players out, but it meant we ended up having to push for a goal, and left ourselves wide open.

• Like 1

Remember when goss hit the bar that night with a long ranger … so close to another worldie

Almost even worse was our alarmingly rapid decline into the endsleigh div 1 for a very long time 

Gunn, Culverhouse, Butterworth, Polston, Newman, Bowen, Ullathorne, Sutch, Phillips, Crook, Goss, Megson, Fox, Robins, Power, Sutton... (no Fleck!) - sure I've missed a few. 

Is it just my poor memory, or were there less injuries back then? What might have been indeed! What a season though. December & January cost us, as did (shudder!) Ipswich doubling us. And of course Man United too - that 1-3 reverse after John Polston's late scrambler against Villa...the dream was over. I remember some things about that season better than I remember last week. 

The subsequent 95 relegation still hurts. 

13 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Gunn, Culverhouse, Butterworth, Polston, Newman, Bowen, Ullathorne, Sutch, Phillips, Crook, Goss, Megson, Fox, Robins, Power, Sutton... (no Fleck!) - sure I've missed a few. 

Is it just my poor memory, or were there less injuries back then? What might have been indeed! What a season though. December & January cost us, as did (shudder!) Ipswich doubling us. And of course Man United too - that 1-3 reverse after John Polston's late scrambler against Villa...the dream was over. I remember some things about that season better than I remember last week. 

I was behind the goal when Polston bundled in against Villa … what a match that was!  I think his son was born that day aswell …

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Yeah the 95 relegation still hurts for sure.

But the annoying thing is the signs were there the previous season, which was a proper season of "two halves" if you like.

The first half of 93-94 we were in great form and mostly in the top 3, and the second half of the season we only won 2 more games, drew a load and fell down the table - which obviously coincided with us losing Walker to Everton. It was relegation form really. Without Sutton the following year, there was no one to score goals so there was only going to be one outcome (even if, again, we were doing fairly well until Christmas)

I wasn't yet into football in 92-93, was there any genuine belief we'd ever do it? Also was the manager trying to bring in new players to make it more possible that we could win the league, were we linked with any big signings etc?

2 hours ago, paddycanary said:

I wish we’d not sold Bruce as I think has we kept him we’d of easily won the league that year.