Burnley v West Bromwich Albion

Sheffield United v Hull City

Any points dropped by the top two will be a bonus. If any, it could be that WBA continue their good run of form

•  
Edited by PockthorpePete

7 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Any points dropped by the top two will be a bonus. If any, it could be that WBA continue their good run of form

•  

How would WBA winning help Norwich ? 

14 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

•  

Alas, I think the play-offs are our only hope of promotion now. Burnley have twenty points more than us and are extremely unlikely to lose enough games to be caught. We would need an unprecedented run of success also.

Even Sheffield have a fifteen point advantage. Too much to make up.

Best we hope these two actually win games against our play-off rivals. That would advantage us more.

Burnley and Sheffield are already out of sight , 20 points away over the horizon. Our only way to promotion this season will be via the playoffs. It may be delusional to expect us to get promotion this season, we have already lost 11 matches . That is not promotion form. Even if Wagner can get this squad working there is still a lot to do. Part of me simply wants to see exciting, entertaining football like the days of Farke and Buendia and like last weekends 0-4 away from home. That for me will be enough, but there will be huge economic consequences that will roll into the next season in the Championship.

We have to hope WBA have peaked too early. We weren't really a match for their physicality earlier in the season. Wouldn't fancy playing them in the play-offs.

33 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Hate seeing WBA playing in green and yellow!!!

I dunno , almost got excited when they scored . Forgot myself. 

• Haha 1

Personally I think Burnley beating West Brom was the best result. We aren't getting top two and the Baggies are definitely in our cross-hairs tomorrow.

We're highly unlikely to make the top 2, we'd need to win nearly every game. If the goal is the play offs then we don't need to worry about what other teams are doing, we just need to focus on getting a certain points total that will become clearer as the season goes on. If it does look likely that we'll make the top 6 it then becomes about avoiding teams that I wouldn't want to face in the pay offs and the only team in the division who I fear for us against is Watford who always tear us a new one with their pace, physicality and direct counter attacking style. So I'm hoping that one if the top 2 does fall away, if it's not us then I really hope Watford go on a run and beat them to the auto's. I know they're only 4 points ahead of us but with 19 games to go that's a big difference among teams who are expected to win most weeks and gives them more margin for error. I'd fancy us over two legs against any other team in the division if we're on form and the final is a total lottery where anything can happen.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

23 pts and 18 pts behind the top 2....really is dreadful considering we were level with them at the start of October and shows how Webber's inaction over the appalling Dean Smith and his methods has cost us dear

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Alas, I think the play-offs are our only hope of promotion now. Burnley have twenty points more than us and are extremely unlikely to lose enough games to be caught. We would need an unprecedented run of success also.

Even Sheffield have a fifteen point advantage. Too much to make up.

Best we hope these two actually win games against our play-off rivals. That would advantage us more.

It's not completely unprecedented. We did it from a worse position in 1982, due almost entirely to signing Martin O'Neil. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

Things can change dramatically if one of the top two has a bad run and somebody goes on a winning streak to put pressure on them, at the moment there is very little pressure but at some point the gap will shrink and bums will start getting squeaky. Just have to make sure that team is us, and of course they both have to come to NR1.

9 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

23 pts and 18 pts behind the top 2....really is dreadful considering we were level with them at the start of October and shows how Webber's inaction over the appalling Dean Smith and his methods has cost us dear

Can’t disagree with this at all. The slide really was alarming and I still can’t get my head around giving him the World Cup break.

I wonder who told us Burnley were a basket case?....I'm not a 'I told yah so' or even one for diggin' up old threads....

Although there's a plethora of posters on here, that take great delight in doing so....