Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

Super League: The War for Football

New docuseries on Apple TV+. Anyone watching? I’m two episodes in and it’s expectedly very good. Tries to make UEFA/Ceferin a hero which I’m not sure about but overall it’s an excellent watch. See if you can spot the 3 second glimpse of Carrow Road in episode 1!

55 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

New docuseries on Apple TV+. Anyone watching? I’m two episodes in and it’s expectedly very good. Tries to make UEFA/Ceferin a hero which I’m not sure about but overall it’s an excellent watch. See if you can spot the 3 second glimpse of Carrow Road in episode 1!

That's me not watching it.

I think it's laughable how little these clubs got punished. The whole rhetoric at the time was of points deductions and relegations and all they ended up with were reletively miniscule fines and a slap on the wrist. Laughable how these clubs have got away with it and it's been almost totally forgotten by fans, especially of those clubs. We're enabling them the inevitable second go.

The end result of this by the way is a new competition played on their terms with a ridiculous financial arrangement resulting in their ultimate monopoly of the game...with a shiny UEFA badge on top.

24 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

We're enabling them the inevitable second go.

I thought we were encouraging them to go so we could get out our game back. 😉

The big clubs run football and they aren’t going to not stand for running it totally for much longer

closed league coming, big clubs only 

what remains can be reclaimed as the real football.

Oh I think we all know that if these souless top footballing bodies and groups had their say we would be seeing American style "world cup super series" every other day featuring classics like "Man United vs PSG in Saudi Arabia for the title of ultimate world champion!" and players being randomly transfered to other teams to try and boost ratings..

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh I think we all know that if these souless top footballing bodies and groups had their say we would be seeing American style "world cup super series" every other day featuring classics like "Man United vs PSG in Saudi Arabia for the title of ultimate world champion!" and players being randomly transfered to other teams to try and boost ratings..

Peoples ideas of American sports are wild.

Literally none of this happens in any American sport.

It was a good docuseries, very well produced and featuring talking heads with some big hitters in the sport. It also isn’t afraid to shine a light on UEFA’s failings as well as expose the sliminess and greed from those behind the super league.

Fascinating insight into sportswashing from the Gulf state nations in European football and how American hedge fund owners simply cannot compete with their bottomless pits of oil money.

The other clubs answer to this? More money, of course!

Or, how about you stop paying ridiculous contracts and transfer fees and therefore force all football to tone it down. Football as it is and where it is going is completely unsustainable unless spending is reined in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I think it's laughable how little these clubs got punished. The whole rhetoric at the time was of points deductions and relegations and all they ended up with were reletively miniscule fines and a slap on the wrist. Laughable how these clubs have got away with it and it's been almost totally forgotten by fans, especially of those clubs. We're enabling them the inevitable second go.

I can't wait for their second go. 

Bye. 

The answer to football's problems is pretty simple - a wage cap. Players will still be multi-millionaires and it would enable more clubs to be able to compete.

1 minute ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

The answer to football's problems is pretty simple - a wage cap. Players will still be multi-millionaires and it would enable more clubs to be able to compete.

Which is exactly why it'll never happen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, king canary said:

Peoples ideas of American sports are wild.

Literally none of this happens in any American sport.

Flint Michigan Mega Bowl!!!! Flint Michigan Mega Bowl!!!! Flint Michigan Mega Bowl!!!! 

21 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Yup thats me out

A wage cap is impossible to impose. For a start it would have to be forced upon every football league in the world otherwise the leagues without a cap will suddenly become flooded with all the top players. Secondly clubs, agents and players will always find ways around the cap and it will result in many dodgy deals being done inviting in a lot more shady third parties getting involved to manipulate the numbers in one way or another. 

Another way to potentially manipulate the system towards a more fair sporting field would be to spread the TV money more equally, but then you disadvantage the PL against other top European leagues who are unlikely to follow suit because it would give them an advantage in attracting the best players and growing their league. 

I don't want the super league to happen. What I'd much rather happen is over time a few of the top clubs get in serious financial trouble either because their owners cash dries up or they accumulate too much debt, at least one of them goes bust and it shocks the other top clubs into being more conservative with their finances.