Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Pukki offered new contract last summer

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

But is still sitting on it, it seems.

Cant blame him , in my eyes he's entitled to see where we're playing next season before  making any decisions. 

• Like 1

No surprise, his agent was putting him in the shop window in June but there didn't seem to be any offers.

If he's out of contract he'll be able to get a nice signing on bonus in lieu of a transfer fee.

• Like 1

I think we all knew he was offered a new contract last summer but didn't sign it didn't we? Complete conjecture but I suspect it may have superseded this one year add on which is at a good rate wage wise - so we're led to believe, and instead given longer in length.

Makes sense to sit on it, force this one year extension, see what options come in during January, as per Bosman rules, and then pick what you want. I dare say there will be other offers and it'll all be down to whether he feels he can get a good, three year deal anywhere else and whether it's worth it for him and his family, to go through the upheaval of an international move again for the sake of what could be a couple of years.

I know his kids are at school in Norwich, for example. He'll be 33 in March, and whilst not in a position to be considering it yet, one eye must be on how much longer he can play on for. 35-36 shouldn't be a problem for him, but the reality is, with each transfer window, he becomes less valuable in terms of longevity of contract. He might get a three year deal now, he might get two, on a free teams might be inclined to offer a bit more length owing to no fee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems what I predicted may be true

We get promoted he stays. We don't he goes.

Wow. That’s hardly the prediction of the century, is it?!

• Haha 1

It would be strange for him not to be considering his options. He’s made it clear he wants to play at a higher level, if we don’t get there no one can begrudge him the last few years of his playing career being elsewhere.

This can’t be a surprise ? Any player that we want will be offered a contract before their current one expires? I thought it was obvious that Pukki had been offered a new contract and wouldn’t sign. 

Pukki has one last big money contract to sign and ideally wants to play Prem or European equivalent. He would have to be paid handsomely (as he is now) to stay in the Chumps. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems what I predicted may be true

We get promoted he stays. We don't he goes.

But he’ll be looking at offers now. Unless something miraculous happens, no-one will know if we’re going up until 19th May. Will he/ the clubs bidding for him wait till then? 

£50K a week (with increases if we do go up) for three years to stay would seem to me like a decent deal for him and us. 

That's why I'm a bit surprised we've managed to move Cantwell on now. Presumably we are getting something for him (a figure of £1.5m has been mentioned) which he could surely have trousered himself if he'd waited until the Summer.

Just now, sgncfc said:

That's why I'm a bit surprised we've managed to move Cantwell on now. Presumably we are getting something for him (a figure of £1.5m has been mentioned) which he could surely have trousered himself if he'd waited until the Summer.

I reckon between the signing on bonus, and the uplift in wages it was still worth his while.  All in all good to finally move, and I really hope it works out for him.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

But he’ll be looking at offers now. Unless something miraculous happens, no-one will know if we’re going up until 19th May. Will he/ the clubs bidding for him wait till then? 

£50K a week (with increases if we do go up) for three years to stay would seem to me like a decent deal for him and us. 

Wonder what someone lower PL would pay i think he is on 50k a week now as his extra year had to be PL wages 

so i doubt it will go up ?? 

Maybe someone in PL might give him 60/75 k a week also as he is Free a Bumper signing on fee 

Let's face it, no decent Norwich player would have wanted to play under that shower of sh_t that we had up until recently.

4 hours ago, K Lo said:

Let's face it, no decent Norwich player would have wanted to play under that shower of sh_t that we had up until recently.

Wagner does seem to have the players pumped up watching that touch line cam video. He’s like a Daniel Farke on steroids, nice to watch. 

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Be careful saying things like this on here, because we all know Cantwell is just a greedy charlatan, but maybe the prospect of actually playing football for the next four months was more appealing to him that sitting on his backside but pocketing more cash in the summer?

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

Hardly a surprise about Teemu's contract situation is it. At least he hasn't already ruled out staying with us.

His family situation may well be an important factor for him, so I haven't given up hope no matter what Division we are in.

• Like 1

• Being part of two disastrous Premier League relegations must have been soul-destroying for a player who, by rights, should have been a Premier League regular. In that context, it's no wonder he wanted off last Summer.
  • It's hard to say how being part of a squad that got about as much enthusiastic support as the opening ceremony for a park bench as we climbed from bottom of the league to the top of the league, will have affected his partiality to the fans. Hopefully the uptick in mood at Carrow Road following Wagner's appointment will put that out of his mind; he did come across as enjoying himself more in the last game, which is a basis for some hope.
  • If we're not promoted, I would be amazed if he continued with us.
  • If we are promoted, it will come down to how likely he thinks it is we'll survive.

If we're promoted, I think it's much more likely he's going to stay than it was. My only concern about that is that he is coming to the end of his career and his dominance is preventing Sargent getting game time in his best position, which leaves us in a position where we could end up wasting a talented striker yet to hit his prime for the sake of getting a bit more out of someone approaching the end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:
  • Being part of two disastrous Premier League relegations must have been soul-destroying for a player who, by rights, should have been a Premier League regular. In that context, it's no wonder he wanted off last Summer.
  • It's hard to say how being part of a squad that got about as much enthusiastic support as the opening ceremony for a park bench as we climbed from bottom of the league to the top of the league, will have affected his partiality to the fans. Hopefully the uptick in mood at Carrow Road following Wagner's appointment will put that out of his mind; he did come across as enjoying himself more in the last game, which is a basis for some hope.
  • If we're not promoted, I would be amazed if he continued with us.
  • If we are promoted, it will come down to how likely he thinks it is we'll survive.

If we're promoted, I think it's much more likely he's going to stay than it was. My only concern about that is that he is coming to the end of his career and his dominance is preventing Sargent getting game time in his best position, which leaves us in a position where we could end up wasting a talented striker yet to hit his prime for the sake of getting a bit more out of someone approaching the end.

Exactly this. The fact that Pukki has been able to score double figures in a team that finished rock bottom TWICE is amazing.

Imagine how many goals he would score in a proven, solid top ten premier leauge side that plays to his strengths and gives him the support he needs.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly this. The fact that Pukki has been able to score double figures in a team that finished rock bottom is amazing.

Imagine how many goals he would score in a proven, solid top ten premier leauge side that plays to his strengths and gives him the support he needs.

If he was that much in demand a solid top ten Premier League side would have bought him. 

Imagine is all you can do, as the likelihood is nobody has made us an offer we can't refuse.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

His family situation may well be an important factor for him

That can go either way though, we all know that Tettey's wife desperately wanted to go back to Norway and he had to ask her permission to stay a little longer than he'd agreed when he signed an extension.

Women tend to gravitate back towards where their parents live when they have young children, and then stay there as their parents age and they take on some caring responsibilities. That is to say, I bet Pukki's wife values being near wider family much more than she values Norfolk's schools.

I suppose our saving grace there is that Finland has a tiny football league and the best team has a ground capacity of like 10,000, so his domestic league doesn't have the financial muscle or 'pull'. Thank god he isn't Swedish or Danish, as both have clubs which could pay decent wages.

Should we win promotion we could likely match the best offer on the table financially you should think, with his Prem wages of £50k being about right, can't see anybody beating that for a 32/33 year old from an unfashionable footballing nation.

Fail to win promotion however and I suspect he's going to have better offers than the one we can put on the table. Yes he isn't a flash harry and yes it isn't all about the money, but it is a big factor when its a players last chance of a strong 2/3 year deal and a long retirement looming.

33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If he was that much in demand a solid top ten Premier League side would have bought him. 

There's a huge difference in the demand for a player who costs £0 and a player that we'd be expecting a large fee for, especially when they are 32 and so will likely be seeing out their career with their next contract.

In order to 'buy' him they have to meet our asking price, which in the summer I suspect would have been very high for a 32 year old. I suspect that if we'd asked a modest fee of say £4m-£5m there would have been takers in the Premier League, could easily have seen West Ham take him as they were clearly a striker short last season, Antonio frequently out with niggly injuries.