graz

Which Manager do you have fondest memories of?

My era, starts with Ken Brown and my 2nd game was the Milk Cup final so that holds special memories for me. The Stringer/Walker years were amazing, FA cup semi's, almost winning the league and ofc the uefa cup run. Great years under Lambert, it just felt like we could win every game, even when we went behind, shame he's tarnished his reputation with us. But for me, for the style of play, and the class of the man, it has to be Farke. All great managers for us though and great days.

• Like 1

This question is always a generational one. The run from Saunders, Bond, Brown and Stringer was truly transformative for the club and made it what it is today. After that football changed in the Prem era so it is hard to imagine it happening again. Walker, Worthy, Lambert, Neil and Farke all did good work, in often difficult circumstances but we were never competitive at the top level again.

Bond-Brown-Stringer-Walker-Deehan

1973-1995 and the club's most succesful years...and throughout each manager being replaced by their assistant or from within the club....almost a Norwich version of the Liverpool 'boot room'

I'd be torn between Brown Stringer and Walker...but the fact that Brown oversaw 2 needless relegations whilst Walker left for Everton in unsavoury circumstances means Stringer nicks it for me.

The 88/89 season remains one of my favourites

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

In no particular order, Saunders, Bond, Stringer, Walker, Lambert and Farke..........

Yes I would go along with that. Plus an old kid on the block . Archie Mccaulay. Two years after applying for reelection beating Manchester United 3 nil in the cup made that 10 year old a canary for life.

• Like 1

Daniel Farke. Absolutely no competition what-so-ever.

Bond was before I was born, Brown was before I was interested in football and [the later part of ]Stringer [when I was old enough to follow] and Walker was very good, but nothing has felt like Farke for me, which, was just special. I'm still gutted about him not being here.

I suppose I'm showing my age, but it has to be Ron Saunders. All those years growing up supporting a team in the 3rd division north, or second division, there was never any expectation of top division football. Then Ron Saunders arrived, and without a sackful of money got our team into the top flight. Yes there have been more exciting times since, but never forget where it all started.

Mike Walker

when i was a young Teenager

i Remember seeing this well dressed man park his Mercedes 

Long Coat Crombie Coat looked so Classy and Rich it was Mike Walker 

4 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

In no particular order, Saunders, Bond, Stringer, Walker, Lambert and Farke..........

Same for me but a little guilt by leaving out Brown.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not one vote for Deano yet, come on @littleyellowbirdie

Funnily enough I was just going to nominate Chris Hughton for our longest Premier League unbeaten run in the 21st century, keeping us up his only full season in charge with our highest League finish of the 21st century, that awesome 1-0 win against Man U, and that 3-2 win against Man City.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Lambert.

That's not the manager I rate the highest by the way, think the stars just aligned and he was the right man at the right time, but what a three years he delivered us.

People will point out the betrayal but by leaving when he did it meant we didn't have bad season under him, and he hardly left us in a bad place did he, if he'd stayed for all we know he could have been sacked by October the following year, such is football.

Couldn't help but be fond of Ron Ashman. Played for us for so long and then managed us. And Martin O'Neill looked to be starting something before the acrimonious departure. But Saunders gave me the greatest joy because we made Wembley and got to the First Division. I never believed we would ever do it. He started it all off.

• Like 3

Amazing how many people whose memories go back to the late 80s and early 90s (and earlier!), when we were objectively much more successful, are still putting Farke in the conversation with Stringer/Walker etc

Recency bias plays a part, of course, but it also goes to show that it isn't just about results, or league position. We really did have something special under Daniel.

Brown, for the Wembley win (let’s ignore the accompanying relegation)

Stringer, turned us into a serious force and our highest-ever top tier finish. 

Walker, for managing to go one place better and getting so, so close to the impossible. 

Worthy, for getting a couple of penalties away from the promised land after so long, then that wonderful championship. 

Lambert, for those three incredible seasons. 

Neil, for the rescue-turned-Wembley winner half season. 

Farke, for those two phenomenal Championship titles. 

Looking back, we’ve had some truly great times.

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Brown for the great days when I first went with Duncan.

Worthy for the great days when I first went with Helen.

Neil and Farke for the great days with the grandkids.

💛💚

this is a lovely post, Nutty.

Also good to see someone give a shout-out to Worthy. Those were some dark days before he made us respectable again, then added Hucks... The play-off semi-final against Wolves is one of my all-time favourite Carrow Road days.

• Like 1

Farke's wink. 

If there was ever such a thing as a single, simple gesture that summed up a manager's reign, it was that. It showed the confidence and composure of the man, and the confidence and composure with which his two Championship-winning sides did precisely that.

• Like 1

Anybody who ever ran the length of that pitch at Watford in the pouring rain has got to say Ron Saunders.

He took us from nowhere and created the foundations for everything that followed.

Wasn't exactly cuddly, but down to earth and to the point.

13 minutes ago, Hughie Curran's fruitcake said:

Anybody who ever ran the length of that pitch at Watford in the pouring rain has got to say Ron Saunders.

He took us from nowhere and created the foundations for everything that followed.

Agreed, promotion to Division One followed by a Wembley cup final soon after, dreamland for what had come before. 

Fall somewhere between Walker, Farke and Lambert.  Probably have to put Walker top though, just being the age I was at the time and the world opening up for me - paid my way to follow the club home and away, through Europe and adored the guy.  Atmosphere was great back then too.

I really loved Brown, but too young/naive to remember much outside of the Semi and Cup finals so couldn't put him nearer the top which is a bit sad.  Especially, thinking that we should've been in Europe the following year, I know we got relegated and our route to the milk cup final was a lot easier than Sunderland,  but he/we were robbed of that chance - does make you wonder if it would've changed anything.

Lambert I still adore, don't care what people write or say about the guy - he brought so many great lasting memories to this club, and Farke just brought a different kind of magic, iconic like character - I can't help but think of his mural on the pub wall when I hear his name and think of the love and togetherness - true legend.

Edited by Google Bot

We have had some great seasons and incredibly memorable matches, playing tasty football under Lambert, and Farke (Walker and O'Neill were before my time).

Alex Neil worth a mention too for salvaging the "Wembley season" and seeing off Town in the play-offs, and the outstanding performance for the win over Boro on the day. His spell was great considering how young he was when he he took the Norwich job.

Saunders, Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker, Lambert, Neil and Farke.

All different degrees of success and special in their own way. 

At times it's been 'Magic Gerry'.

2 hours ago, Hughie Curran's fruitcake said:

...and who scored our goal that day?