Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

Whats wrong with just putting your foot through it?

19 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

What the ……is Gegenpress ?

🤓👉 The term "gegenpressing" derives from the German for "counter-pressing". At its core, this means to win the ball back from the opposition immediately after losing it, preferably in advanced areas of the pitch.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Jurgen Klopp has popularised it at Liverpool. It's just a phrase used to describe a particular footballing philosophy.

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Think it was used to print the first ever Bible 

Wasn't that the Guttenbucket Press ? Named after the stout monks who operated it.

Where does the term ‘counter-pressing’ originate?

Pressing, or applying pressure to the ball, is one of the five defensive principles of play, and has been an aspect of the game since football was invented. It grew in prominence from the 1960s onwards, when the likes of Viktor Maslov, Ernst Happel, Rinus Michels, Valeriy Lobanovskyi and Arrigo Sacchi all had their teams adopt an aggressive press.

More specifically, counter-pressing is a translation from the German word ‘gegenpress'. 

So basically it's been around a long time  but people jump on yhe bandwagon now. Redefine words put a few videos together and take so much credit. Chancers. Football is simple , 

Ragnick ha ha. Soccerbot  salesman. Man U manager . Ha@havinalaugh.gegenpress my aŕse.

From the 1960's ffs. 

Edited by Mengo

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

🤓👉 The term "gegenpressing" derives from the German for "counter-pressing". At its core, this means to win the ball back from the opposition immediately after losing it, preferably in advanced areas of the pitch.

Someone discovered Wikipedia 

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

Someone discovered Wikipedia 

Discovered it? More than likely that CC writes every single article on it 🤣

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Actually it was the bloke they named the cake with coloured sponge and marzipan after. Gutenberg

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Discovered it? More than likely that CC writes every single article on it 🤣

He must be on it and the Guinness Book of Records

51 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Wasn't that the Guttenbucket Press ? Named after the stout monks who operated it.

Nope Johannes Guttenberg made the Guttenberg press.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

As I understand it, the aim is to win the ball back high up the pitch as soon as you’ve lost it,  and then attack immediately while they other side haven’t got their defensive shape together.

so it’s a very specific idea.

And very different to Farkeball when we’d normally pass it around safely after winning it back and build attacks gradually from the back.

My one comment would be that you can’t do it all game, there needs to be an understanding amongst the players of when to go for it.

And of course it’s harder against Prem teams who have better passers.

Yes I realise that’s 2 comments.

• Like 1

Arsenal , under Wenger , had a philosophy of winning the ball within 5 seconds of losing it . If you watched them train the academy  coaches would count out loud if one team lost possession. 
It isn’t a new idea. But the law change a few years back (ball not having to leave the 18 yard box to be in play) has drawn it to more attention as teams play out from the back. 

20 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

63% of statistics are made up.

More than that probably .70 maybe?

Or as Mark Twain popularized the quote most attributed to the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli, “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.”  The quote is meant to highlight the deceiving but persuasive power of numbers.

And we just love bullSh!t in football now.

Conned By the butchers, bakers and candle stick makers  to coin a phrase. 

con men, chancers , charlatans  etc.etc.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Actually it was the bloke they named the cake with coloured sponge and marzipan after. Gutenberg

I used to love watching "call my bluff"

😀

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

@hogesar will know. 😂

It's literally just counter-pressing so yeah, you'd think most football fans would have a rough idea...😉

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

It's what guarantees you'll win the Champions League within 4 seasons on Football Manager with Norwich....

• Haha 1

To get back to the OP

Watch our 4th goal again - putting your foot through it is precisely what Aarons did - is Wagner just a hoofball merchant? 😜 

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Nope Johannes Guttenberg made the Guttenberg press.

Nah. Wrong. He was that curly haired ** in police academy 

• Haha 2

Does anyone else remember watching Alex Neil's annoyed reaction to being asked about Gegenpressing? Might have been before the game v Huddersfield when we got spanked but he was visibly annoyed and said something along the lines of 'what pressing? Yeah I know what it is, it's called winning the ball back it's been around forever'. I love that style of football and have always wanted it at Norwich but I laughed pretty hard when he angrily batted away that question from some reporter. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

7 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Watch Liverpool under Klopp (maybe prior to this season though!) and you should quickly see what it means. 

6 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

As I understand it, the aim is to win the ball back high up the pitch as soon as you’ve lost it,  and then attack immediately while they other side haven’t got their defensive shape together.

so it’s a very specific idea.

And very different to Farkeball when we’d normally pass it around safely after winning it back and build attacks gradually from the back.

My one comment would be that you can’t do it all game, there needs to be an understanding amongst the players of when to go for it.

And of course it’s harder against Prem teams who have better passers.

Yes I realise that’s 2 comments.

Farke’s Norwich did press, situationally.. particularly in the full back area as the trigger. You are correct to point out Farke was a possession based coach, with the idea being to entice the opposition, draw them in and play through will rehearsed moves. At premier league level you do need elite ball progressing players to do this successfully. 
Robert Di Zerbi is really good at coaching this style. He’ll get his teams to take a goal kick to a player within the penalty area, so they’re very much baiting from their own 6 yard box. Brighton have got really good at it already. 

So whilst Wagner wants us to be aggressive it is indeed impossible to chase all game, so there’ll be coached patterns and triggers. If he continues with the 4-2-2-2, yes, that’s my take, I’ll predict a lot of central pressing, also out wide with the fullback pushing high, and the entire team shifting across. With the opposite fullback tucking in to make a back 3. 

This is exciting. The mashing fist we had in the box against Preston was one of my favourite tactical approaches I’ve ever seen as a Norwich fan. 

• Like 1

It's not just pressing to retrieve the ball though. It's also an attacking philosophy about playing with an incisive penetrative attack immediately after winning it as It's Character Forming has suggested.  It's the main difference between Guardiola and Klopp and potentially between Farke and Wagner.  

Edit: Hadn't seen Mr Raumdeuter's post before mine.  His is a good description.

Edited by Barham Blitz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AJ said:

Watch Liverpool under Klopp (maybe prior to this season though!) and you should quickly see what it means. 

Taking excess caffeine? So is it some kind of coffee maker then , like a French Press or cafetiere? 

19 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Never mind that, WTF is La Salida Lavolpiana?

The linked tweets say “In possession, McLean often dropped between the centre backs, or between one centre back and a full back, to create a back three. This is a relatively unknown tactical concept called La Salida Lavolpiana”.

“Relatively unknown”? Really? The name maybe, but surely the  DM dropping back to form a back three while one or both wingbacks move up the pitch is hardly rocket science. 

<Waits for someone to explain why I am missing the subtleties involved>

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“Relatively unknown”? Really? The name maybe, but surely the  DM dropping back to form a back three while one or both wingbacks move up the pitch is hardly rocket science. 

It ain't rocket science, but my heavy criticism of McLean stems from the fact he never did it (until Preston last Weekend). 

As for La Salida Lavolpiana, it literally translates as "The Lavolpian Exit". It sounds more like something from the Kama Sutra than a football coaching manual!

• Like 1