Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Could this be BETTER than Farkeball?

26 minutes ago, YellaYellowYella said:

You'd be surprised.

Well you havent been paying attention then if you expect anything  other than overreaction  on here.

While it’s very true that erring on the side of caution here after one game is probably the best approach with regard to managing expectation; with the formless dross of the preceding 15+ months as a contextual backdrop, I think it’s fine to get excited right now. We’ve been so starved of any form of tangible enjoyment/passion/excitement/hope for so long - and with Wagner, we’ve seen real signs of all of those things. Just in that one game of Saturday.

I don’t think it’s fair to begrudge anyone a little bit of ‘getting carried away’, even if the ensuing optimism can appear at first to be a little far-reaching. I don’t think (m)any of us genuinely thought *so many* aspects of our game would be turned around so quickly - it was such a huge leap from the Blackburn & Luton games in particular and I can’t remember the last time I  still felt so ‘up’ 3 days after a match. 

Wagner has a long way to go to be anywhere near Farke for me, the next match will be a real test (will we see a continuation of Saturday, or was it just the classic ‘new manager bounce’); sustaining that level through the rest of this season (and beyond) will be a bigger test still. But if Saturday was a true indication of what we *can* be, then I’d say cautious optimism is very much justified. 

Then it’ll be back to the hope that’ll kill us, instead of the reality. 

Edited by mrdi

22 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Is that brave little avian about to be catapulted to infinity & beyond, or just blown up? I'm confused   🙃

You know about canaries in coalmines, right? This is a device where they would try and resuscitate the birds before they died. There is a little oxygen tank at the top. A canary resuscitator. 

After finding this pic online, I thought it was apt to use it here 😂 

• Thanks 1

I've always said that even though Norwich fans think they want passing football, what they actually want is attacking football. As good as the Farke years were I'm still yet to hear CR as consistently loud and supportive as it was during the Lambert years when we had an extremely hard working team who attacked teams and did the basics well. That team wasn't flashy with it's football, but they 9 times out of 10 out-worked the opposition, did the simple things well, attacked teams and created chances at will. 

Those nifty passages of play under Farke often got a good round of applause and a bit of a roar, but what really gets the crowd going and behind the team is attacking teams relentlessly, getting shots on goal, taking players on, making a strong tackle and seeing that every player is giving their all and getting in the oppositions faces. I know it's only been one game but that's what Wagner's football is all about and I have no doubt that if he gets us going and playing his way in full effect the crowd will love it. I also think should we get promoted that hard working, attacking, pressing football will be a bit more effective than patient passing football as well and even though we still might not stay up it won't be quite as embarrassing as the last couple of times. 

I think fans sometimes look back on the Farke years with rose tinted glasses. CR in that first promotion season was often quiet when we were slowly building play and tippy tappyng it about. It was only when we actually got forward and attacked teams with that passing football or scored the first goal that the crowd got behind the team. I honestly believe fans will like this style of football more, but again it's with the caveat that we can deliver in consistently and get results with it. The next few weeks and matches are going to be crucial. A few wins and I can see us really taking off under Wagner, if it doesn't go well the player's heads might drop and we'll lose the chance to see that type of football here because it requires the players to be fully confident and committed to make it work. 

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I've always said that even though Norwich fans think they want passing football, what they actually want is attacking football. As good as the Farke years were I'm still yet to hear CR as consistently loud and supportive as it was during the Lambert years when we had an extremely hard working team who attacked teams and did the basics well. That team wasn't flashy with it's football, but they 9 times out of 10 out-worked the opposition, did the simple things well, attacked teams and created chances at will. 

Those nifty passages of play under Farke often got a good round of applause and a bit of a roar, but what really gets the crowd going and behind the team is attacking teams relentlessly, getting shots on goal, taking players on, making a strong tackle and seeing that every player is giving their all and getting in the oppositions faces. I know it's only been one game but that's what Wagner's football is all about and I have no doubt that if he gets us going and playing his way in full effect the crowd will love it. I also think should we get promoted that hard working, attacking, pressing football will be a bit more effective than patient passing football as well and even though we still might not stay up it won't be quite as embarrassing as the last couple of times. 

I think fans sometimes look back on the Farke years with rose tinted glasses. CR in that first promotion season was often quiet when we were slowly building play and tippy tappyng it about. It was only when we actually got forward and attacked teams with that passing football or scored the first goal that the crowd got behind the team. I honestly believe fans will like this style of football more, but again it's with the caveat that we can deliver in consistently and get results with it. The next few weeks and matches are going to be crucial. A few wins and I can see us really taking off under Wagner, if it doesn't go well the player's heads might drop and we'll lose the chance to see that type of football here because it requires the players to be fully confident and committed to make it work. 

You’re absolutely right about the Lambert team. Finishing 2nd in the Championship straight after winning League One was crazy. 

Great bunch of lads in that squad and great times indeed. 

• Like 1