Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Our lack of wingers about to be solved? Player linked

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Do you have to write all your threads like you're doing an unpaid internship at one of those dodgy clickbait sites?

How else am I getting the sun or daily mail to notice me and get me employed?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How else am I getting the sun or daily mail to notice me and get me employed?

"Another foreigner coming over here to take YOUR job."

That'd work.👍

• Haha 3

Lack of wingers???!?????!!??

Tzolis, Rashica, Placheta, Hernandez…

..not to mention Rowe, Cantwell, Springett, Sargent…

..shall we spend some more millions on the least desirable role in modern football??…🤣🤣🤣

Parma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

..shall we spend some more millions on the least desirable role in modern football??…🤣🤣🤣

Parma

thank you. We don't need a winger. We need a DM to fill the Hayden-shaped hole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But is that a DCM, a CDM or a M who plays D and C or a D who can play C and M or all four? 🤷😅

Apples

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Parma

"Tzolis, Rashica, Placheta, Hernandez…

..not to mention Rowe, Cantwell, Springett, Sargent…"

Six of those are not available - injury, loan sulking. Leaving two out of eight

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Do keep up, @PurpleCanary mentioned this hours ago.

CB87E812-E205-4991-A852-125BA8BDAF18.jpeg

Unusually I have actually seen Konrad de la Fuente play, as he came on as a sub for Olympique Marseille in our pre-season game, but I can’t say I noticed him particularly.

8 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

"Tzolis, Rashica, Placheta, Hernandez…

..not to mention Rowe, Cantwell, Springett, Sargent…"

Six of those are not available - injury, loan sulking. Leaving two out of eight

Sargent, and Cantwell aren’t wingers…….

leaving only 1 - Hernandez.

I think the old fashioned style winger who plays wide, gets to the byline and hits crosses in is pretty useless in modern football and we have enough already in Rashica/Placheta/Tzolis but the other type of wide player who is quick with the ball at their feet, skillful and prefers to cut inside and take players on (like an upgrade on Hernandez or a similar type of player to Redmond/Huckerby or in modern times Sarr/Zaha/Saint-Maximin) is exactly what we need you see a lot of other clubs have a lot of success with players like that.

I know nothing about this player, but I'm not going to think of him as a winger just because that's how The Pink Un have described him. I agree with everything Parma has said in the past about the obsolescence of players like Tzolis, Placheta and Rashica who are all very much chalk on their boots wingers and if this guy is in a similar mold then I agrre with the thought that we have more than enough already. However if he's more a Hernandez type player but has a bit more end product then I think we're extremely light with that type of player in the squad and could really do with another option

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I think the old fashioned style winger who plays wide, gets to the byline and hits crosses in is pretty useless in modern football and we have enough already in Rashica/Placheta/Tzolis but the other type of wide player who is quick with the ball at their feet, skillful and prefers to cut inside and take players on (like an upgrade on Hernandez or a similar type of player to Redmond/Huckerby or in modern times Sarr/Zaha/Saint-Maximin) is exactly what we need you see a lot of other clubs have a lot of success with players like that.

I know nothing about this player, but I'm not going to think of him as a winger just because that's how The Pink Un have described him. I agree with everything Parma has said in the past about the obsolescence of players like Tzolis, Placheta and Rashica who are all very much chalk on their boots wingers and if this guy is in a similar mold then I agrre with the thought that we have more than enough already. However if he's more a Hernandez type player but has a bit more end product then I think we're extremely light with that type of player in the squad and could really do with another option

old fashioned inside Forward !! 

i agree Ruel Fox types days have gone even though i am sure fox could play in a front 3 we could do with his pace right now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

old fashioned inside Forward !! 

i agree Ruel Fox types days have gone even though i am sure fox could play in a front 3 we could do with his pace right now 

Norfolkngood and Christoph Stiepermann you've nailed it - the inside forward is in vogue at the mo. The winger isn't dead as such...their job has simply been delegated to the modern wing-back. They are the players that will go nearer to the by-line and put in those high and long, low % chance crosses.

Inside forwards will operate either side of the front man, supporting and dove tailing with them. They need to chip in with goals, be direct, pacey and will deliver those higher % crosses that originate inside the penalty box that are fast, low and nasty. They will normally play inverted - lefty on the right, righty on the left - the ability to cut inside and belt one at the keeper being king.

OTBC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Tzolis - Out on loan

Rashica - Out on loan

Placheta - Injured

Onel - Yes

Rowe - Injured

Cantwell - Gone gone gone

Springett - Out on loan

Sargent - Central/Striker

So a big fat ONE who's fit and available to play.... I'd say we're pretty low on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

But is that a DCM, a CDM or a M who plays D and C or a D who can play C and M or all four? 🤷😅

Apples

It’s a K E N N Y   M C L E A N.

16 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

fullbacks are our wingers now.

I read that in the voice of Papa Lazarou haha. 👍

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Tzolis - Out on loan

Rashica - Out on loan

Placheta - Injured

Onel - Yes

Rowe - Injured

Cantwell - Gone gone gone

Springett - Out on loan

Sargent - Central/Striker

So a big fat ONE who's fit and available to play.... I'd say we're pretty low on the ground.

Stesdy on there chap. Can't have facts spoiling things. Whereas in reality we are rather short of attacking players. Pukki, Sargeant, Idah and Onel, yet we still get comments on here about the defence. Defensive Midfield is covered by McLean, Sorensen, Gibbs.The idea that wingers are 'old fashioned' is absurd. It is not about having a player who hogs the toughlinemfor 90 mins, but a player who can use speed to get past the opposition and hit a pass towards another player accurately. That he will also come inside, as with Aarons and Giannolous, doesn't negate that ability or need.

On 16/01/2023 at 18:54, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Parma

I was with you until you called Sargent a winger. You are Dean Smith and I'll claim my £10 😅

• Haha 1

If its a winger we want could consider Paul Smyth of Leyton Orient.  He is fast and very direct and scores goals.  Only drawback is he plays Div 2, not a profile for a City recruit, Webber seemingly not interested in young English players.  Would be cheap and fit into our wage structure, unfortunately left sided up against top rankers such as Rash and Placeta.  Watch him get a move and tear up the Champs.