Sign in to follow this  
canarybubbles

Let's be patient even when it's not like yesterday.

Those of us who wanted Smith out at the end of last season didn't say that because we were relegated, but because there was absolutely zero sign of any improvement over 27 games. Wagner came into a similar situation of very low expectations, but after yesterday's performance I'm scared we'll get impatient if the turnaround is slow or patchy. 

Don't get me wrong - yesterday was wonderful, like washing a pile of dirty laundry that had stunk the place out for 13 months. But a better team than Preston would still have punished us defensively. It took two great saves from Krul to prevent them scoring, plus they should have netted after Krul's customary suicide pass out of his goal. Going forward we were a revelation, but long-term we'll need a better balance. I'm sure Wagner knows what he is doing and will sort it out.

So let's be patient if it's two steps forward, one step back. There's still a hell of a lot of work to be done to correct the corrosive decline of the past year. For me, any progress this season will still be a bonus. 

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Those of us who wanted Smith out at the end of last season didn't say that because we were relegated, but because there was absolutely zero sign of any improvement over 27 games. Wagner came into a similar situation of very low expectations, but after yesterday's performance I'm scared we'll get impatient if the turnaround is slow or patchy. 

Don't get me wrong - yesterday was wonderful, like washing a pile of dirty laundry that had stunk the place out for 13 months. But a better team than Preston would still have punished us defensively. It took two great saves from Krul to prevent them scoring, plus they should have netted after Krul's customary suicide pass out of his goal. Going forward we were a revelation, but long-term we'll need a better balance. I'm sure Wagner knows what he is doing and will sort it out.

So let's be patient if it's two steps forward, one step back. There's still a hell of a lot of work to be done to correct the corrosive decline of the past year. For me, any progress this season will still be a bonus. 

Thanks for this. I’m out of likes but I agree with you 100%.

Look, just take it fake by game and type what you see. It’s not hard.

so far, I’m impressed. All he had to do was show me some sort of a spark that he’s got an idea what he’s doing and yesterday he over-delivered for sure.

A lot of people think I’m now a serial “sack him now” guy when I never have been in the past. I’m not going to ignore obvious red flags though. None seen so far with Wagner.

• Like 1

For me it's as simple as being able to discern a clear footballing philosophy from what's happening on the pitch. I don't mind if results are patchy, especially initially, but I want to see a coherent plan on display. As long as Sargent isn't stuck out on the wing and we don't revert to a 4-3-3 I'll be ok even if we lose a few. 

• Like 5

As long as there is clear progress, and things are moving in the right direction then the fans will absolutely give him time. The problem with Smith is he was putting out the same XI with the same gameplan every week and it was just crap week in week out. Yesterday was already a clear change in that, the players were up for it and the confidence flowed through the team, especially after that second goal. That performance will have got most fans on board no doubt, I'm excited to see what he can do now. Playoffs is a must and we've still got a lot of work to do to achieve that. 

Agree with the sentiment to a point but supporters will always reflect on performances , good or bad. At the end of the day it's a result business, but Wagner has to be given space to engrain the type of performances we saw yesterday so that they occur pretty much every week. The stark reality is if you want to be top 2 in the Championship or 17th or better in the Premier League it's precisely what's required.

Wagner arrived with a lot of pomp and fanfare, virtually a video of him going to the bog, but that was nice in a way and got supporters on board very quickly.

We now need to see if the players can win at home at Carrow Rd, so far the players have choked pretty much every game here. One step at a time.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

so far, I’m impressed. All he had to do was show me some sort of a spark that he’s got an idea what he’s doing and yesterday he over-delivered for sure.

A lot of people think I’m now a serial “sack him now” guy when I never have been in the past. I’m not going to ignore obvious red flags though. None seen so far with Wagner.

I have not seen the xG yet but 4 nil sounds quite encouraging. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

For me it's as simple as being able to discern a clear footballing philosophy from what's happening on the pitch. I don't mind if results are patchy, especially initially, but I want to see a coherent plan on display. As long as Sargent isn't stuck out on the wing and we don't revert to a 4-3-3 I'll be ok even if we lose a few. 

I mean even in the cup match we might have lost but we dominated the game and quite frankly should have won 3-1 if not for our finishing being awful. 

Its clear to see Wagners philosophy 

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think the majority of us are patient.

As pointed out already with Wagner we already see a philosophy and plan.

I always refer back to nice guy Chris. Not great for us and played very dull football but we knew his plan. We could see he was trying to smash and grab or grind out draws. We could see the philosophy.

This is where we got it wrong with Smith, never a plan or a philosophy. 

The mistake was wasting half a season with him. I can actually forgive Webber for panicking but I can't forgive him for not shoving a "keep us up or...." Clause in his contact.

Smith looked like someone who had just loaded football manager and was playing a striker on the wing rather than a pro football manager.

Which reminds me, maybe we should have taken a look at Will Still as manager 🤣😂

• Like 1

Yesterday was a breath of fresh air. Smith really wasn't a good fit and we now have a manager fit to follow in Farke's footsteps. Let's hope he can continue the improvements, as it wasn't perfect out there yesterday, a lot to improve still!

That’s all Norwich fans want a team that attacks and gives 100% 

many Norwich fans know we do not win them all but as long as the manager & players show desire and passion that’s all we ask 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Exactly this. I’ve only ever stirred for a sacking when it is abundantly clear that something is wrong. I’m otherwise patient. Before someone jumps on saying ‘but people wanted Farke out in the beginning’, I wasn’t one of them, most were not but you’ll always get some that decide one way or the other. I think people see a forum as a large sample when it’s in reality tiny. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Exactly this. I’ve only ever stirred for a sacking when it is abundantly clear that something is wrong. I’m otherwise patient. Before someone jumps on saying ‘but people wanted Farke out in the beginning’, I wasn’t one of them, most were not but you’ll always get some that decide one way or the other. I think people see a forum as a large sample when it’s in reality tiny. 

I'm not one for calling for sackings, would rather we had a long term manager who rode the ups and downs, but this was the first time since Roeder that it has been clear for me that the manager needed to go. Not been to games for a couple of years now, but still watched every game possible - and it was really difficult to watch every team you played against looking more "at it" than us. Win draw or lose, it was becoming harder to watch. Yesterday has shown we do have something about us after all - the shackles are off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm not one for calling for sackings, would rather we had a long term manager who rode the ups and downs, but this was the first time since Roeder that it has been clear for me that the manager needed to go. Not been to games for a couple of years now, but still watched every game possible - and it was really difficult to watch every team you played against looking more "at it" than us. Win draw or lose, it was becoming harder to watch. Yesterday has shown we do have something about us after all - the shackles are off.

i Agree Lakey when you watch lesser teams doing what we should be doing to them its time for the manager to go 

Desire / Passion / Workrate and a Plan ! 

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

But a better team than Preston would still have punished us defensively. It took two great saves from Krul to prevent them scoring

Whilst I agree he made two great saves, that is what keepers are there to do, if we defended so well that great saves were not needed then we could play with a ball playing defender in goal.  Alisson, Ederson, de Gea, etc. etc. all make great saves, it's what makes them great keepers and they play behind some of the best defences in the land, and they too have blunders in them, de Gea last week, Ederson rushing out yesterday.  To expect our defence to be so solid as to render the keeper redundant is wishful thinking and very unlikely to happen, no mater which team you are.

Completely in agreement with the OP. There's no sense in spoiling the enjoyment of it for the sake of worrying where we are at the end of the season; successful seasons are built on results game-by-game over the long-haul,  and this season still has a fair way to go.