Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Kenny McLean

Picked as a starter by yet another managerial/coaching team. Outstanding performance, and singled out for praise by Wagner.

Discuss. 

• Like 2

I couldn't be less surprised. And there's a few posters who have most certainly avoided this forum 😅😅

• Like 8

I can see both sides of the argument to be honest, but I actually think he's playing some of the best football he has ever played for us recently.

Let's hope he continues to improve.

• Like 1

To steal an Americanism he's always been a 'glue guy' in Norwich teams, he's always done a lot of underappreciated work. 

In this role in Wagner's system he can be a superstar. An interesting turn of events that I'm sure he's loving.

• Like 3

I have the balls to say I have criticised him but today first class worth the trip up to Preston

• Thanks 1

Kenny has by and large served NCFC with distinction, his workrate is excellent and he is a tenacious and proficient ball player. He has however, made a few mistakes in his time that have cost us points, the big but though, is, that he is bound to be guilty of this occasionally, because you can rarely if ever accuse him of going missing in a game. I have witnessed time after time in post match threads Kenny getting flack, mostly undeservedly, and if now, under Wagner he can change minds, I am ecstatic for him! 

Go Kenny! Go the Mayor!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from the game as this one is fairly local for me in North Wales - Kenny was amazing today!!! He covered every blade of grass, one most of, if not all of his tackles, made no Kenny mistakes and might have even scored. His lung busting cover run in the 90th minute epitomised his performance today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWC said:

Just got back from the game as this one is fairly local for me in North Wales - Kenny was amazing today!!! He covered every blade of grass, one most of, if not all of his tackles, made no Kenny mistakes and might have even scored. His lung busting cover run in the 90th minute epitomised his performance today. 

Also his great block when Krul gifted the ball to Preston just outside his area, saved a certain goal.

• Like 3

Can we have this McLean every week? Let’s be honest he’s not alone but he’s been pretty rubbish for the past 14 months…….but what a game he had today! MOM performance and that’s with two players scoring a brace each. 👍💚💛

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Can we have this McLean every week? Let’s be honest he’s not alone but he’s been pretty rubbish for the past 14 months…….but what a game he had today! MOM performance and that’s with two players scoring a brace each. 👍💚💛

He will get plenty of praise now as Krul will be scapegoat for the foreseeable future lol

Depends what he's being 'reinvented' as'...if we're now going to fudge him as our new defensive midfielder for the thd rest of the season instead of properly addressing it..then that's well short of what will be required.

Not the biggest fan of McLean but, today, he was superb... Now we need to see a more consistent performance across both 90 minutes and the remaining games.

16 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

There's more than a chance he could win the Barry Butler. Would be worth it for the reaction. 

I'm in.

When does voting start🙃

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

There's more than a chance he could win the Barry Butler. Would be worth it for the reaction. 

Until Wagner came in he had more chance of winning the Billy Butlins trophy!

Played very well today and has never been as bad as some make out, despite some deficiencies. However, a reasonable concern is; if he is your best central midfielder when you are in the Premier League (he was), you're in trouble (we were). I still think he could play a role in the squad at that level though.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 1

McLean is back to how he was last time in the Championship, maybe even a bit better.

There are some people who hate him, but a lot of his critics are like me and rate him at this level but think our reliance on him in our two EPL seasons is a key reason why we ended up bottom both times.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Depends what he's being 'reinvented' as'...if we're now going to fudge him as our new defensive midfielder for the thd rest of the season instead of properly addressing it..then that's well short of what will be required.

Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaahhaahhaahhahahahaha

You said he wasn't a good enough player for the Championship. I repeatedly warned you how stupid that looked..

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Pukki, Sargent streets ahead of him, as was Gunn but if he's going back to the bench that will do for him.

If Aarons continues in his marauding, post-Smith form he could put himself in contention.

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaahhaahhaahhahahahaha

You said he wasn't a good enough player for the Championship. I repeatedly warned you how stupid that looked..

A reminder of how many points we are away from the top 2

He's not good enough for a top 2 championship team any longer as has been amply demonstated this season

We're not going to get away with him being our defensive midfielder for the rest of the season,against better teams and if we think we have a chance of promotion through the playoffs

Dont be fooled by one game against a poor Preston 

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A reminder of how many points we are away from the top 2

He's not good enough for a top 2 championship team any longer as has been amply demonstated this season

We're not going to get away with him being our defensive midfielder for the rest of the season,against better teams and if we think we have a chance of promotion through the playoffs

Dont be fooled by one game against a poor Preston 

Oh so now it's not good enough for top 2 championship. That's not what you said before. Keep moving those goalposts. 

And I'm not being fooled by one game against Preston because I've consistently said McLean is a good midfielder for this level. 

23 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

McLean has always been one of our best players. I really don't care if others can't see it. Farke, Smith and now Wagner.

Still, others must know better.

Absolutely spot on.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh so now it's not good enough for top 2 championship. That's not what you said before. Keep moving those goalposts. 

And I'm not being fooled by one game against Preston because I've consistently said McLean is a good midfielder for this level. 

What goalposts?

You kept banging on about him being part of a championship winning team 2 and 4 seasons ago...I've said that is now irrelevant as he isnt at that level anymore to be a good enough midfielder to help win us automatic promotion..and certsinly not when he doesnt have an Oliver Skipp next to him...and that our midfield needed improving

'The Championship' is a fairly broad range.

Yes he's still good enough to play in it...but only for a club with mid-lower table aspirstions ..not with title/promition winning ones

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

What goalposts?

You kept banging on about him being part of a championship winning team 2 and 4 seasons ago...I've said that is now irrelevant as he isnt at that level anymore to be a good enough midfielder to help win us automatic promotion..and certsinly not when he doesnt have an Oliver Skipp next to him...and that our midfield needed improving

'Thd Championship' us a fairly broad range.

Yes he's still good enough to play in it...but only for a club with mid-lower table aspirstions ..not with title/promition winning ones

But but but...

1st, 1st and currently 7th.

• Like 1