Petriix

Who still thinks these players aren't good enough?

Lots of posts recently have questioned the quality of the squad. I've been pretty critical of the recruitment, but I've repeatedly highlighted that most of our last Championship winning team are still here.

What we're seeing today is the players being freed to express themselves. The contrast with Smith's incoherent system is night and day. Is anyone going to come out and claim that Smith was a decent manager who did his best with a poor squad?

• Like 7

One game doesn’t make us premiership quality, but what a change in intensity, organisation and attitude. Certainly looking forward to seeing highlights. 
As I always said Smith was just to beige, no great enthusiasm nor any idea on organising a team. Different attitude in all areas.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Lots of posts recently have questioned the quality of the squad. I've been pretty critical of the recruitment, but I've repeatedly highlighted that most of our last Championship winning team are still here.

What we're seeing today is the players being freed to express themselves. The contrast with Smith's incoherent system is night and day. Is anyone going to come out and claim that Smith was a decent manager who did his best with a poor squad?

The issue the vast majority of Norwich sides have had is that they usually need to achieve more than the sum of their parts. It relies heavily upon team spirit, confidence and unity with the fans.

They have not been playing well as a team, in having the ball or without it. You do those well, and the team effort can produce more. There is no doubt these players are strong for this league, but the question has been about whether they can deliver consistently. That question remains at the moment. 

It’s far from our most stellar squad ever, and there’s plenty of squad related clouds on the horizon with contracts and whatnot, but Dean Smith is the worst Norwich manager in living memory. Absolutely horrendous. It’s showed very much today.

• Like 2

Imagine if our summer signings actually turned out to be quality? Sara really does have the physical attributes and decent vision - he could be a big big player if he continues to progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Cue: @littleyellowbirdie 😘

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Imagine if our summer signings actually turned out to be quality? Sara really does have the physical attributes and decent vision - he could be a big big player if he continues to progress.

Let’s wait and see how they both get on under someone who seems a bit more switched on than smith was. We can judge them more I feel after 3-4 months under Wagner. 

Just now, hogesar said:

I think he's been pretty good for a while now, it's funny that when he joined all the chatter was that he was signed to add a goal threat from midfield and maybe not to expect too much from him on the ball. I thought today he looked like a complete midfielder.

• Like 1

to answer more seriously, this group of players should be good enough to finish in the top six of this league this season. They clearly weren't going to under Smith, which was why his sacking was correct. Hopefully this isn't just new manager bounce and the tune that Wagner clearly got out of them today can last as long as his namesake's.

• Like 2

Time for a complete refresh with all the players, it's safe to say it's unfair to comment on any of their ability whilst Smith was here, Dowell proof of that today.

Good today, but the mistakes and poor decision making is still in evidence at times. Krul is still a liability passing the ball out, Aarons doesn't deliver enough good crosses, Sargent still looks clumsy trying to control the ball.....but what was better was the speed and freedom with which the players played - and that will help those players to find their best form. 

Great start though and very promising!

4 minutes ago, repman said:

I think he's been pretty good for a while now, it's funny that when he joined all the chatter was that he was signed to add a goal threat from midfield and maybe not to expect too much from him on the ball. I thought today he looked like a complete midfielder.

One of the things I did like about Smith was that he eased Sara in very gently and didn't expect too much of him too soon. From that perspective, it's a shame that, if Sara does kick on, it won't benefit Smith.

One game at a time. Today was not perfect but absolutely brilliant to watch and exciting seeing the goals going in. The tactics and style were spot on. And that is one game under the belt. I am hopeful that we will see even more improvement at Coventry.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

One game at a time. Today was not perfect but absolutely brilliant to watch and exciting seeing the goals going in. The tactics and style were spot on. And that is one game under the belt. I am hopeful that we will see even more improvement at Coventry.

Brilliant to watch = full blooded support with a team so much easier to get behind. Whether that’s with an emphatic win or a 0-1 defeat to Blackburn in the cup it’s so so SO much more than smith ever looked like providing. 

OT f***ing BC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Good enough for what?    They are good enough for the Championship, there are very few good enough to step up.    One result against an out of form team doesn’t change that!    Wagner can only do so much and he needs time! 

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nice to hear this Hoggy. Because I have been so, so pissed off with some of the things said about him. I watched this guy many many times in Brazil 🇧🇷  and with the correct attributes , you know what I mean. He was bound to come good. He is a quality player and now hopefully he's in the right 👐 hands.

Cmon Gabi , looking like yer old self. Good to see. Start enjoying 😉

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We're two points off 6th with 39 points. We only picked up 3 today so if the players are actually good enough we should comfortably make the play offs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Nice to hear this Hoggy. Because I have been so, so pissed off with some of the things said about him. I watched this guy many many times in Brazil 🇧🇷  and with the correct attributes , you know what I mean. He was bound to come good. He is a quality player and now hopefully he's in the right 👐 hands.

Cmon Gabi , looking like yer old self. Good to see. Start enjoying 😉

You know I agree Mengo. I don't see the negative performances others do. He is improving but was never that bad. Him and Nunez have both done well considering the difference if intensity they found in the Championship.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

What was the formation in the end today? I couldn't work it out from the team sheet.

4-2-3-1, narrow 3 with overlapping full backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2