Sign in to follow this  
Rottingdean canary

How quickly can we improve

I watched most of the S'ton v Man City last night and was very impressed with S'ton.  It sounded a week ago as though the S'ton fans had already become disillusioned with the prospect of Nathan Jones turning things around but now they have won away v Palace and beaten a top side like Man City.  

It struck me that Jones has them set up in a way similar to what we are expecting under Wagner - high press, full backs pushed higher up the pitch etc - Jones is also a very exuberant character - more so than Wagner but a lot more than Smith - and seemed to have a great relationship with his players.

It then got me wondering if playing this style is a relatively quick way of improving things - perhaps more simple than the Farke style that took a season to get established.  Any thoughts?  If Jones has changed things quite quickly (and we'll have to see how they do v Everton at the weekend and in subsequent league games) then maybe Wagner can do likewise and we'll soon be starting to "hunt down" the teams ahead of us!!!

He simply has to do it quickly. We are losing games. It won't take too long with the compressed division to be in danger. Preston won't be easy when you are winning. Now it takes on the mantle of never mind thinking of promotion or relegation, get into the winning way again.

It was better against Blackburn. If we improve by the same margin again, we can win. Of course we can create and play as much as we want, but we must start scoring.

• Like 1

Got no doubt that we'll see much more improvement in our playing this weekend, but are you talking in regards to points?

If so, it's all about getting that win, and taking one of our chances... We could go 2-3 matches without a goal, and we could start on Saturday with a lucky goal inside 5 minutes.

So, for me luck definitely plays a part, and it's something Smith rarely had on his side.. I think bringing a plan and players buying in to it will definitely stack our odds further than we've had so far this season.   From there it depends on fitness, injuries and more mistakes from the opposition than ourselves.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I watched most of the S'ton v Man City last night and was very impressed with S'ton.  It sounded a week ago as though the S'ton fans had already become disillusioned with the prospect of Nathan Jones turning things around but now they have won away v Palace and beaten a top side like Man City.  

It struck me that Jones has them set up in a way similar to what we are expecting under Wagner - high press, full backs pushed higher up the pitch etc - Jones is also a very exuberant character - more so than Wagner but a lot more than Smith - and seemed to have a great relationship with his players.

It then got me wondering if playing this style is a relatively quick way of improving things - perhaps more simple than the Farke style that took a season to get established.  Any thoughts?  If Jones has changed things quite quickly (and we'll have to see how they do v Everton at the weekend and in subsequent league games) then maybe Wagner can do likewise and we'll soon be starting to "hunt down" the teams ahead of us!!!

The club posted some training photos on twitter, the session appeared to be under floodlights. It could be Wagners preference, or perhaps he got them in on a double session to sharpen them up on tactics and fitness. As people have already said, he needs things to change asap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

The club posted some training photos on twitter, the session appeared to be under floodlights. It could be Wagners preference, or perhaps he got them in on a double session to sharpen them up on tactics and fitness. As people have already said, he needs things to change asap.

Bah, you beat me to it, exactly as I was going to write. I concluded it must be have been a double session. However I have one caveat.

I think too much work on fitness is the only thing holding back a quick spark, remember Wagner's talk of how out of condition the squad was. Too many double sessions too quickly and given our past history, the treatment room is going to fill up very quickly! Will we still have a team to put out in a couple of weeks. It will be a delicate balance if he is to pull it off.

• Like 2

Wagner will be 🙂 fine.  I feel he is a good motivator and a good football coach. As long as the Webber man just stays out the way and doesn't  interfere with anything Wagner is doing . Trust in Wagner he's the man . Have a merry Wagner Christmas. Here we go we are on the way up  trust me. 

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I think what it goes to show is how results can influence fans more than performances. Even though we lost the Blackburn game, I thought you could see the processes that Wagner is trying to put in place. The idea was already clear, whereas under Smith I'm not sure you could pinpoint any discernible trait of his side. When Jones joined Southampton he said something about how the club 'looks deeper than results', I think as a club we are pretty similar. While results are crucial, I think had we come out of the world cup break a different animal as Smith had promised, then Webber wouldn't have sacked him even if results were bad. I thought Webber's interview with sky after sacking Smith was revealing, talking about how managers will revert to type when under pressure, and how that type needs to be one which fits with the club's view.

Just like how many said that even when we were winning games under Smith something didn't seem right, the inverse can be true for Wagner. Even in Farke's first season I can remember there being plenty of games we should've won but didn't and the fans remained reasonably onside then. As long as it feels like we're going somewhere, then it's important to stick with it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

How quickly can we improve

The sooner the better !

January 2023

Sky Bet Championship

Sat 14th

Preston North End 0.    Norwich-city 2.

Quick enough.  It's gonna happen!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unique said:

Wagner will be limited by the tools he is working with.

That's one way of describing them I suppose.

Confidence will be a huge factor in this and patience from the supporters.