Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Hugill to Reading?

Out of contract in the summer, can’t score, looks like a pub player and we paid £5 million……I think Webber would be happy to get him off the wages. Just can’t see why Reading would want Hugill, still we can only hope to free up funds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

I wonder what sort of finances would be involved, I would think we would try and get as close to 2.6m as possible.

I can't imagine that we would get 10% of that. Probably happy to shift his wages and create a bit of room that way.

• Like 2

Got to rank in the top 10 waste of money this club has ever paid for a “”””footballer”” in line with Naismith 

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

I can't imagine that we would get 10% of that. Probably happy to shift his wages and create a bit of room that way.

Yep, I'd be surprised if there is any fee involved. Championship teams are skint and he's almost out of contract.

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

Out of contract in the summer, can’t score, looks like a pub player and we paid £5 million……I think Webber would be happy to get him off the wages. Just can’t see why Reading would want Hugill, still we can only hope to free up funds.

I think he would be perfect for Reading. He would fit their style of play very well. A loan until the end of the season if it gets his salary off the books.

the problem is we have a lot of players out of contract and 250k here and there is not going to get us replacements ,

so sad we have really got to the stage where we are looking for free transfers and cheap players again 

13 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Makes a lot of sense, I wouldn’t be surprised if we covered part of his wages…..

If he hasn't asked for a transfer he is technically entitled to have his contact paid in full. So negotiations required all round 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t think we paid anything like £5m, but it’s gone down as being so alongside the £7m we never paid for Wildschutt.  Not that we do know what the figures were.

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think we paid anything like £5m, but it’s gone down as being so alongside the £7m we never paid for Wildschutt.  Not that we do know what the figures were.

I’m not sure, we paid an estimated initial 2.5 with add ons, I’m sure promotion was a goal, which we achieved but without knowing what each goal was games played etc. we might have paid close to the 5 million, I’m not sure it can be seen in the accounts published. It’ll no doubt be over 3 million I bet, but I know I said £5 million meaning it was the upper figure.

TBH I think if Hugill got a run of games, albeit unlikely, he would probably prove more useful than Idah. Difficult to facilitate him playing one up front and is behind Pukki & Sargeant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If Reading offer him a contract then it's a very good outcome for Jordan. He is a decent pro and has a good attitude. I don't see his move here the disaster that some make out.

Good luck to him.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Reading offer him a contract then it's a very good outcome for Jordan. He is a decent pro and has a good attitude. I don't see his move here the disaster that some make out.

Good luck to him.

Same. He was signed basically to fill a short term need. He scored a couple of useful goals and we got promoted. He isn't great but he was never signed to be a starter and score 20 a season. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Perhaps that nasty little man Alex Rae, wants to renew the ‘contact’ they had on the touch line in the Reading game!!!

It was just a carefully constructed ruse. As they bumped into each other, Rae tucked the Reading offer down his shorts. 😉 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

the problem is we have a lot of players out of contract and 250k here and there is not going to get us replacements ,

so sad we have really got to the stage where we are looking for free transfers and cheap players again 

Save on his wages as well though don't we.

£20k @ 6 months is £520k.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If he hasn't asked for a transfer he is technically entitled to have his contact paid in full. So negotiations required all round 

You are confusing with loyalty bonus.

A loyalty bonus is void if a player submits a formal transfer request, which is why you get players downing tools without actually asking for a transfer, such is the scuminess of the game.

When it comes to wages, I very much doubt Hugill is going to mind taking a bit of a pay cut to join Reading if it means another 2.5 or 3.5 year deal.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think we paid anything like £5m

It was £5m.

It was £2.5m up front fee, with £2.5m owed upon promotion which we paid about 10 months later of course when we got promoted.

The same summer Brentford paid £5m up front for Ivan Toney. Got to love Webber's great transfer business.

3 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

TBH I think if Hugill got a run of games, albeit unlikely, he would probably prove more useful than Idah. Difficult to facilitate him playing one up front and is behind Pukki & Sargeant.

He failed at Cardiff, West Brom and Boro. He spent 20 mins on the pitch at West Ham - 3 subs appearances. So his current failure is not an abherration, it is simply that he is not a professional footballer if judged bywhat  does on the pitch.. I expect we will be signing on loan one or two strikers this month. The quicker this serial failure leaves Carrow Road the better. Though I doubt there will be a queue to sign him. The pantomime season is over.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was £5m.

It was £2.5m up front fee, with £2.5m owed upon promotion which we paid about 10 months later of course when we got promoted.

The same summer Brentford paid £5m up front for Ivan Toney. Got to love Webber's great transfer business.

Hugill was a bad signing but it's not like Toney was ever a realistic option for us. He wasn't going to join a club where he might not be first choice and we weren't going to sell Pukki.

7 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

I think the market has changed, there are lots of good players at decent clubs letting their contracts run out.  It means those behind the scenes signings for free are likely to be significant and more frequent.  The winning clubs will be those that pay slightly higher wages.

Good luck to him. Grant was a failure at Forest and we know how, handled right, he was a top player. So its best for both parties that he tries somewhere else.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You are confusing with loyalty bonus.

A loyalty bonus is void if a player submits a formal transfer request, which is why you get players downing tools without actually asking for a transfer, such is the scuminess of the game.

When it comes to wages, I very much doubt Hugill is going to mind taking a bit of a pay cut to join Reading if it means another 2.5 or 3.5 year deal.

No I'm not confused. Hugill has a legally binding employment contract with Norwich City. If Norwich City decide to sell him and not to fulfill their side of the contract he is entitled to compensation for loss of income from that contract. 

If Hugill asks for a transfer he is the one breaking the contract and would therefore be entitled to nothing. 

In reality a negotiated settlement is usually reached but there have been cases where the selling club have paid up the entire contract as part of the deal,usually because the transfer fee makes it worth their while. 

This is why it is extremely unusual for players to submit written transfer requests. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was £5m.

Based on what?  Your assumption. I read at the time that there were several clauses, not just one. - how is it that you’re right when you can never be sure as we simply don’t know.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No I'm not confused. Hugill has a legally binding employment contract with Norwich City. If Norwich City decide to sell him and not to fulfill their side of the contract he is entitled to compensation for loss of income from that contract. 

If Hugill asks for a transfer he is the one breaking the contract and would therefore be entitled to nothing. 

In reality a negotiated settlement is usually reached but there have been cases where the selling club have paid up the entire contract as part of the deal,usually because the transfer fee makes it worth their while. 

This is why it is extremely unusual for players to submit written transfer requests. 

This is a bone of contention as I don’t know directly everyone’s contracts when they move but I know a former workmate who’s related to Nigel Jemson and I remember talking to him after a similar debate we had on here and he said that when he moved the contract between himself and the club was normally paid off at the transfer, the new club then contracted him, as I understood it you can’t be contracted to two clubs at the same time. But like I said it’s second hand info no actual knowledge firsthand.