canarydan23

What has happened to Hanley?

Last season he was probably one of only two players (Pukki being the other) to come out of it with any real credit. Most of us were worried that another EPL club might come in for him and he'd leave us. Now I suspect most of wish that that is what had happened.

Average Championship player slow, no idea when on the ball

Lost with the ball at his feet

Lovely man,  like Dunc but limited ability in the present game

I remember him doing this when Farke turned up. Trying too hard, over thinking, ****ing it up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daly said:

He is not slow at all pace wise, he’s actually quick (exceptionally for his size)

but he is very slow in his thinking and that’s the problem.

• Like 2

I do wonder what anyone has ever seen in him. Positionally never been good. Pace may sometimes get him out of his own errors in possession.And as for attacking prowess at corners!!!!! Needs replacing in my mind. But thats just me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Most of us were worried that another EPL club might come in for him and he'd leave us.

No we weren't. Most of us knew he was at the club for a reason and that reason was that he wasn't good enough for the EPL.

That said he is not terrible, just limited.

We need to remember that this defence - Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Dimi - conceded just 36 goals in our promotion season. Now they have all looked like a mistake waiting to happen on so many occasions. Is it that they are no longer protected (no Skipp)? Is it that Smith sucked every bit of confidence out of them? Why have they all regressed so badly?

• Like 1

Fine with Alamo style defensive heroics between the six yard area and the edge of the box which is why he looks ok in the Premiership.  Less good at positioning in open play further up the pitch or doing anything vaguely constructive with the ball which is why he doesn't look very good in the Champs.

I could be rude and upset a few and say 14 months of being coached by Smith and his team!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

We need to remember that this defence - Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Dimi - conceded just 36 goals in our promotion season. Now they have all looked like a mistake waiting to happen on so many occasions. Is it that they are no longer protected (no Skipp)? Is it that Smith sucked every bit of confidence out of them? Why have they all regressed so badly?

A combination of the above is my bet.

Maybe they peaked that season, and should have left to improve elsewhere, with new players brought in or youngsters promoted from within to refresh the squad. Every season a club will need 3-4 new faces, lest the ones in get too comfy. But instead most of them stagnated. Progress is never linear.

Where we are now, I'd rather we stay in the Championship for one season so that we can rebuild properly. It will be painful, but necessary. I still want us to get promoted BUT with a solid base to work from. If this means most players have to leave us then so be it.

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

More a case of not improving. That explains why Aarons was not signede by a bigger club, despite the hype. We signed Giannoulus at the peak of his career. But for one sloppy mistake by Hanley we would not be talikng about him tonight. Whereas our forwards similarly mi**** their shots, not troubling their keeper. Thats where our real concern is - we cannot score.

Lots of revisionism going on here. As has been mentioned, Hanley was a big part of a superb Championship defence two seasons ago and earned several plaudits during an abject EPL season (wasn't he top 3 in POTS?) and people were concerned he would be purchased in tge summer, that's just a fact.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, daly said:

This 100%. Both Hanley and Gibson panic with the ball at their feet. I noticed particularly v Watford that Gibbs was repeatedly offering himself for a fairly straightforward pass into the middle of the park but the centre backs preferred a sideways pass rather than take any sort of risk that a more composed centre back in the Prem would attempt.

Hanley is very quick pace wise 

Him and Gibson remind me of a old fashioned stopper type 

modern game needs a ball playing CB neither of those are that and have a mistake in them 

Hanley for me trys hard always will give you 100 % but something is missing 

is it him ?

is it he does not have a decent CDM sheilding the CB's ?

is Hanley worried about Aarons and what he is doing ? 

Something is Wrong he is a decent solid CB not PL class but Good championship player 

Very much like a lot of our experienced players gone downhill 

Hanley and Gibson are the worst centre backs in the division. Hanley reaching Russell Martin levels of captain calamity. When your leader on the pitch is the one continually costing you games you've got no chance. Hanley needs stripping of the captaincy and binning a.s.a.p. As does his partner in crime Gibson.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

I could be rude and upset a few and say 14 months of being coached by Smith and his team!

There is much more than that= maybe he is now getting slow has he gets older and slowly losing his ability at this level. its just how its is and no one is really to blame

5 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Hanley is very quick pace wise 

Him and Gibson remind me of a old fashioned stopper type 

modern game needs a ball playing CB neither of those are that and have a mistake in them 

Hanley for me trys hard always will give you 100 % but something is missing 

is it him ?

is it he does not have a decent CDM sheilding the CB's ?

is Hanley worried about Aarons and what he is doing ? 

Something is Wrong he is a decent solid CB not PL class but Good championship player 

Very much like a lot of our experienced players gone downhill 

Gibson is decent on the ball.  Certainly has a good range of passing.  A seeming lack of confidence and his defensive concentration allied to a lack of pace is the worry there for me. 

I'd rather Gibson than Hanley in there though and the fact that he play left CB does add a little extra value in combination with Omo - I think they would complement each other well.  As would Lunghi if Gibson's form doesn't improve.

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

I'd say that is absolutely fair - Hanley is only one of a number of the squad whose performances have dropped off very significantly in the post-Farke era.

I'd rather we had Andy O and Tomkinson build a solid partnership week to week with Hanley and Gibson back up if needed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

No we weren't. Most of us knew he was at the club for a reason and that reason was that he wasn't good enough for the EPL.

That said he is not terrible, just limited.

Exactly.

Those rumours were always obviously horse****. No Premier League club was going to pay good money for a 30 year old CB who had been a key part of two terrible defences in the Premier League.

What's happened to Hanley? A drop in confidence. Can never fault his commitment or bravery, but he's having one of those spells where things aren't going as well as usual.

Confidence is a lubricant.

Just a drop in confidence in the same way Pukki is sometimes taking extra touches he'd never do when in form and flying high. 

Also, not a massive fan of seeing Hanley as the left-sided CB. Always looks less comfortable.

13 hours ago, king canary said:

Exactly.

Those rumours were always obviously horse****. No Premier League club was going to pay good money for a 30 year old CB who had been a key part of two terrible defences in the Premier League.

If they were made up, why were there not any about Gibson? Because that would have been laughable. Yet it was credible to print rumours about Hanley. And that's because he was decent last season. One of only two players who were decent, but decent he was. Hence why he was second to Pukki in the POTS award. And he was decent the season before that too.

A lot of people are looking at him through the prism of this season's dreadful performances, or the overly-simplistic "we let in loads last season, he's a defender, so must be ****", and forgetting that he was comfortably our second best player last season.

Edited by canarydan23

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

If they were made up, why were there not any about Gibson? Because that would have been laughable. Yet it was credible to print rumours about Hanley. And that's because he was decent last season. One of only two players who were decent, but decent he was. Hence why he was second to Pukki in the POTS award. And he was decent the season before that too.

A lot of people are looking at him through the prism of this season's dreadful performances and forgetting that he was, comfortably, our second best player last season.

Nah, he's been deeply overrated for a sizable period of time in my opinion. It reminds me of the Russell Martin situation- for a solid 12-18 months our defence was poor and every other player got dropped/rotated etc while Martin remained constant. Shockingly enough when Martin was dropped the defence and the players who had been previously blamed improved!   

Re the rumours- I'd suggest it was probably an agent chancing their arm. But from memory he was never linked to a specific club- it was all very vague 'clubs are doing their homework on him' which didn't suggest any real, concrete interest. 

• Like 1

We had several seasons of Farkeball where we moved the ball quickly. Not quite quick enough in the EPL obviously. With Smith, it all seemed so much slower and deliberate. If nobody dropped deep for the ball then the opposition knew to press harder. Opposing teams aren't stupid, they know how we play.

Yesteday, I noticed when in possession at the back, AO went wide and Kenny dropped into the middle meaning we were moving it quicker with a midfield player on the ball than a CB. And AO seemed comfortable coming forward with it. But Hanley would run two or three steps and then turn the ball back with his right foot and look to pass back whereas AO was quite happy to progress.

Of course when the situation got tighter, Hanley's first thought was to pass it back to Krul. Yes it was an awful pass. But the real problem is that he hasn't any confidence other than a sideways or back pass.

Why do we always have to have two giants at the back? Couldn't one be like Beckenbauer. Competent at defending but talented at passing? Most teams play one striker and they aren't always big lumps. Sometimes its just as important to win the aerial balls in midfield as at the back.