Sign in to follow this  
Ben_CANBC

set piece coach

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Obviously.

And the facts in context in this case are that the OP is talking nonsense.

My edit crossed in the ether.

I think the point is that set pieces feel to be such a good weapon for some sides, so it’s disappointing that we seem unable to be more effective than we are.  Clearly you need to have good delivery and movement to get on to it, but surely if you see we don’t have the right players for a given play, you mix it up (eg Stevenage’s winner).

It's not necessarily the quality of the corner but how good the 'attacker' is on the end of it. Hanley is one of the worst offensive headers of the ball I've seen yet is still the target for most corners.

In an ideal world corner practice would involve real players attacking and defending them, not a target net. The issue here is it is not great for the players health and has actually been banned in Scotland.

Our squad is not great at attacking headers and I don't see how sacking the set piece coach will change that. As mentioned we're much better defensively so he's obviously doing a good job at that end.

• Like 1

It is true that some teams use offensive set pieces as what Parma would describe as "a weapon." I immediately think of Pulis at Stoke etc - they tend to develop their whole game around set pieces and pick teams with this in mind. The outstanding example in this year's championship would be be Millwall who base their game around set pieces (it accounts for over 5% of their goals). 

It is something that could be used if we were to get promoted as a method of trying to stay up - it has certainly played a big part in Palace's longevity in the PL. They had a series of very organised defensive managers who used set pieces as their main attacking weapon. I have come round to the opinion that we are unlikely to get promoted and then "out-football" established PL teams: this year Brentford and Fulham have scored a high proportion of their goals from set pieces. However, for this to be successful you have to have the players that are going to be able to thrive in that system (Mitrovic and Toney) and work hard at it (and therefore less hard in other areas).

In this division, I don't think that we should have to rely on set pieces to achieve our goals (in both senses). More set pieces goals would be nice and l welcome the fact that we are so good at defending set pieces, but our current difficulties are not really due to a deficiency at set pieces and I think that these deficiencies are what should really concern us.

On promotion -- rigid defence and a massive focus on set pieces might be a way forwards - but I'm not sure it would be popular with fans.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

We have good delivery. We just have very poor technical attacking headers of the ball.

Even Sargent does not make very good runs and is ‘noisy’ which makes it easy for referees to give free kicks against. 

MacLean makes good runs though doesn’t finish especially well. 

We are poor in terms of personnel. Our corner deliveries from Sara, then Dowell, then Nunez are actually a very decent standard. 

Parma  

I agree about Sara's delivery. He was getting them on the spot or just past it which is OK. It gives you options. However some of Nunez inswing corners weren't getting past the first defender.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Facts certainly make things harder for people who rely on pure BS. 😃

People that rely on stats in this club are getting everything consistently wrong mate 😂

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

People that rely on stats in this club are getting everything consistently wrong mate 😂

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink ... 🤔