Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

***official lappinitup FAcup thread V B'burnRovers***

1 minute ago, repman said:

Those last 2 corners sum things up with our set piece woes, both good deliveries where we seem to win the first header. Both headers though don't go anywhere towards the goal. We're stuck in a weird paradox where Hanley is our best header of the ball and wins his fair share from attacking corners, but he can't get them on goal to save his life.

Because they are stood waiting for the ball rather than attacking it.

I thought that was OK. Didn't particularly want extra fixtures, so an encouraging performance and a loss isn't that bad. I liked the energy and attacking, the way the full backs were pushed forward. Realistically, we should have won that, at least one of our attacks should have been a goal and if Hanley could pass a ball, we'd not have conceded.

I also thought Dimi played well and should keep his spot (but I've always thought he was decent, so maybe my own positive prejudice influences that!)

• Like 2

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

Other teams do giveaway soft goals but can also score.

Not as soft as ours continually are - it’s utterly ridiculous. 

Was Blackburn playing there normal starting 11? Ore resting there best players?

Pukki barely had a sniff of the ball the whole game. Blackburn did their homework.. Hanley did not.

For 2 days work I didn't think it was all bad, you could see the press at times leading to us winning the ball back high up the pitch. I do worry that we won't have enough idea in possession still but I'm not sure it can get worse than under Smith plus at least with the pressing we now have a clear idea on how to fashion some chances, which makes a change from the last 12 months.

Just now, Olano said:

It was a mix, brereton-diaz is their best player and he started. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Olano said:

Six changes. Played a teenage centreback whos just come from national leauge at rightback.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He puts his hands in his pockets. You should have seen a loss coming

😮

Maybe he read it in his TEA LEAVES!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, All the Germans said:

I thought that was OK. Didn't particularly want extra fixtures, so an encouraging performance and a loss isn't that bad. I liked the energy and attacking, the way the full backs were pushed forward. Realistically, we should have won that, at least one of our attacks should have been a goal and if Hanley could pass a ball, we'd not have conceded.

I also thought Dimi played well and should keep his spot (but I've always thought he was decent, so maybe my own positive prejudice influences that!)

Yup - I’m with you on nearly all that. I never want us to lose but there’s games I’m not so bothered about winning and this was one of them and a fixture pile-up is far from what we need.  If nothing else, it will have served as a good chance for Wagner to see what he’s got.

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Funny how you didn’t allow Smith any slack with such a ****e squad.

Useless Brummie prat didn't show anything to deserve any slack.

• Thanks 1

Well, glad I decided to give that one a swerve.

We tried hard enough, created a lot of half to decent chances, but a distinct lack of quality up front. In the end Hanley has gifted them a win but we had plenty of time to get back in the game.

The trouble with Wagner giving everyone a clean slate is that we have to watch the dirty side of it first.

The crowd were very quite?

Oh well, the Tragic of the Cup. At least we can concentrate on the league 😜

I thought after 2 days training we saw a pattern.  Aarons and Dimi were pushing on.  The 2 at CDM played okay.  Onel and Idah showed some fancy foot work, yet did not create much must be a chance we see someone new arrive to provide an option in that position.  Pukki looked off it.  The back four looked okay, excluding the goal, what on earth was at pass about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Useless Brummie prat didn't show anything to deserve any slack.

Apart from taking a ****e overrated squad to the top of the league and 9 games unbeaten.

Your in for a massive shock if you think it’ll be much different under Wagner this season.

2nd half was better,  but we could have played all night and not scored. Like to see the challenge on Pukki again, as it looked a pen to me.

Wouldnt have scored if we were played til midnight...but if we werent going to score before the 80th min, I'm not sure I wanted us to score at all....certainly didnt need a replay!....the Sinani header over the bar from 3 yds out with 20mins to go was the perfect time to score to have gone on and won it.

At least we made some subs and tried some different combinations, unlike Alan Russell

• Like 1

We look so unlikely to score it's painful. Wagner has a lot of work to do to get us in a position to secure the playoffs 

Just back……bloody hell I’ve not seen rain that hard in years! 
All I can say was decent enough atmosphere, good cheer for Wagner on his introduction, Hanley is utterly brainless at times and 20 odd corners only the last looked threatening!

Was totally impressed with the tempo, the effort and the way everyone put in a full shift, Omobamdele was immense and Max looked the best he has for a fair while! Pukki, just lacks a goal, score one and a dozen will follow, Idah full of energy and played the simple pass when it was on. The best I’ve seen out of Sara even McLean had a decent game…..yet we still lost! How?

We need a scorer, might have to loan that decent forward.

Not a bad game first off but should never have lost that game…..football!

• Like 1

Wow, that was some stinker from Hanley today. Not only the awful back pass, but they probably should have had a penalty for his handball, he came within a whisker of an own goal, and missed two very scoreable headers in the right goal.

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

We look so unlikely to score it's painful. Wagner has a lot of work to do to get us in a position to secure the playoffs 

2 days in and there were notable changes.  I think that game will have helped Wagner decide where he needs to strength.  We dominated certain areas of the pitch, gave away an easy goal, and created few clear cut chances.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Funny how you didn’t allow Smith any slack with such a ****e squad.

They're *hite because of Smith. Give any half decent coach a year with this squad and they'd be playing with far more confidence and cohesion. It's going to take some time to undo the damage.

• Like 1

We need to concentrate on one-touch football. Players like Nunez (who I rate) keep doing clever things but then take too many touches & lose the ball. He needs coaching as to when to do the tricky stuff & when - which is most of the time - to keep it simple. I suspect that's a function of the players not knowing each other's game, not operating as a team.

Teemu looked a bit off it but still managed some lovely little balls round the corner. He has GUILE, which is lacking all over the pitch.

I didn't really notice Adam. Kenny was excellent again & Dimi looked good, as did Max.

Tim's kicking was execrable.

Onel ..... AAARGGHHHH!!!  I know at 28 it's too late, but cannot somebody grab by the scruff of his bull-like neck & turn him into the player he could & should be?????  I shall continue to hope as long as he wears the shirt.

The subs were ... meh. Hugill really shouldn't be playing for this club, lovely chap though he undoubtedly is.

We will see what transpires.

32 minutes ago, repman said:

Those last 2 corners sum things up with our set piece woes, both good deliveries where we seem to win the first header. Both headers though don't go anywhere towards the goal. We're stuck in a weird paradox where Hanley is our best header of the ball and wins his fair share from attacking corners, but he can't get them on goal to save his life.

If you look at his headers they are always with the top of his head. In defence that’s ok,  just clear it but that’s no use when you need to hit the target

Several fans and commentators keep saying players lost confidence- personally I do not agree- I believe its just they just disjointed and lack of skills

Edited by baldy09

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Onel ..... AAARGGHHHH!!!  I know at 28 it's too late, but cannot somebody grab by the scruff of his bull-like neck & turn him into the player he could & should be?????  I shall continue to hope as long as he wears the shirt.

I think it is too late for Hernandez to learn but as one last throw of the dice I’d employ Huckerby to work one on one with him day in and day out for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

I think it is too late for Hernandez to learn but as one last throw of the dice I’d employ Huckerby to work one on one with him day in and day out for the rest of the season. 

Excellent idea.

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

McLean does not have the discipline nor the tactical awareness to hold. He chases anything that moves. I think McLean can do a job at this level, just not that job.

I was identifying it, not endorsing it….🤣

Parma 

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Hell, Eadie is already in the door, just ask him to do it.