TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

On 24/01/2023 at 11:35, shefcanary said:
  • isolated comments at Carrow Road from the crowd affected him, he feels the Norwich crowd was not as supportive as it could be, individual comments weren't drowned out by the general hubbub which he feels could be a benefit of playing at Ibrox.

Since @cambridgeshire canaryhas repeated this interpretation as if it were fact, I think it's only fair to say that it doesn't seem to me a fair reading of Cantwell's words. He said:

"while I am not used to that size of stadium being on my side – as I’ve only ever played away from home in stadiums like that – to have it on my side I think will be really powerful."

I think all he meant was that when he's played at stadiums the size of Ibrox, he's been on the away team. He's looking forward to having such big crowds behind him. He doesn't suggest there that the CR crowd were not behind him, just that it isn't as big a ground.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typo

8 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Tolerance and respect are commodities that are in short supply and it's only been magnified by social media.

In my experience the majority I meet online or offline are tolerant, respectful people.  I guess it depends on individuals, but when you strip back all the ****, the world is a lovely place and there's some really amazing, caring people out there. 

Too many people allow themselves to be weighed down by nonsense is half the problem with social media, not helped by news outlets desperate for clicks. 

Make all that <5% of your life, not 80+%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's a sad indictment of football supporters (and society in general) that any kind of individualism, particularly in appearance, is considered fair game for scrutiny and, therefore, abuse. What you call 'standing out' is simply not doing the thing that everyone else does and shaving your hair off. Discriminating against someone for their hair is not particularly different to focusing on other physical features like skin colour (although it's important to acknowledge that hairism hasn't led to such a significant amount of oppression and violence).

Ultimately people are getting far too fixated on image and their perception of how a footballer is supposed to look. It's a highly destructive attitude. The majority of us did not have to grow up under anywhere near the level of scrutiny that today's young people experience. What you might call attention seeking is actually just the normal expectation on someone of that generation: to regularly publish images of themselves on social media. It's incredibly hard for them to navigate, especially if they have any deviation from neurotypical.

This whole Cantwell saga has been turned into a circus by people who love seeing drama. I imagine it's actually far more innocuous than people think. Just a young player getting a bit of bad advice, not knowing how to fit into a changed system which no longer suited [his] strengths and losing confidence. Add in a falling out with the boss, some mental health struggles and a generally negative environment around the club and it's totally understandable that he wanted to move on.

It's pretty abhorrent that people are still scrutinising his appearance after he's left, some outwardly willing fans at his new club to pick up the bullying where we left off. Those doing so need to have a long think about the sort of world they're creating. Do you really want everyone to look and act the same for fear of going against the grain?

Cantwell was an excellent player for Norwich. We probably didn't see the best of him and things probably could have been handled better from all sides. I hope that he finds success and fulfillment at his new club.

Excellent post. I like Todd precisely because he does stand out, because that is my personality too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He doesn't suggest there that the CR crowd were not behind him, just that it isn't as big a ground.

Another vote for the expansion of Carrow road. Nice parting gift Todd, thanks. 🙂 

• Haha 1

On 25/01/2023 at 13:16, Midlands Yellow said:

Which Rangers site are those beauties from? 

The Bear Pit Follow Follow.com

They’re on the Welcome Todd Cantwell thread which is on Page 2 of The Bear Pit ( or it was the last time I looked ) and Cantwell’s shoes thread on Page 1.

These ? shoes ? apparently come in at a mere £650 a pop. Very reasonable…..

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

4 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's a sad indictment of football supporters (and society in general) that any kind of individualism, particularly in appearance, is considered fair game for scrutiny and, therefore, abuse. What you call 'standing out' is simply not doing the thing that everyone else does and shaving your hair off. Discriminating against someone for their hair is not particularly different to focusing on other physical features like skin colour (although it's important to acknowledge that hairism hasn't led to such a significant amount of oppression and violence).

Ultimately people are getting far too fixated on image and their perception of how a footballer is supposed to look. It's a highly destructive attitude. The majority of us did not have to grow up under anywhere near the level of scrutiny that today's young people experience. What you might call attention seeking is actually just the normal expectation on someone of that generation: to regularly publish images of themselves on social media. It's incredibly hard for them to navigate, especially if they have any deviation from neurotypical.

This whole Cantwell saga has been turned into a circus by people who love seeing drama. I imagine it's actually far more innocuous than people think. Just a young player getting a bit of bad advice, not knowing how to fit into a changed system which no longer suited [his] strengths and losing confidence. Add in a falling out with the boss, some mental health struggles and a generally negative environment around the club and it's totally understandable that he wanted to move on.

It's pretty abhorrent that people are still scrutinising his appearance after he's left, some outwardly willing fans at his new club to pick up the bullying where we left off. Those doing so need to have a long think about the sort of world they're creating. Do you really want everyone to look and act the same for fear of going against the grain?

Cantwell was an excellent player for Norwich. We probably didn't see the best of him and things probably could have been handled better from all sides. I hope that he finds success and fulfillment at his new club.

This is mostly nonsense in my opinion.

Todd Cantwell is oppressed now? Come on. HE made a large part of his brand about his appearance, not supporters. HE was/is overly fixated on his image. HE chose to publish his life on social media. HE created drama.

Todd Cantwell was not an excellent player for Norwich. He had excellent moments, but was very spotty and clearly had off-the-pitch issues. The contrast between his high valuation of himself and his questionable value as a footballer is 100% worthy of critique and discussion. If he'd actually performed like he should have, and like he stated he would have, nobody would have given a sh*t about his hair or Instagram posts. He owns his brand for better or worse. Just watch as his spell in Glashow becomes another circus in short while ...

• Sad 1

WTF is this thread still going. Cantwell has finally gone. I no longer care, and I certainly don't give a f*ck about Gilmour as he's long gone and forgotten (one of our worst signings!)

Seriously who cares now?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

WTF is this thread still going. Cantwell has finally gone. I no longer care, and I certainly don't give a f*ck about Gilmour as he's long gone and forgotten (one of our worst signings!)

Seriously who cares now?

Ah .........gone but not forgotten.

Just wait until the weekly Rangers match reports start to swamp this MB 🤣

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Seriously who cares now?

Patience after all the Farke threads have died down so will the Cantwell ones

Whatever the truth about Todd Cantwell - whether he is the Mother Theresa of Dereham who has been led astray, or a manipulative little sh*t - the important thing is that at last the club has been decisive.

One more bonus point for Wagner.

Now let's forget this endless saga and move on.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 20:03, KiwiScot said:

Local welcome wagon and her dungeon has been wheeled out for Todd.

FnQMbqlWIAAfU1N.jpg.db5e39e65dd4e61a9f11dc8f95f79101.jpg

Scaramanga would be jealous of that

• Haha 1