TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I do feel that if wed supported him more, got behind him more, hed have outperformed anyone ,anywhere , and if we'd have appreciated the quality of Dean  and  let him improve Todd , like he did  the rest of the squad, hed be goung to PSG for 55million, but we didn't cheer enough.....

@TeemuVanBasten @nutty nigel

€50 being transferrred in a mo.😇👌

1740. Done.... not sure how long it'll  take Nuttyo but ive had confirmation  of transfer. 👌

Good man, that's very generous.

Cantwell is a talented lad who for whatever reason needed a fresh start. Hope he does well and comes good, but 0 goals and 0 assists in his last 37 games, so I don't think he's much of a loss to us in his current condition/situation.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Canario said:

Trying to fit in by channelling his inner Billy Connolly. Couldn't even get that right as in the wrong shirt!!

Perhaps he's channelling his inner Neil Oliver.

659442327_neiloliver.thumb.jpg.1e4523504a5366b69f18540d07ec28ef.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Wow. Where do you start?!

Gilmour is a nothing player who wasn't good enough for a low Premier League side. He might be alright in the Championship.

Most Norwich fans I know DO rate Cantwell - when he's actually playing.

Won't be long until they are team mates.

Good luck to the lad, he’s got his new challenge and hopefully he can settle to a level back to playing football.

Do they need a cart horse as I reckon Hugill would be suited to the SPL, there’s only two decent teams the rest are at league 1 level.

Any player who was a part of those 2 Farke promotions will always have a place in Canary folklore as far as I'm concerned. Sad to see him go and not fulfill his potential here. Good luck to him.

Edited by Canarywary
  • Like 2

Thank f***k for that.Wasted a bucket full of wages on a talented but tiresome waste of space.
Now perhaps we can forget about him and get back to what matters.
Our surprising change in style and commitment and hopefully a grandstand finish to the season

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

Thank f***k for that.Wasted a bucket full of wages on a talented but tiresome waste of space.

He played an integral part in 2 PL promotions. Or did you only just start supporting us this season?

Todd's got a good heart.

I wish him every success at Rangers and thank him for the good times here.

There's plenty of time for him to turn his career around.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2023 at 13:07, dylanisabaddog said:

I think he's a great player but I really can't see him surviving a hateful, sectarian environment like that. 

He’s used to a hateful environment now with all the disgusting hate he’s been given on this message board 😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

He’s used to a hateful environment now with all the disgusting hate he’s been given on this message board 😡

Do you really think that is true?   I would say most messages say the same, they wish him well but are glad it is over.  Some people are angry that he has not kept performing in a similiar way to a number of the other out of contract players.  No real disgusting hate, in Glasgow 50% of the population will try to intimidate him, by all accounts it makes our relationship with Ipswich look it best buddies.

• Like 5

On 21/01/2023 at 15:56, Newtopia said:

Unbelieveable - 22 pages - talking about a man who hasn’t really played for 2 years - imagine if he tried like Hernandez tries.  We would probably genuinely imploded, and Todd might have been joining on of the top 6 clubs.

To be fair to Todd. He did try on the pitch.

• Like 1

Quality player on his day. For whatever reason for the past 24 months he might of well not been here. A shame really as could of been a stand out player for us. Sometimes things dont work out, good luck to him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was not implying he didn't try and if that was how it came over it was not the intent.  I am sure that he does try.  I was drawing the comparison with Onel.

37 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I think some of the criticism is aimed at how he might not always have been the most diligent in ensuring he was in optimal condition to try with potentially better outcomes on the pitch.

10 hours ago, Canarywary said:

He played an integral part in 2 PL promotions. Or did you only just start supporting us this season?

Suppose its like the Championship version of the Bale situation.

Madrid fans went in hard on him because he did f*ck all for 2-3 years while swallowing a large chunk of budget which could be spent on somebody fresh. But it looked harsh because of his contribution to their history including two Champions League wins and was class for a period.

Only we're swapping Champions League wins with Championship wins. 

On a human level I hope he enjoys his football and does alright. I've got a feeling he will.

On a footballing level he's no big loss to us based on 19 months of unproductive football, and just like Madrid, we could do with that chunk of budget being used to bring in somebody fresh.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Good luck Todd.....Perhaps you'll now do your talking on the pitch.....and hopefully a lot less on social media....

You know it makes sense....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Madrid fans went in hard on him because he did f*ck all for 2-3 years while swallowing a large chunk of budget which could be spent on somebody fresh. But it looked harsh because of his contribution to their history including two Champions League wins and was class for a period.

Only we're swapping Champions League wins with Championship wins. 

On a human level I hope he enjoys his football and does alright. I've got a feeling he will.

On a footballing level he's no big loss to us based on 19 months of unproductive football, and just like Madrid, we could do with that chunk of budget being used to bring in somebody fresh.

I wonder if he'll pop up in a year or two a bit like Wildshutt scoring against 1p5wich.

I hope that's the next time I think about him.

Edited by Yellow Fever

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No-one will forget his skills and goals and you can't take away his contribution to our promotions and that few weeks when he was hot in the PL - but he has all along been talking about getting to the top and what riles people is that he has allowed that ambition to ruin the last two years of his career and contributing very little on the field.

I don't suppose the club are blameless and I don't doubt his agent has been part of the problem too, but ultimately it is down to the player to get himself right to play.....to work hard, take advice, be humble and buckle down and take the opportunities when they arise. He's done none of that although I accept he's probably been trying hard to keep fit, but how can he be match fit for Rangers after appearing so little for us?  

Wish him luck, but this thread is long for a reason - a big talent and a local one at that has been too long off the field of play and there's  been precious little actual information to let us understand why, hence all the justified speculation and suggestions as to why he hasn't played, even if the abusiveness of some of it has been out of order.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No-one will forget his skills and goals and you can't take away his contribution to our promotions and that few weeks when he was hot in the PL - but he has all along been talking about getting to the top and what riles people is that he has allowed that ambition to ruin the last two years of his career and contributing very little on the field.

I don't suppose the club are blameless and I don't doubt his agent has been part of the problem too, but ultimately it is down to the player to get himself right to play.....to work hard, take advice, be humble and buckle down and take the opportunities when they arise. He's done none of that although I accept he's probably been trying hard to keep fit, but how can he be match fit for Rangers after appearing so little for us?  

Wish him luck, but this thread is long for a reason - a big talent and a local one at that has been too long off the field of play and there's  been precious little actual information to let us understand why, hence all the justified speculation and suggestions as to why he hasn't played, even if the abusiveness of some of it has been out of order.

Good post.

With the right support and integration into the team I'm sure he'll get match pretty quickly.

The frustration for me is as well as losing a very good player, all we've done is move him off the wage bill. We should have been looking at additional £m's to add to the transfer pot. Instead they just fell off the side of the conveyor belt.

11 hours ago, Canarywary said:

Thats as maybe but for the last 2 years he has contributed to very little.
Considering the amount of criticism that McLean receives on this forum,if Cantwell contributed half the commitment that McLean has and still does,we might not be chasing the two runaway leaders in this division.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I was not implying he didn't try and if that was how it came over it was not the intent.  I am sure that he does try.  I was drawing the comparison with Onel.

Give me Onel any day over Todd. It’s a shame Todd just couldn’t get his head in it. Hopefully use some of the money for a new contract for Onel.

From Davitt's piece on the main site. I've extracted a couple of bits that show a little bit more about Todd's issue at Norwich and his ambition.

“It is really important to have a manager that believes in you but also, that you believe in them. ... [Beale] was very clear with me and laid out exactly what it is that they like about me and what it is they want from me. For a player, that is all you can ever ask for – clarity.”

“I am really excited to get into that sort of competition and to be playing in Europe and some of the biggest stages in the world. I am really looking forward to it. The chance to play in Europe and to obviously win things – that is why I am here, to win trophies. ... while I am not used to that size of stadium being on my side – as I’ve only ever played away from home in stadiums like that – to have it on my side I think will be really powerful.”

My conclusion:

• He couldn't find a role at Norwich, nor could manager's find one for him. Beale has told him he has such a role;
  • He still thinks he can be a good European player, let's see if he can work hard enough to do that;
  • isolated comments at Carrow Road from the crowd affected him, he feels the Norwich crowd was not as supportive as it could be, individual comments weren't drowned out by the general hubbub which he feels could be a benefit of playing at Ibrox.

🤷‍♂️

Whatever, good luck Todd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yet Aarons has had ofers from multiple big top 6 clubs both here in England and across Europe.. Even Barca and Bayern have wanted him. And guess what? He's not gone on social media and cried about how nobody bealives in him and how he will make it to the top or whatever other nonsense..He's just kept his head down and got on with it. Why could Cantwell not do the same?   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yet Aarons has had ofers from multiple big top 6 clubs both here in England and across Europe.. Even Barca and Bayern have wanted him. And guess what? He's not gone on social media and cried about how nobody bealives in him and how he will make it to the top or whatever other nonsense..He's just kept his head down and got on with it. Why could Cantwell not do the same?   

Probably because players are humans, not robots. People with different personalities react to things differently. Different agents encourage different behaviours, different people listen to different people within their lives. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Considering he'd be free in the summer it'll be nowhere near that.  Couple of hundred grand at most.

Oh so paper that broke the story that he was going there a few weeks ago have got the fee so badly wrong and should have checked with you? Dont you think that his fee could have been something like they've mentioned as a) already a snip, and b) wanted to make sure they got him over another club? I've no idea and would be so bold to guess and state it like a fact. 

36 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

From Davitt's piece on the main site. I've extracted a couple of bits that show a little bit more about Todd's issue at Norwich and his ambition.

“It is really important to have a manager that believes in you but also, that you believe in them. ... [Beale] was very clear with me and laid out exactly what it is that they like about me and what it is they want from me. For a player, that is all you can ever ask for – clarity.”

“I am really excited to get into that sort of competition and to be playing in Europe and some of the biggest stages in the world. I am really looking forward to it. The chance to play in Europe and to obviously win things – that is why I am here, to win trophies. ... while I am not used to that size of stadium being on my side – as I’ve only ever played away from home in stadiums like that – to have it on my side I think will be really powerful.”

My conclusion:

• He couldn't find a role at Norwich, nor could manager's find one for him. Beale has told him he has such a role;
  • He still thinks he can be a good European player, let's see if he can work hard enough to do that;
  • isolated comments at Carrow Road from the crowd affected him, he feels the Norwich crowd was not as supportive as it could be, individual comments weren't drowned out by the general hubbub which he feels could be a benefit of playing at Ibrox.

🤷‍♂️

Whatever, good luck Todd

If he feels that a small minority of a few thousand fans at carrow road booing him or giving him negative comments got to his head and made him not want to play then good luck to him when he plays a bad game for rangers and he gets a full stadum with 50,000 people booing him.

"I can play in Europe and win trophies!" Look, I get he's saying it to make rangers fans happy and all but.. Is he forgetting he has 0 goals, 0 assits and what 0 minutes this entire season for us?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary