TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

I think what smarts most is that Dowell's role the past 2 games could absolutely, easily be Cantwell. Acknowledging that he probably long since made it clear he'd be signing with someone else this month, there was a version of this story where he still played a role. It feels like a lovers tiff between two parties who wouldn't apologise before the other did.

Personally speaking I still can't believe what is, objectively, a reserve player moving practically on a free transfer turning into a 3 week media saga. But that is very Todd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think what smarts most is that Dowell's role the past 2 games could absolutely, easily be Cantwell. Acknowledging that he probably long since made it clear he'd be signing with someone else this month, there was a version of this story where he still played a role. It feels like a lovers tiff between two parties who wouldn't apologise before the other did.

Personally speaking I still can't believe what is, objectively, a reserve player moving practically on a free transfer turning into a 3 week media saga. But that is very Todd.

I’d rather give that energy & bandwidth to talking about how Dowell has stepped up to the plate in the last two games. Granted there were some very loose balls from him yesterday, but he’s definitely looking more like the player I thought we’d signed now. Good on him. 

Just now, mrdi said:

I’d rather give that energy & bandwidth to talking about how Dowell has stepped up to the plate in the last two games. Granted there were some very loose balls from him yesterday, but he’s definitely looking more like the player I thought we’d signed now. Good on him. 

Before this season I said to friends if Dowell starts the majority of games at this level for a good attacking side, he'd get 20 goals/ assists. When Smith said he saw KD as a really important player for us, I was really optimistic (but then that came crashing down as he was given little handfuls of minutes mainly playing as a winger or in centre mid)

Really glad to see him start well, long may it continue.

11 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Before this season I said to friends if Dowell starts the majority of games at this level for a good attacking side, he'd get 20 goals/ assists. When Smith said he saw KD as a really important player for us, I was really optimistic (but then that came crashing down as he was given little handfuls of minutes mainly playing as a winger or in centre mid)

Really glad to see him start well, long may it continue.

Absolutely. I’ve always believed Dowell possesses a set of attributes unlike anyone else in the squad and we’re a better side with him in a role/system which allows those attributes to flourish. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think what smarts most is that Dowell's role the past 2 games could absolutely, easily be Cantwell.

Could say thank god Wagner didn't give Cantwell another chance because if he had Dowell might have been stuck on the bench.

Extend Dowells contract, forget about Cantwell. Its the way forward.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Personally speaking I still can't believe what is, objectively, a reserve player moving practically on a free transfer turning into a 3 week media saga.

That's because it's not really a reserve player but a potential £15m player who has been left in the reserves due to some poor decisions from multiple parties.

36 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think what smarts most is that Dowell's role the past 2 games could absolutely, easily be Cantwell.

I was pretty surprised that Todd wasn't given a single minute under Wagner so would assume that the decision about his place in the squad was already made. It's a shame, but we can all move on. 

I never really saw Cantwell and Dowell as competing over one place. Todd would be on the left of the attacking midfield three. It's Onel who's claimed that particular berth and has done very well.

I'll never understand the vitriol towards him. I hope he goes on to prove a lot of people wrong. By moving to such a big club he already has. I have a suspicion that we'll see him in the Premier League again in the not too distant future. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, chicken said:

He wasn't doing that precisely, but what he was posting was supposedly "cryptic" and the same folk who trawled his social media (instagram) were posting pictures and heavily ridiculing him for some of his poses with boots, clothes, cars, hair and belongings etc. 

Shame the same people ignored very similar posts from the likes of Godfrey.

It goes back to the loss of focus of Cantwell and Buendia. Both went on to be important in that promotion season, but Cantwell never recaptured the best form we had seen.

he did post i am fit with smiling faces after Farke said he was not 

41 minutes ago, Petriix said:

That's because it's not really a reserve player but a potential £15m player who has been left in the reserves due to some poor decisions from multiple parties.

I was pretty surprised that Todd wasn't given a single minute under Wagner so would assume that the decision about his place in the squad was already made. It's a shame, but we can all move on. 

I never really saw Cantwell and Dowell as competing over one place. Todd would be on the left of the attacking midfield three. It's Onel who's claimed that particular berth and has done very well.

I'll never understand the vitriol towards him. I hope he goes on to prove a lot of people wrong. By moving to such a big club he already has. I have a suspicion that we'll see him in the Premier League again in the not too distant future. Time will tell.

We’re not a wealthy club, and if the speculation by some is correct that he’s not been turning up for training, been late for meetings, and has generally behaved like a petulant teenager while being paid an enormous salary to sit at home, then a modicum of impatience with him would be understandable.

6 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

We’re not a wealthy club, and if the speculation by some is correct that he’s not been turning up for training, been late for meetings, and has generally behaved like a petulant teenager while being paid an enormous salary to sit at home, then a modicum of impatience with him would be understandable.

i think a lot of it is we as NCFC fans are one of the most understanding fans in the country 

we do not want Todd Upset or leaving we want him here playing well 

we would be happy to sell him for good money and wish him well and thank him for his service 

what we do not understand is why 4 managers have dismissed him 

why for managers are happy for him to go 

There must be a good reason why he is not playing as he has the talent 

i do not believe it is Form or Contract others have been out of Form or leaving in the summer and have played

Pukki has not signed a contract yet but one of the first on the team sheet 

Cantwell has the talent to have played in this team so all as fans are asking why is he not been playing for the last 2 seasons  ? 

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I disagree. Physically, Dowell and Cantwell are comparable. Technically, there really is no competition, Dowell is far, far better. Cantwell brings more energy but in my opinion, not enough to make up for the fact Dowell has vastly superior technical ability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Not necessarily that they would be competing, it's more a comparison of the last 18 months for what I see as very similar players, physically and technically.

The move to 4-3-3, wonky change in style, botched defensive recruitment and subsequent hiring of Dean Smith are disadvantages that affected Cantwell and Dowell equally. The latter however has considerably more appearances, goals and assists for us since then; this is despite there being zero footballing or financial advantage to Cantwell not playing. Your mileage may vary as to why Norwich City seemingly chose this 'zero advantages' route.

I think if you ask 10 Norwich fans what happened with Todd you'll get 10 different stories. Personally I just want the move to get rubber stamped and over with 

Enough already!  He has no future at Norwich. Move him on like any other asset that no longer works for you. Get him off the payroll and let him and his agent be somebody else’s problem. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

The move to 4-3-3, wonky change in style, botched defensive recruitment and subsequent hiring of Dean Smith are disadvantages that affected Cantwell and Dowell equally. The latter however has considerably more appearances, goals and assists for us since then;

Interesting that you should say that... 

698757832_Screenshot_20230123_073359_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.51a1520cb59ff5dbb051c267af903252.jpg

They currently have the same number of starts and substitute appearances this season with Todd having played 97 more minutes. Prior to Wagner's arrival Dowell had 1 goal and 2 assists. Todd created 2 great chances against Stoke which should have been assists so I think you're incorrect in your assessment.

Obviously we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes but, on the surface, it's strange that one was given the chance while the other wasn't.

698757832_Screenshot_20230123_073359_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.51a1520cb59ff5dbb051c267af903252.jpg

They currently have the same number of starts and substitute appearances this season with Todd having played 97 more minutes. Prior to Wagner's arrival Dowell had 1 goal and 2 assists. Todd created 2 great chances against Stoke which should have been assists so I think you're incorrect in your assessment.

Obviously we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes but, on the surface, it's strange that one was given the chance while the other wasn't.

I don't find it strange. One had made it clear that he wanted away from the club and one hadn't. Who would you give the opportunity to?

• Like 1

I was including the season prior also, as this is when it all seemed to start unravelling.

As you say, it's strange to see one given the opportunity and the other not; my conclusion is that, all things being equal (and TC/ KD being very similar players to my mind) that Todd must have made himself essentially unplayable.

There are no advantages to having him sat on his **** at home, and arguably it actually causes damage to the 'promote youth and elevate' image of the club and to our incoming finances (both relatively business-critical). We wouldn't have destructed a valuable asset on a whim.

Either way, hopefully the transfer is confirmed soon and we can all move on. Until the inevitable tell-all interview in May on Sky, of course 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Either way, hopefully the transfer is confirmed soon and we can all move on. Until the inevitable tell-all interview in May on Sky, of course 😉

i have a Feeling we will hear the same old i used to have a Rangers shirt when i was growing up in Dereham stuff

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Taking a long time, only eight days to go, 

Rangers have completed the signing of 47 year old Todd Cantwell.... 

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Waiting to see if Kings Lynn Bid before he signs 

Edited by norfolkngood

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Waiting for to see if Kings Lynn Bid before he signs 

Dereham Town, surely?

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Its going to take as long as its going to take Quagliarella to sign for us! 😉 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Dereham Town, surely?

I hear Sprowston lads under-16s are looking to bulk out their squad, maybe he can get a run out off the bench on Sundays.