TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

The Scottish Sun (link to the Daily Record repeating it as I don't like the Sun) are reporting that Rangers are keen to take Cantwell north of the border and are considering whether to do so this window or wait until summer when he's available for free.

Can't help but think it would be a good move for him. A chance for a fresh start north of the border in front of an audience which, if he succeeds and gets back to his best, would really love him.

And if it means we get a big earner off the books and maybe a bit of cash in January (going to be a very small fee, I suspect) I can't say I'd be too upset. Even if it does mean losing a player capable of showing the sort of creativity this side is really lacking. We can't deny he's not been hitting those levels.

Thoughts?  

Edited by TheGoogler

I don't think he's a big earner. He refused the contract he was offered so is probably still on a comparatively low wage.

I suspect he won't be short of offers in the summer.

Good luck to him, whatever happens.

He's clearly had issues away from football affecting him. We easily forget players are just normal people with everyday problems too.

I hope he rediscovers his form. Be it here or elsewhere.

• Like 8

Good luck to him, hasn’t been the same for the last two years and not really worth a starting spot, so could probably do with a fresh start elsewhere.

• Like 1

A league maybe at his level, but still a physical one so err maybe, but does he have the attitude to be one half of the old firm. Abused by one half of Glasgow and abused if not up to scratch.

15 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

A league maybe at his level, but still a physical one so err maybe, but does he have the attitude to be one half of the old firm. Abused by one half of Glasgow and abused if not up to scratch.

My thoughts exactly, I don't believe he has the mental fortitude to play for either side of the firm, especially the (currently) weaker one...

15 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I think he's a great player but I really can't see him surviving a hateful, sectarian environment like that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think he's a great player but I really can't see him surviving a hateful, sectarian environment like that. 

i do not know if it is such a wise move for Cantwell 

a Lot of my Family are Rangers fans it is a different type of pressure cooker 

Glasgow is not as quiet or nice as Norwich and Bournemouth thats for sure 

• Like 1

I really hope it works out for him, he will do well in most games, and may even get time in the European games, so good luck to him.  If he goes there he is not choosing the easy option.

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i do not know if it is such a wise move for Cantwell 

a Lot of my Family are Rangers fans it is a different type of pressure cooker 

Glasgow is not as quiet or nice as Norwich and Bournemouth thats for sure 

Put him through the grinder =

I used to rate him but as time went on, I think it was more about him made to look good by the other players around him. 

if you aren’t fitting in at Bournemouth you ain’t ever gonna fit in with SPL.

• Like 1

He's still vastly better than Hernandez, Sinani, Sara and Nunez. It's nothing to do with his attitude, he's been frozen out because Webber doesn't like him and he refused to sign a new contract. I've got a feeling he's going to make a lot of people look pretty stupid after he finally gets his move.

We should have been building the team around him after Buendia left. Instead we removed his position from our formation. He's the perfect demonstration of what's gone wrong at the club. 

• Like 2

I can't believe it's a Webber thing. What would be the logic in effectively devaluing an asset?

I find it really strange that he didn't even make the bench today. Was he so bad in yesterday's training match that Wagner thought 'no-way'? I can only assume we have received an offer or didn't want to 'cup tie' him.

• Like 1

I'd have hoped Wagner has come in with afew ideas for players he'd like to bring to the club, and hopefully those on the fringes, like cantwell and rashica can be sold quickly to free up those funds.

There's definitely a good player in there in Cantwell, but let's face it, we can hardly say we'll miss him, as he's hardly played this or last season 

46 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

I used to rate him but as time went on, I think it was more about him made to look good by the other players around him. 

if you aren’t fitting in at Bournemouth you ain’t ever gonna fit in with SPL.

Can you explain why?   

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Can you explain why?   

Well, watching it on Sky, SPL looks proper physical. And whilst I agree Todd used to be able to ride a tackle or just evade ‘incoming’ he’s not on the team sheet for almost the last two seasons for a reason??

I’m at a loss is there anything official or just lazy journalists? I don’t think Cantwell will be here come next season but can’t see Rangers taking a chance even on a free he’ll demand a hefty fee to go up north. I think he might find it hard to find a bigger club than he’s at now! He’s got two year of warming the bench at two clubs.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Someone loves Glasgow:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/helen-flanagan-says-really-love-28890028

Like everywhere, there's good parts and bad parts. I doubt if Cantwell moved to Rangers he would be living in a scheme.

If he does move and he thinks it'll be a cakewalk. It won't be. He should ask Pukki how easy the SPL is.

First off Darko... Helen Flanagan? She's  a  complete Dipshoite.

Secondly, i have it on good authority  that he will go ro Rangers, what no one has realised is that hes on a mission to get gis own back on Wee Billy by shaggging his sister, Mum, Granny and school dinner lady 

PS Nothing against Glasgow, had great craic there in 1979. We were using Army id cards as proof of age despite them clearly stating we were 17 , bouncers etc al said ' old  enough to die  , old enough to drink'

Edited by wcorkcanary

26 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

There's definitely a good player in there in Cantwell, but let's face it, we can hardly say we'll miss him, as he's hardly played this or last season 

Yet we've hardly won this or last season so I'd say we've missed him almost as much as Skipp and Buendia. 

4 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Well, watching it on Sky, SPL looks proper physical. And whilst I agree Todd used to be able to ride a tackle or just evade ‘incoming’ he’s not on the team sheet for almost the last two seasons for a reason??

Appreciate the response, not sure Scottish footy is as tough as the Championship but I wonder if Todd’s nemesis is social media rather than opponents on the field!  

For me he was our best pressing option this season!

• Like 1

People question his mental toughness but he went on loan to Fortuna Sittard at the age of 20 and made a success of it. While by no means unique for a young footballer, it isn’t easy to move abroad and come out on top. 

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:
9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Still kinda hot, though.

On a fcukbunny basis id agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

First off Darko... Helen Flanagan? She's  a  complete Dipshoite.

Secondly, i have it on good authority  that he will go ro Rangers, what no one has realised is that hes on a mission to get gis own back on Wee Billy by shaggging his sister, Mum, Granny and school dinner lady 

PS Nothing against Glasgow, had great craic there in 1979. We were using Army id cards as proof of age despite them clearly stating we were 17 , bouncers etc al said ' old  enough to die  , old enough to drink'

I can not see young Todd going around castle milk or Easter house handing out presents from his Lamborghini