Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Happy 82nd Birthday To THE Living Legend.

Why do i hear the words "Don't call me Shirley" when I see this photo! 🙂

Happy Birthday to the man, never saw him play in person, but a legend indeed.

• Haha 1

If ever we finally do put up a statue to a 'legend' then KK should be right at the very top of the list. Such a pity that for years and years we have had loads of space at the ground to put up murals of great teams, managers etc. yet the club have resolutely either refused to do so or us  natives have for some bizarre reason failed to lobby the club with sufficient strength to achieve anything. 

I’ve always wanted a statue with three together. Keelan, with Forbes and Stringer either side. So obvious. 

• Like 5

As a boy he was my idol. Still have a signed copy of his book. Often described as the best keeper never to be capped for England (So much so, I'm sure I remember there being a friendly arranged for him to stand between the posts for an England team- perhaps someone out there can confirm or deny that).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

As a boy he was my idol. Still have a signed copy of his book. Often described as the best keeper never to be capped for England (So much so, I'm sure I remember there being a friendly arranged for him to stand between the posts for an England team- perhaps someone out there can confirm or deny that).

That statement came from Gordon Hill who was the top referee around at the time. Your reference to the England game rings a bell but its too vague to remember.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Mine too. I saw many amazing saves - it was he that should have been called "the Cat" not Peter Bonetti, good that he was, he wasn't a patch on KK.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Mine too. I saw many amazing saves - it was he that should have been called "the Cat" not Peter Bonetti, good that he was, he wasn't a patch on KK.

He was an astonishing shot-stopper and put in so many amazing performances. The ones that particular stick out for me as I sit and type were the two FA cup games (including the replay) when he kept the then mighty Leeds United at bay.

Keelan was a flamboyant keeper who liked a dive and often collected crosses with one hand. Also a bit hotheaded and known the punch the odd Centre forward, in his earlier days!

Proberly not the greatest Norwich keeper, that imo would go to Chris Woods, but in the top 4/5 of some high quality goal keepers and very loyal to the club.

1 minute ago, Sheva said:

Keelan was a flamboyant keeper who liked a dive and often collected crosses with one hand. Also a bit hotheaded and known the punch the odd Centre forward, in his earlier days!

Proberly not the greatest Norwich keeper, that imo would go to Chris Woods, but in the top 4/5 of some high quality goal keepers and very loyal to the club.

One thing the club has got right more often than not is its choice of keeper. Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green etc, could all put in a genuine claim for top spot. I suspect it's a bit like you favourite Doctor Who, it tends to be the one you grew up with. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheva said:

We've been so lucky with keepers over the years. KK is before my time but if he's better than Woods and those that came after him then he was clearly a top keeper.

3 minutes ago, Sheva said:

Yep. And this photo is one of those that says a thousand words😅

IMG_20230105_183930.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. And this photo is one of those that says a thousand words😅

IMG_20230105_183930.jpg

Either something strange was in my tea or his nose/mouth here remind me of Mr. Bean...

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

here remind me of Mr. Bean...

Yeah 🙂....but you just wouldn't mess with Kevin. A right temper on him at times.

Yeah 🙂....but you just wouldn't mess with Kevin. A right temper on him at times.

Think most decent keepers needed one back then just to assert themselves. Much more of a scrap in the air in particular.

Before my time but clearly a great keeper. I'd love to have been able to go to Carrow Road in this era. 

Shame that there isn't a whole load of match footage available from back when KK played for us, if there is it just tends to show goals, not saves.

As it was his birthday King Kev was the subject of Still On The Ball this afternoon. People shared some brilliant memories of the great man. I took some pictures with me. This one is probably my favourite....

465115661_kevin-keelanref.jpg.a06b289c221f4a88da31687c8592bd9d.jpg

• Like 5

We had Oxford and Nethercott too, don’t forget. 

The latter was an extraordinary man.  

Chris Woods was a better all-round modern ‘keeper, but nobody tops Keelan.

60 fags a day and Ken Brown had to get him released from Bethal Street on more than one occasion on the morning of a match. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheva said:

For a short period kept out Kevin Keelan

image.thumb.jpeg.b9089168cd20a05ffbe5ef9dca9577fd.jpeg

Name the six goalkeepers who replaced Kevin Keelan during his career at the club. August 1963 to February 1980.

(He's one of them)

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Name the six goalkeepers who replaced Kevin Keelan during his career at the club. August 1963 to February 1980.

(He's one of them)

That;s a tough one....

I'll set the ball rolling - I can think of three - Hansbury, Baker, Cawston.........

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well done between you👍

Two Mars Bars in the post🙃

I can't remember who went in goal when he was sent off for punching Tommy Robson. I don't think we had sub goalies then. So was there a seventh? An outfield player?