Branston Pickle

Wagner to be announced?

Good news. There's no guarantee it will work despite who you get in and where you get him from, just look at Tuchel at Chelsea.

I can get behind this appointment but we'll have to be patient, we're in a bit of a mess at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good news. There's no guarantee it will work despite who you get in and where you get him from, just look at Tuchel at Chelsea.

I can get behind this appointment but we'll have to be patient, we're in a bit of a mess at the moment.

Hallelujah.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

11 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Does this mean that German media is added to the Stuart Webber media verboten list?

I just posted the exact same thing somewhere else 🤣

• Haha 1

I would like to think that with our current squad, even with a different way of playing, we don't go backwards and actually improve on 11th place!

David Wagner's green & yellow army.

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Hallelujah.

We were patient with Dean Smith, just like we were with Farke before, and I'm happy to afford Wagner the same. However, if in 18 months he's still tinkering with the team every week and only wins 3 out of 12 games and we still appear to be worse than when he took charge... I'd be calling for his departure too.

If you think 'patience' extends beyond that then you're obviously not familiar with how football works. 

• Like 9

Probably the better choice of the 'likely' names mentioned in my book. I don't think there's a fantastic wealth of managerial talent ready to come into a Championship club, but I like the fact Wagner will have something to prove again despite success at this level.

Ultimately he kept a Huddersfield side up that I don't think was significantly better than either of the sides we've recently had in the Prem, either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We were patient with Dean Smith, just like we were with Farke before, and I'm happy to afford Wagner the same. However, if in 18 months he's still tinkering with the team every week and only wins 3 out of 12 games and we still appear to be worse than when he took charge... I'd be calling for his departure too.

If you think 'patience' extends beyond that then you're obviously not familiar with how football works. 

You were not remotely patient with Dean Smith, especially in comparison to the nearly unprecedented patience afforded Farke.

18 months is a deceptive way of putting it. It was more like 2/3 of a season with a sub-standard inherited squad fire-fighting in the Premier League and half a season  rebuilding in the Championship, most of it spent at the top end of the table.

Edit: Smith was with us since November 2021, so nothing like 18 months anyway.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

Good appointment. Is he better than Farke? Time will tell, but if he is not as good, or significantly worse, then the folly of sacking Farke for one dismal failure for then another, would take on new levels of idiocy......but he should be significantly better than Smith was, at least.

• Like 1

I think all the good teams have found a way past the German method of playing now. It'll be down to 4-4-2 and a decent summer transfer window - if of course we have any money?

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You were not remotely patient with Dean Smith, especially in comparison to the nearly unprecedented patience afforded Farke.

18 months is a deceptive way of putting it. It was more like 2/3 of a season with a sub-standard inherited squad fire-fighting in the Premier League and half a season  rebuilding in the Championship, most of it spent at the top end of the table.

Edit: Smith was with us since November 2021, so nothing like 18 months anyway.

Not sure that's fair, there were plenty who had had enough of Farke first season, then wanted him out start of second season etc. 

The ultimate difference / problem I think, is the remit given when DS was appointed. Sacking Farke to stay in the Prem, then the football we saw for the most-part being a drawback. I was happy to accept that the playing squad simply wasn't good enough and not staying up shouldn't really be a huge black mark on DS. 

When we got relegated under Farke, he at least had the brownie points of an absolutely excellent championship season. DS needed to replicate that this season to stand any chance with the wider fanbase, I think. And unfortunately we never really saw consistent evolution of footballing style.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good appointment. Is he better than Farke? Time will tell, but if he is not as good, or significantly worse, then the folly of sacking Farke for one dismal failure for then another, would take on new levels of idiocy......but he should be significantly better than Smith was, at least.

I mean it's possible but I struggle to see how he can be any worse than Smith and Shakespeare.

He just needs to show that German coaches are better than British 😉

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He doesn't need to be better than Farke, he needs to improve this club from the position it's in now. Not the position our ex-ex manager left or presided over.

We need to move on from Daniel Farke. It's ridiculous he's even being mentioned as a measure of comparison for the new manager.

• Like 2

Patience isn’t really a virtue widely practiced by many football supporters.  We definitely need to give it a decent amount of time to work, but if he can get the squad playing anything like to its potential we should be fine.

He’s probably the most sensible of the (realistic) names mentioned, particularly given his previous relationship with Webber.  

• Like 1

Disappointed but it what we’ve come to expect. If this doesn’t work then surely that’s it for Webber. 
To be honest I’m not sure anyone can get this bunch of individuals firing. The squad is so unbalanced. 
January will be interesting. Without any signings I can’t see us finishing top 6. 
Time will tell, and will get behind Wagner, but I’m feeling pretty deflated. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He doesn't need to be better than Farke, he needs to improve this club from the position it's in now. Not the position our ex-ex manager left or presided over.

We need to move on from Daniel Farke. It's ridiculous he's even being mentioned as a measure of comparison for the new manager.

Why? The folly of sacking Farke is still quite fresh. He ought to have been our manager for years, even if it meant ups and downs. To replace him as we did with Smith was folly upon folly - and now we are trying to redress that.  Farke is the benchmark for championship success, so of course whoever gets the job can be compared to that benchmark.  Wagner has the right attributes, lets see if he can get us up there playing the scintillating football that Farke had us playing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Some were patient, but Carrow Rd as a whole never accepted Dean Smith. It was always a massive task to replace Farke and only survival last season would've given him a chance at a bond with the crowd. The atmosphere has been poor at CR for a few years but this season has been the worst I have known as a ST holder.

Before I get called all sorts, I'm not saying its the fans fault at all, simply stating my opinion that the atmosphere at CR has been woeful (even when top of the league) and that extra battle Smith had, along with the inconsistent football, showed he was simply on borrowed time this season, if not well before then.

And no, many many fans were not patient with Farke. Fortunately the difference with Smith was that the crowd at CR didn't turn toxic and I think the complete overhaul that Farke oversaw of our philosophy and squad is the main reason. With Smith we were the big fish and we simply weren't acting and performing like it. But this board had numerous posters calling for Farkes head for a number of months before realising he actually had a strategy (and it helped we started winning I suppose - maybe fans are just fickle? Hmm) and that he was delivering consistent, often beautiful football (with the help of one of the best players to ever put on a City shirt) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Not sure that's fair, there were plenty who had had enough of Farke first season, then wanted him out start of second season etc. 

The ultimate difference / problem I think, is the remit given when DS was appointed. Sacking Farke to stay in the Prem, then the football we saw for the most-part being a drawback. I was happy to accept that the playing squad simply wasn't good enough and not staying up shouldn't really be a huge black mark on DS. 

When we got relegated under Farke, he at least had the brownie points of an absolutely excellent championship season. DS needed to replicate that this season to stand any chance with the wider fanbase, I think. And unfortunately we never really saw consistent evolution of footballing style.

I liked Farke, but this season for Smith was equivalent to Farke's first Championship season, not the second, and Smith was doing alright on the remit. The complaints throughout most of the season were about aesthetics, and even then were ignoring that we were getting some nice passages of play in fits and bursts.

For 90 minutes of great football you need a full team of players on 100% for 90 minutes; if you have a full team of players each on it  80% of the game, then that amounts to the whole team linking up it barely 10% of the game.

We were getting some nice passages of 20minutes or so under Smith, sometimes even a whole half. There was every reason to think there was a base for things to become better aesthetically, especially given results were actually quite reasonable.

People point to the last run of bad results, and that would have been fair enough if many people hadn't already dismissed him in their heads well before that.

All the talk of patience regarding the next guy tells me that some people are quietly recognising they were wrong without being prepared to admit it, which I suppose is about as much as you can expect.

Don't get the whole 'easy' option remarks as he's mates with Webber (well I do, it's simply a cheap shot at Webber). Does it not make sense to appoint someone who has proven they have done it in both the Championship and Premier League and can deliver the attacking brand of football we crave?! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Why? The folly of sacking Farke is still quite fresh. He ought to have been our manager for years, even if it meant ups and downs. To replace him as we did with Smith was folly upon folly - and now we are trying to redress that.  Farke is the benchmark for championship success, so of course whoever gets the job can be compared to that benchmark.  Wagner has the right attributes, lets see if he can get us up there playing the scintillating football that Farke had us playing.

It's not "fresh" it happened 14 months ago! 

The measure by which Wagner should be judged is against whether he improves this side, whether he gets us pushing for promotion and on a longer term his results in training. 

It shouldn't be about Farke whatsoever.