Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

The new manager markets are back - with a new name

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Google is your friend. He last managed Hoffenheim.

Thanks genius.

I was more interested in information I couldn't find on Google and also to promote a conversation as this is a message board after all.

Sheesh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Son of former Hertha BSC vice-president Dieter Hoeness, and a nephew of Bayern Munich and Germany legend Uli Hoeness. Should know a good striker with that family background as both of them scored as strikers for West Germany. Mainly worked with reserve and youth teams, incl. RB Leipzig and Bayern Munich.

Hoffenheim was his first job as a manager for a senior team. It didn't end too well - they looked promising halfway through his last season but faded quite badly.

• Like 1

Interesting name. Young by managerial standards, came through a similar path to Farke in managing a big clubs youth/reserves at Bayern. Nephew of Uli, Bayern President and former German international.

Was intrigued to see Hoffenheim sacked him after finishing 9th which isn't terrible by their standards but it looks like they took 3 points from the final 27 available that season which might explain it.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Son of former Hertha BSC vice-president Dieter Hoeness, and a nephew of Bayern Munich and Germany legend Uli Hoeness. Should know a good striker with that family background as both of them scored as strikers for West Germany. Mainly worked with reserve and youth teams, incl. RB Leipzig and Bayern Munich.

Hoffenheim was his first job as a manager for a senior team. It didn't end too well - they looked promising halfway through his last season but faded quite badly.

Also related to legendary quiz host, Blockbuster's Bob Hoeness.😉

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Will be well suited here then!!

• Haha 1

A very brief bit I found on his style from his time with Bayern's reserves

An exponent of a 4-2-3-1 formation, Hoeneß strikes the necessary balance between defensive stability and expansive attacking football. His decision to invest in youngsters such as American Chris Richards and teenager Angelo Stiller over some of his more experienced squad members speaks to his in-built talent radar, while game-changing switches such as the Matchday 23 introduction of New Zealand international Sarpreet Singh - who scored twice from the bench in a 4-2 win over relegation-fighting Viktoria Cologne - underscore his super-savvy reputation. Throw in a German passport and you may believe you are staring Hansi Flick in the face.

I stuck a little bet on him with zero knowledge and the odds went down to 9/2. I'm not sure there's much money going on in the market, not sure there's really any solid idea on who it is going to be, either!

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I stuck a little bet on him with zero knowledge and the odds went down to 9/2. I'm not sure there's much money going on in the market, not sure there's really any solid idea on who it is going to be, either!

It'd be worth sticking a bigger one on Bruce just to see social media in meltdown.

• Haha 2

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It'd be worth sticking a bigger one on Bruce just to see social media in meltdown.

Someone on the train home after the game was 100% convinced Bruce was our next manager and refused to acknowledge even the slightest chance that it wouldn't be him. He just knew, apparently 🙂

• Sad 1

He seemed to struggle a bit later on with Hoffenheim - almost sounds Farke-like in getting quite a lot of goals scored but not keeping them out at the other end.

Here's an article in German from the start of June this year, so I'll translate it on the run....

Nach Aus bei der TSG Hoffenheim: Sebastian Hoeneß will vorerst pausieren - Fußball - SWR Sport

Sebastian Hoeneß has no intention of jumping straight into a new job after being sacked from TSG Hoffenheim.

"Now is a good time to structure the three years of experience I have had as a trainer of a professional side and reflect on them. I'd like to recharge my batteries", the 40-year old Hoeness told Sport-Bild (German sports magazine).

Hoeneß had to leave the Bundesliga outfit at the end of the previous season after a series of defeats meant Hoffenheim missed out on European football.

Discussions have taken place

Hoeneß said that whilst he has had discussions with clubs who were interested, he has decided against taking a new position this summer. have taken place with interested clubs. He is reputedly one of the candiates to replace Markus Weinzierl at FC Augsburg (Bundesliga outfit).

He joined Hoffenheim from Bayern Munich's reserves in the summer of 2020. "It was a stressful time", said Hoeneß. The Hoffenheim hotseat was taken by Andre Breitenreiter.

- - - - - - - - -

Well, he won't cost anything in compo, and he'll have had a few months to recharge his batteries.

• Thanks 2

I like the sound of him mainly as I've never heard of him and the last two managers I'd never heard of got us promoted. Sign him up nephew tom!

• Like 1

I mentioned him in the ‘he’s gone’ thread on the 27th December as I’d Sen him linked from somewhere online. I have to say I know nothing about him aside from that mentioned already 

Edit: just seen Gunn shows response. Thank you, certainly gets me intrigued  

Edited by SwearyCanary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't pronounce his name so therefore hope he don't get hired. Seriously however wonder if Webbers list has been leaked and that is where his name has come from? Seems to have come from nowhere

It's either got some mileage and has appeared as it's close, or someone listened to Webbers 'two aren't even in the markets' comment and went looking for the most Norwich-y manager not currently being spoken about 

I still feel it'll be Wagner

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't pronounce his name so therefore hope he don't get hired. Seriously however wonder if Webbers list has been leaked and that is where his name has come from? Seems to have come from nowhere

The closest you will get is if you imagine someone from Birmingham saying "Her Ness" 🤣

Not sure how Hoeness gets a work permit, you have to have managed for 24 months consecutively, or 36 months in total, in a qualifying league during the last 5 years. He managed Hoffenheim for 23 months-maybe it would be given on appeal,  

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Someone on the train home after the game was 100% convinced Bruce was our next manager and refused to acknowledge even the slightest chance that it wouldn't be him. He just knew, apparently 🙂

You’re getting sacked in the morning

You’re getting sacked in the morning

Sacked in the morning

You’re getting sacked in the morning.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

The way that Allan Russell has reinvented himself is bizarre.

I remember him at my home club Hamilton Accies. He was one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of bad ones.

Then all of a sudden he was striking coach for England.

It's like being in Bizarro world.

You know what they say Darko.

If you can , do it.

If you can't, teach it.

Apologies and no disrespect  to teachers, half of mine were ok. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Angry said:

Not sure how Hoeness gets a work permit, you have to have managed for 24 months consecutively, or 36 months in total, in a qualifying league during the last 5 years. He managed Hoffenheim for 23 months-maybe it would be given on appeal,  

Thought it took about 3 years to appeal anything through the FO. Certainly won’t be done by Friday, let alone Thursday, if indeed he is not eligible.

Did a little research on Transfermarkt this morning, looking for “out of the blue” options, that I thought fit Webber’s criteria. Just guesses. Complied a small shortlist of potentials. 

I posted the list on the “Let’s Do Some Wild Speculation” thread, and the list included Sebastian Hoeneß. 

Nice to see his name involved in the betting now. 

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Thought it took about 3 years to appeal anything through the FO. Certainly won’t be done by Friday, let alone Thursday, if indeed he is not eligible.

It's not the FO that adjudicates on appeals, it's a panel appointed by the FA.

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

It's not the FO that adjudicates on appeals, it's a panel appointed by the FA.

Should let the FA rule on allowing European nurses back then.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

What Uefa license has he got? If its a pro one which I'm sure they have to have in the German top 2 leagues then he should get a permit relatively easily. 

6 minutes ago, Payno10 said:

Let’s be honest it’s gonna be David Wagner, really can’t see it being anyone else 

It seems so, but I suppose we’ve seen it all before. However anyone offering any price on Wagner is getting their hands bitten off.