Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Watford

I didn't see this at the time Ricardo - I kept away from the website after the match - I was fed up with football!

Great to have you back and great report as ever.

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

What we need to do now is quickly arrest the slide. A new man has to work fast to give us some stability as things have a worrying tendency to snowball.

Forget the playoffs for the moment and get back to basics.

Six days after Smith was sacked it seems he wasn't the problem. It's everyone else. The new manager will be shown the same impatience. He'd better work really fast or he will become the problem and Smith will suddenly become the one we should have kept. 

That would never happen would it?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ricardo said:

What we need to do now is quickly arrest the slide. A new man has to work fast to give us some stability as things have a worrying tendency to snowball.

Forget the playoffs for the moment and get back to basics.

Back to basics is an excellent call. For starters, fans attending Carrow Road can persist in the back to basics philosophy they've adopted since Smith's dismissal and back the goddamned team to the hilt when the game is still in progress, whatever their personal opinions on hands in pockets, the ideal waistline for middle-aged men, and tea.

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Six days after Smith was sacked it seems he wasn't the problem. It's everyone else. The new manager will be shown the same impatience. He'd better work really fast or he will become the problem and Smith will suddenly become the one we should have kept. 

That would never happen would it?

Being successful as a team, as a manager, as a club is, I believe, quite a complex equation, rather a strange chemistry or even an alchemy about it. Everything has to align. Mourinho struggled, Van Gaal did and countless others. Conte is the latest. You can't always win them all. I've learned to just go a bit with the flow as I've got older. Certainly I don't like hounding folk. Or posters. 

Sometimes you need a change. A new direction. I think the whole club needs it again. The new manager might be the catalyst. Or we may drift around mid table for a while. All is not without hope but the excitement is rather missing (though it didn't stop a 60 plus someone shouting at the TV a couple of days ago in the 80th minute😅).

Folk are impatient you're right there. 

Edited by sonyc

16 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Being successful as a team, as a manager, as a club is, I believe, quite a complex equation, rather a strange chemistry or even an alchemy about it. Everything has to align. Mourinho struggled, Van Gaal did and countless others. Conte is the latest. You can't always win them all. I've learned to just go a bit with the flow as I've got older. Certainly I don't like hounding folk. Or posters. 

Sometimes you need a change. A new direction. I think the whole club needs it again. The new manager might be the catalyst. Or we may drift around mid table for a while. All is not without hope but the excitement is rather missing (though it didn't stop a 60 plus something shouting at the TV a couple of days ago in the 80th minute😅).

Folk are impatient you're right there. 

Yes it's the old but true David McNally quote that football is cyclical. He said that when he was given Messiah status and it always stuck with me. Our biggest problem is how fast our particular cycle has spun.

It's always worth looking at the binners because they are our nearest rivals. They got relegated with us in 1995 then beat us back up, had two seasons in the sun before being relegated and haven't returned since. In fact they fell to League One in 2019 and have now been there four seasons.

We had a season in the sun in 2004 got relegated, bottomed out in League One for one season, then returned to the Prem for three, yoyoed three times and here we are attempting a fourth.

Weirdly I think there's more excitement about the binners finally crawling out of the third division than there is about us being promoted yet again. It used to be said that the jopurney to the prem was better than being there. Now both the journey and being there have both gone stale. I doubt there's any set of circumstances that would have caused much excitement this season. Maybe the FA Cup and for the moment we can still have hopes and dreams there...

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1