Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Watford

I haven't been to Carrow Road since early November and it felt it bit awkward going back again after recent events. I had a few thoughts about it but my great grandson was keen so away we went on cold but otherwise bright afternoon. I told him to wrap up well but the young don't seem to listen and there he was with no gloves or hat, what can you do?

City began with purpose and penned the Hornets back early doors but couldn't find any openings in a crowded penalty area. Sargent appeared to beĀ  bundled over from behind but ref Mr Linnington waved away the appeals. When the danger was finally cleared it was Watford who came close to opening their account as Davis cut in from the right and Gunn had to make the save from a narrow angle. It got a bit fiesty in midfield and a bit of play acting set the crowd off as the visitors engaged in some early time wasting. The home side bossed the early possession but most moves broke down before they could breach the eighteen yard line while the visitors were quick to break away as soon as we lost the ball. Indeed, only a wayward shot and a block by McCallum prevented them from going in front.

There was plenty of effort and movement but we were unable to sustain enough pressure on the Watford goal where Bachmann was a virtual spectator. We did have the ball in the net after about 35 minutes but Hanley's crisp header was ruled out for offside. It looked close but there weren't many complaints from the players. It was a frustrating half with some decent play at times but the ball seemed to mainly ping about like it was on some pin-ball table and any pressure that the home side could exert was quickly relieved by some swift Watford breaks that had defenders scurrying back to cover.

Most of City's good stuff was coming from Max Aarons down the right but he couldn't set anyone up and when he had a go himself his shot was well off target. Just before the break a nice ball from Gibbs put Sargent in on the City left and he might have done better to look for a pass but tried to cut inside and ran into multiple defenders.

At the half it looked fairly obvious that this would very likely be a one goal game and it was a toss up as to who would be on the winning end. Nothing seems to be going for us lately so I wasn't greatly encouraged although my great grandson still seemed very positive despite the decling temperature.

The second period began much as the first one finished with City attacks breaking down and Watford breakaways causing problems. On 50 minutes the visitors should really have taken the lead as they broke at speed down their left and a header back across goal was almost turned in by Sarr. Somehow a combination of Gunn and a couple of defenders managed to block almost on the line.

There had been little to worry Bachmann in the way of shots on goal and it wasn't until well after the hour that Nunez dragged Pukki's set up a yard or so wide of his right post. It seemed to open the game up however and a minute or so later a cute ball from Sara put Sargent through the centre. Bachmann was very quick off his line and collided with the City Striker as the ball flew over the bar. Aarons appeared to be carrying an injury from an earlier tackle and limped off with a quarter hour left to be replaced by Omobamidele.

After this we had another bout of Watford players milking the clock and the usual series of dubious reffereeing decisions that have blighted so many games this season. On one occasion a Watford defender appeared to have been shot by someone in the crowd because there wasn't a City player within five yards of him as he spun and collapsed dramatically. Mr Linnington allowed play to run for once and Pukki's pass found Sara who was desperately unlucky to see his shot fly inches wide of the post.

Next it was Idah with a strong run across the penalty area and a shot just beyond the far post as City increased the pressure. The visitors were struggling to get the ball away and a poor clearance went straight to Gibbs. Unfortunately his return ball was weak and Watford sprang forward at speed and this time a quick ball in from the left beat covering defenders and Bayo was on hand to turn the ball in from ten yards with only four minutes left.

At least the officials were fair with the time wasting and there was no surprise to see nine minutes added. There were a couple of close things as City tried to repair the damage but to be honest in the grand scheme of things an equaliser didn't look likely. I could see my great grandsons teeth were beginning to chatter so I took mercy on him and dodged out two or three minutes before the end. Years of this sort of misery have taught me that I would be unlikely to miss anything and that proved to be the case. I just hope today hasn't put him off because this could go on for quite a while.

Football is often a microcosm of life both personally and for Norwich City. It gives us moments of joy and moments of despair and the glowing expectations of August are often dashed and broken by events in December, leaving only a dim light at the end of a long dark tunnel. Experience of life tells me that somewhere off in the distance sunlit uplands will open up again but when that will be and how far away I am unable to say.

All that is left is to persevere and to continue to live in hope.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Football is often a microcosm of life both personally and for Norwich City. It gives us moments of joy and moments of despair and the glowing expectations of August are often dashed and broken by events in December, leaving only a dim light at the end of a long dark tunnel. Experience of life tells me that somewhere off in the distance sunlit uplands will open up again but when that will be and how far away I am unable to say

ā™„ļø

• Like 2

A characteristically accurate and insightful summary, Ricardo. Great to see you back, despite the performance and result.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Hope your Great Grandson is good company for you.

He's keen enough. I just hope he learns to keep warm. When I was boy and used to go out with just a T shirt on my mother would say, "you will pay for that later in life" but I never listened either.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Years of this sort of misery have taught me that I would be unlikely to miss anything and that proved to be the case. I just hope today hasn't put him off because this could go on for quite a while.

Football is often a microcosm of life both personally and for Norwich City. It gives us moments of joy and moments of despair and the glowing expectations of August are often dashed and broken by events in December, leaving only a dim light at the end of a long dark tunnel. Experience of life tells me that somewhere off in the distance sunlit uplands will open up again but when that will be and how far away I am unable to say.

All that is left is to persevere and to continue to live in hope

Welcome back R. A lot of common sense as ever and your usual perspective and shrewd perception. We all need that.

As for the game, sometimes when things are not going well on the pitch the ball just doesn't fall for you! On so many occasions, despite very average performances we just don't get a ball bouncing our way in the area.....or it takes a lucky deflection ...or the referee is terrible. The opposite of course is true when you win the league. The luck (providence?) tends to follow you.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I was offered a ticket for today, but declined it to spend more time with my Family. Luckily I didn't miss anything - not just the result, but Ricardo's reports are back - huzzar!, and now I feel like I was there. Welcome back.

I'm beginning to think that these "Sunlit Uplands" that everyone keeps talking about don't exist - I'm not even sure that we have any Uplands in Norfolk to be Sunlit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Welcome back R. A lot of common sense as ever and your usual perspective and shrewd perception. We all need that.

As for the game, sometimes when things are not going well on the pitch the ball just doesn't fall for you! On so many occasions, despite very average performances we just don't get a ball bouncing our way in the area.....or it takes a lucky deflection ...or the referee is terrible. The opposite of course is true when you win the league. The luck (providence?) tends to follow you.

Thanks.

Indeed, Ive been going for so long that I feel I can now recognise these dead periods when they come around. You can see that the players are giving everything and that for me is enough. Dame fortune has turned her face away for the moment but nothing lasts forever.

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, Ive been going for so long that I feel I can now recognise these dead periods when they come around. You can see that the players are giving everything and that for me is enough. Dame fortune has turned her face away for the moment but nothing lasts forever.

Ā 

Ā 

Welcome back, excellent summary. Sometimes when I read the posts on here I wonder if I've watched the same game. As Til put it you are a voice of reason.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Welcome back, excellent summary. Sometimes when I read the posts on here I wonder if I've watched the same game. As Til put it you are a voice of reason.

Perhaps because I have seen this scenario play out at Carrow Road so many times before and I now realise that nothing is ever as good as you hoped nor as bad as you feared.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Perhaps because I have seen this scenario play out at Carrow Road so many times before and I now realise that nothing is ever as good as you hoped nor as bad as you feared.

Indeed.

I've cheered up no end seeing you back tonight RickyyyyyšŸ‘

• Thanks 1

I'm always amazed you remember so much from games, Ricardo.

Especially forgettable ones like today.

I remember Watford scoring. Not much else.

Welcome back, Ricardo. I've been reading your reports for years now.Ā 

I've lost hope in this squad and management. I don't see much at all happening this season.Ā 

Next season will be telling, but with the finances dwindling and players under selling themselves, I'm not convinced of much in terms of a promotional push in the near future.

We have been spoilt in recent years and it may be our time to spend some time at the back of the line.Ā 

Edited by Chelm Canary

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

He's keen enough. I just hope he learns to keep warm. When I was boy and used to go out with just a T shirt on my mother would say, "you will pay for that later in life" but I never listened either.

We knew everything at that age. Or thought we did. Now I actually believe kids do know everything.

Welcome back Ricky, look forward to more insightful stuff in the future. The problem is more off theĀ pitch than on it, at present, let's hope Thursday brings some resolution although not holding my breath.

Edited by shefcanary

Welcome home @ricardo

How old is the little boy? Hoping no one dobs you in to the authorities. Some will see it as cruelty but I like to think of it as character formingšŸ˜Š

Ā 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Welcome home @ricardo

How old is the little boy? Hoping no one dobs you in to the authorities. Some will see it as cruelty but I like to think of it as character formingšŸ˜Š

Ā 

Actually he is fourteen and taller than mešŸ˜‰.

Ā 

10 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Welcome back, Ricardo. I've been reading your reports for years now.Ā 

I've lost hope in this squad and management. I don't see much at all happening this season.Ā 

Next season will be telling, but with the finances dwindling and players under selling themselves, I'm not convinced of much in terms of a promotional push in the near future.

We have been spoilt in recent years and it may be our time to spend some time at the back of the line.Ā 

What we need to do now is quickly arrest the slide. A new man has to work fast to give us some stability as things have a worrying tendency to snowball.

Forget the playoffs for the moment and get back to basics.

• Like 2

Great to have you and your excellent reports back! As you say there is a faint glimmer of light still burning and it will probably take a new manager more than the next 4 months to speed us through the tunnel and back into the full light - I think we all know this team is far from being capable for the premier league and it will need a whole lot of rebuilding