Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Ramsey ?

Will he stay now Smith has gone ? It xcould be a few weeks before he is fit enough to play. It would leave three loan places available, something City should use as the league is wide open with the top six places as musical chairs. Different teams each week. A couple of good strikers and we could still even bag an automatic place

I like Ramsey; he's a very talented player and I think we've missed him. I also get the impression that he didn't quite get the credit he deserves, probably because he is Smith's protege, and also because he isn't actually owned by us.

Not sure how long he's out for, but it does seem like it could be a while, which is a shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Will he stay now Smith has gone ? It xcould be a few weeks before he is fit enough to play. It would leave three loan places available, something City should use as the league is wide open with the top six places as musical chairs. Different teams each week. A couple of good strikers and we could still even bag an automatic place

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Seems likely to be out for a little while, but he’s presumably our player unless Villa recall him. 

It was saud to be a season long lona, but I ma not sure about a recall, or us having the right to end that loan in Jan. I agree with Wackys points above, but feel that with such an open Championship this season we should throw everything we have at getting up, and if Aaron is likely to be out for any length of time his place could be filled with sa PL loanee.

Just now, PockthorpePete said:

I can only imagine your hurt and upset if we were to go up.

I don't think I'll have to worry about that! However, if some miracle did befall us and we scrambled up via the play offs then what would frighten me to death and I suspect most other Yellows would be the sheer embarrassment of a third recent PL capitulation.  Unless the Yanks truly bankroll us we will have no cash to spend (some £40 M of what we would have is already gone) and we have no 'crown jewels' to sell to generate funds so a very unappealing prospect one might suggest? Almost this entire squad would need to be ditched with only a handful being anywhere near 'P L quality'

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I like Ramsey; he's a very talented player and I think we've missed him. I also get the impression that he didn't quite get the credit he deserves, probably because he is Smith's protege, and also because he isn't actually owned by us.

Not sure how long he's out for, but it does seem like it could be a while, which is a shame.

From what I've seen I would happily do a straight swap for Sargent. I think Ramsey has far more potential.

EDIT: And I was one of those who made sarcastic comments when he arrived, calling him 'Smith's little Villa boy'. I was wrong.

Edited by canarybubbles

I would have thought this loan will be terminated in January if the prognosis that Allan Russell suggested (out for several months) is accurate.  Villa will want to oversee the treatment and recovery and presumably we’ll want the option to bring in other loanees. 

15 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

From what I've seen I would happily do a straight swap for Sargent. I think Ramsey has far more potential.

Hmm. How much do you think Sargent is worth at this moment?

1 minute ago, mrD66M said:

Hmm. How much do you think Sargent is worth at this moment?

Point taken. I didn't say Villa would accept the deal. 😀

A full USA international, scoring close to a goal every other game whilst playing out of position.  I am going to guess 20M, based on Armstrong to Southampton costing 15M for a goal every 3 games at the same level.

Ramsey looks a good player, with the talent at Villa they might be tempted to sell at 5M (equally that is a guess).

6 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

A full USA international, scoring close to a goal every other game whilst playing out of position.  I am going to guess 20M, based on Armstrong to Southampton costing 15M for a goal every 3 games at the same level.

Ramsey looks a good player, with the talent at Villa they might be tempted to sell at 5M (equally that is a guess).

Wow, our relative valuation of these two players is way different.

I thought Ramsey had gone back to villa for treatment as his injury is long term?

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

I thought Ramsey had gone back to villa for treatment as his injury is long term?

He has.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Wow, our relative valuation of these two players is way different.

Ramsay £12m, Sargent £5m. 

That's my estimate right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ramsay £12m, Sargent £5m. 

That's my estimate right now.

Do you really think that is all Sargent is worth?

Transfermarkt has Josh valued at 12M and Aaron at 3M.

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Do you really think that is all Sargent is worth?

Transfermarkt has Josh valued at 12M and Aaron at 3M.

The way the transfer market has been the last few years a player is worth f*ck all if there is only Championship interest as nobody is spending. They are only worth money if there is interest from the top tiers of a few European countries. I can't see any Premier League interest for Sargent just yet personally. 

I could see an ambitious MLS side wanting to make him their main attacking player, definitely. But only 5 players in MLS history have signed for an MLS side for more than 5 million euros, and at 12 million euros Sargent would be the joint 3rd highest ever transfer fee paid by an MLS club. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest fees paid were all paid by the same side, Atlanta, and all three were Argentines, two of them full Internationals... for the side which just won the World Cup.

One thing that Premier League sides do all want is homegrown players though, as there are minimum homegrown player quotas. Ramsay is one of those and Sargent isn't.

No idea how the Transfermarkt algorithm works, but it reckons Todd Cantwell is worth 8m and yet that is clearly nonsense, he could sign for Rangers today for £0 and join them in June. Meanwhile if anybody offered us £1m cash for him I suspect Webber would offer to drive him to his new club himself, even if it were in Holland.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The way the transfer market has been the last few years a player is worth f*ck all if there is only Championship interest as nobody is spending. They are only worth money if there is interest from the top tiers of a few European countries. I can't see any Premier League interest for Sargent just yet personally. 

I could see an ambitious MLS side wanting to make him their main attacking player, definitely. But only 5 players in MLS history have signed for an MLS side for more than 5 million euros, and at 12 million euros Sargent would be the joint 3rd highest ever transfer fee paid by an MLS club. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest fees paid were all paid by the same side, Atlanta, and all three were Argentines, two of them full Internationals... for the side which just won the World Cup.

One thing that Premier League sides do all want is homegrown players though, as there are minimum homegrown player quotas. Ramsay is one of those and Sargent isn't.

No idea how the Transfermarkt algorithm works, but it reckons Todd Cantwell is worth 8m and yet that is clearly nonsense, he could sign for Rangers today for £0 and join them in June. Meanwhile if anybody offered us £1m cash for him I suspect Webber would offer to drive him to his new club himself, even if it were in Holland.

Those are all fair points, I just think if someone wants them that price rockets, and genuinely think we are a bit down on Sargent - he is not perfect but he is a valuable asset.

On 01/01/2023 at 17:16, PockthorpePete said:

Will he stay now Smith has gone ? It could be a few weeks before he is fit enough to play. It would leave three loan places available, something City should use as the league is wide open with the top six places as musical chairs. Different teams each week. A couple of good strikers and we could still even bag an automatic place

Seems I was right. Now lets use those three vacant loan plces to get in some strikers, and send the two ends of the pantomime horse (Hugill/Idah) out to pasture, or loan if possible.

He'll be a massive miss. Despite all the wailing on here he was close to MOM every time he played. A creator and scorer of goals. Quality that's unlikely to be replaced in this window.