Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Wagner now odds on favourite

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The most glaring bit we need is a proper DM to play a Wagner system. Hayden could be the answer but isn't reliable at this point.

dont worry he will buy Alex Pritchard for 11 million to fill the gapĀ 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The most glaring bit we need is a proper DM to play a Wagner system. Hayden could be the answer but isn't reliable at this point.

Oooh good! I was looking forwards to discussing this again!Ā šŸ˜ƒĀ šŸ‘

Remind me - do we need a CDM or a DCM?

(Sorry KIO - just a joke)

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

You mean like McClean did on Friday ?

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Wagner does employ a high press, but there's lots of similarities. 4-2-3-1, Keeper plays it to feet, build from the back, dominate possession, short passing game, attacking full backs, attackers given license to move around.

https://terrierspirit.com/david-wagners-tactics/#:~:text=Another key part of Wagner's,and try to find space.Ā  << more detail there.

What I like about it is the clarity of it - and we know it can work.Ā 

However, similar to Farkeball, it requires great fitness - something that caused us problems with injuries - especially in the PL - as it did with Huddersfield in their second season in the PL.Ā 

So if it is Wagner, we'll be back to a Farke type manager, will engage with the fans, will see a return to the type of patientĀ  but exciting football, dominating posession and hopefully goals and wins that we saw under Farke in this league.Ā 

So looking out for the next installment of "All the Germans"............."Wagner life" doesn't quite work though, does it.........

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

What I like about it is the clarity of it - and we know it can work.Ā 

However, similar to Farkeball, it requires great fitness - something that caused us problems with injuries - especially in the PL - as it did with Huddersfield in their second season in the PL.Ā 

So if it is Wagner, we'll be back to a Farke type manager, will engage with the fans, will see a return to the type of patientĀ  but exciting football, dominating posession and hopefully goals and wins that we saw under Farke in this league.Ā 

So looking out for the next installment of "All the Germans"............."Wagner life" doesn't quite work though, does it.........

This is something that we will all need to bear in mind if Wagner does get the gig. Farke required ascetic adherence to his demands, including double sessions, to get his players fit enough to play the kind of football he wanted to play.

It has often been noted that we only tend to play in 'patches', and don't look nearly as fit as we were under Farke. As such, if Wagner is appointed we may well require a great deal of patience, as we did in Farke's first season in charge.

If we don't sneak into the playoffs and go up via the back door, it mightn't be the worst outcome. At least that way Wagner would have had a clear eight months to instil his values, tactics and fitness regime, plus two transfer windows to weed out those players who don't want to be a part of it.

The above applies whoever the manager is, I guess, but especially if his strategy is predicated around high fitness levels and a more technically astuteĀ playing style.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Getting the right man is key, hopefully Wagner will strikeĀ a chord with our fans and there will be harmony, probably the best we can hope for at the minuet.

I still say that, going by last game, no manager at all is the best route to harmony.

In fact, I want whoever is appointed sacked immediately after the first loss to unify the fans unless he wins his first 50 games in a row with 90 minutes of free-flowing, fun-to-watch football every game where he claps the fans during the entire 90 minutes.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Getting the right man is key, hopefully Wagner will strikeĀ a chord with our fans and there will be harmony, probably the best we can hope for at the minuet.

Surprised that nobody was able to note the musical puns in that post. If Wagner's key attributes aren't enough to stave off our demise, Webber can always give him the Chopin and go back toĀ his Liszt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

.."Wagner life" doesn't quite work though, does it.........

Ā 

How about.....

I'mĀ  a Wagner, i'm a WagnerĀ 

And it does me good

as it bluddy wellĀ should

I'm a Wagner, im a WagnerĀ 

And im always pulling my Pud!!

šŸ˜‡

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Surprised that nobody was able to note the musical puns in that post. If Wagner's key attributes aren't enough to stave off our demise, Webber can always give him the Chopin and go back toĀ his Liszt...

Sorry. If I wasn't Brahms and Liszt at the moment I might have picked up on it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Maybe I set the bar tooĀ high or justĀ didnā€™t pitch it right šŸ˜

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Maybe I set the bar tooĀ high or justĀ didnā€™t pitch it right šŸ˜

Don't fret about it.

Ā 

Stylistically and personality wise he's nothing like farke, is it a lazy or hopeful comparison? He's poundland klopp which makes him far mor deano than farke.

2 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Several journalists are saying itā€™s Wagner and several bookies have closed betting, soĀ where do you think itā€™s come from if it isnā€™t info?Ā 

Which journalists are saying Wagner has been chosen? If any reputable journalist was saying we had made the decision it would be all over this message-board,Ā and it is not . In fact the only new reputable report seems to be that from Bailey that Wagner is one of four on a shortlist.

I donā€™t doubt there are reports that Wagner is the favourite, and that might even Ā be true, but that is not the same as the club having made the decision. So far in all this saga the only scoop about an actualĀ decision seems to have been that from Charlie WyettĀ that Smith had been sacked,

Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

A quick edit to cover the post you were quoting that had included a question about Parker. Well done.

HappyĀ  New Year to you

You really are not very bright, are you? You have let your personal animus get in the way again, I am afraid, and led you into stupid error. Not least by assuming I would stoop to sharp practice. I am generally not known for that, I think.

I cannot possibly have been referring to Parker and must instead have been referring to Bruce and Bruce only for two reasons. Firstly, I had noticed yesterday that ParkerĀ was going to Bruges. It was hard to miss here.

Secondly, my post was a reply to Capt Pants who was worried by a bookiesā€™ list with Bruce in second place. I was explaining that the fact that Bruce was so placed byĀ bookies did not at all mean he was Webberā€™s second favourite.

That phrase is there in the post, as a look back will confirm. And a look back will also confirm not only that Parker is not in second place in that list, but isnā€™t in the list at all. So your wishful interpretation of my post cannot possibly be true, can it? But thatĀ only matters if one cares about truth.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just feels like we are about to apoint a Farke tribute actĀ šŸ˜‚

I think you've got that the wrong way round. Webber got Farke in to try and emulate Wagner at Huddersfield.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just feels like we are about to apoint a Farke tribute actĀ šŸ˜‚

Wagner is nothing like Farke, barring the fact they're both German. I'm not sure why so many people think they're similar??

Edited by Ken Hairy

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

A quick edit to cover the post you were quoting that had included a question about Parker. Well done.

HappyĀ  New Year to you

Ā 

54 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You really are not very bright, are you? You have let your personal animus get in the way again, I am afraid, and led you into stupid error. Not least by assuming I would stoop to sharp practice. I am generally not known for that, I think.

I cannot possibly have been referring to Parker and must instead have been referring to Bruce and Bruce only for two reasons. Firstly, I had noticed yesterday that ParkerĀ was going to Bruges. It was hard to miss here.

Secondly, my post was a reply to Capt Pants who was worried by a bookiesā€™ list with Bruce in second place. I was explaining that the fact that Bruce was so placed byĀ bookies did not at all mean he was Webberā€™s second favourite.

That phrase is there in the post, as a look back will confirm. And a look back will also confirm not only that Parker is not in second place in that list, but isnā€™t in the list at all. So your wishful interpretation of my post cannot possibly be true, can it? But thatĀ only matters if one cares about truth.

Pretty clear that Purple was referring to Steve Bruce.

David Wagner comes from the same Rangnick, Klopp, HasenhĆ¼ttl, lineage.Ā 
I think we could do a lot worse than Heavy Metal Football at Carrow Road.Ā 
Ā 

Tactics are subjective but thatā€™s my favourite way to play football.Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s so much fun when it works, and it could here. Ot it couldnā€™t. At least weā€™ll go down swinging for the fences.

• Like 1

Whoever we get we are certainly not going to waltz the league, but we must hope that quality passing football will be our forte.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Wagner is nothing like Farke, barring the fact they're both German. I'm not sure why so many people think they're similar??

They may not be indentical, but the football culture is very similar and the language used is very similar - dominating posession, playing out from the back, playing with patience......the only thing that might be different is playing a high pressing game - but then at it's best, when we were in full flow, Farkeball forced teams back by being fiercely comepetitive high up the pitch which could be seen as a high pressing game , maybe not for 90 minutes, but certainly when we were fired up during matches.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Whereas Parker sounds similar to Farke

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is something that we will all need to bear in mind if Wagner does get the gig. Farke required ascetic adherence to his demands, including double sessions, to get his players fit enough to play the kind of football he wanted to play.

It has often been noted that we only tend to play in 'patches', and don't look nearly as fit as we were under Farke. As such, if Wagner is appointed we may well require a great deal of patience, as we did in Farke's first season in charge.

If we don't sneak into the playoffs and go up via the back door, it mightn't be the worst outcome. At least that way Wagner would have had a clear eight months to instil his values, tactics and fitness regime, plus two transfer windows to weed out those players who don't want to be a part of it.

The above applies whoever the manager is, I guess, but especially if his strategy is predicated around high fitness levels and a more technically astuteĀ playing style.

Perhaps Wagner will bring his Ring Cycle to get the players fitter.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

They may not be indentical, but the football culture is very similar and the language used is very similar - dominating posession, playing out from the back, playing with patience......the only thing that might be different is playing a high pressing game - but then at it's best, when we were in full flow, Farkeball forced teams back by being fiercely comepetitive high up the pitch which could be seen as a high pressing game , maybe not for 90 minutes, but certainly when we were fired up during matches.

I secondĀ this.Ā 
Ā 

The only thing I donā€™t agree on between Farke vs Wagner comparison is patience on the ball.Ā 
Farke played patiently out from the back to entice the opposition press, allowing spaces for passes between the lines, and numerical overloads once that press was passesĀ 
Farke was more of a mid-block manager, but coached pressing situationally, when turnovers were more guaranteed.Ā 

Enter our oddsĀ on fave, Dave. Both managers prefer a 4-2-3-1, with opposing fundamentals.Ā 
Ā 

Wagnerā€™s teams go fromĀ back to front quickly,Ā Ā will play through the lines quickly, Ā and try to the putĀ the defendingĀ back line under pressed ASAP. Itā€™s not long-hall, but vertical play, not sideways, and if the ball is lost towards the back line itā€™s Heavy Metal time. Itā€™s a relentless high press.Ā 
Ā 

As always when we talk about these things. Thereā€™s no correct way to play the game. Farke likes to keep the ball, Wagner likes to progressĀ the ball.Ā 
Ā 

The only guarantee is thereā€™s 4 phases of play.Ā 
Ā 

Enjoy this video, as Iā€™m sure all who watch will note the similarities between Wagner and Farke but will notice the differences.
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Mr. Raumdeuter III
Spelling
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Whoever we get we are certainly not going to waltz the league, but we must hope that quality passing football will be our forte.

Wagner, waltz ? What next ? Mozarts piece for the bagpipes ?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He'd need to work in tandem with the coaching staff

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sounds like a 19th-century precursor to the Soccerbot.