Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Wagner now odds on favourite

Wagner does not excit me, but he is someone I could get behind.  The comments about him playing larger / stronger players seems attractive, except we have to go and buy them......

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Could be something to do with him being appointed manager of  Bruges yesterday.

My post was about why Bruce was second favourite in the betting and nothing to do with Parker.

Edited by PurpleCanary

38 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Apart from Wagner being the worst kept secret. 

It may or may not be true but I have yet to see one story from a reliable journalist based on inside info saying Wagner will be the next head coach.

5 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Wagner does not excit me, but he is someone I could get behind.  The comments about him playing larger / stronger players seems attractive, except we have to go and buy them......

Let's just pray we get the Huddersfield Wagner and not the Shalke version..

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

It may or may not be true but I have yet to see one story from a reliable journalist based on inside info saying Wagner will be the next head coach.

Several journalists are saying it’s Wagner and several bookies have closed betting, so where do you think it’s come from if it isn’t info? 

Am I in a tiny minority here who doesn't actually mind who the hell it is? I will get behind any Norwich manager. I wanted Smith to do well, Farke before him too (even when our first season with him was frustrating).

Wagner will be fine. Just have to hope he is a good fit. Always a bit of a lottery....and that' applies to footballers coming good (strikers especially), managers, owners... etc. Hell, even having the right partner in life is a gamble! You do your due diligence but you never know 

I'm just pleased we get some change now and then. Change is what we needed.

Steady on now's your chance...

• Like 4

Obviously I'll get behind him but I'm not excited by this one. Feels like Webber going to his comfort zone rather than being bold and his lack of success post Huddersfield concerns me.

• Like 2

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Let's just pray we get the Huddersfield Wagner and not the Shalke version..

Let's hope so too, if I was Webber, and having some form of gold hand cuffs in place till the take over happens (BTW I have no idea if that is the case) I would look for someone I knew I could work with straight away.  It might be an interesting January.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

My post was about why Bruce was second favourite in the betting and nothing to do with Parker.

A quick edit to cover the post you were quoting that had included a question about Parker. Well done.

Happy  New Year to you

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Let's hope we get the sort of football that Huddersfield played here when they went up in 2016/17

Screenshot_20230101_074935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d37aec3dad571424656eeb6b65b32139.jpg

That list is a total fabrication of nothingness. Wagner may be the man, but the rest of it is just meaningless if Bruce is deemed second favourite - and if that is the case, then Wagner may not be the man either. 

Just now, sonyc said:

Am I in a tiny minority here who doesn't actually mind who the hell it is? I will get behind any Norwich manager. I wanted Smith to do well, Farke before him too (even when our first season with him was frustrating).

Wagner will be fine. Just have to hope he is a good fit. Always a bit of a lottery....and that' applies to footballers coming good (strikers especially), managers, owners... etc. Hell, even having the right partner in life is a gamble! You do your due diligence but you never know 

I'm just pleased we get some change now and then. Change is what we needed.

Steady on now's your chance...

I like the positivity, being honest I would struggle with John Terry, Sam Alladyce, Colin, Chris Wilder, etc.   I would watch but my fears and concern would come to the surface quicker.

• Like 1

Wagner I think is generally a good choice.

Importantly, most of the fans I think will see him in the Farke 'mould'.

Whatever, he will be a breath of fresh air that all will get behind with a plan/style of play. He  will also have some license to 'fail' unlike Smith. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Obviously I'll get behind him but I'm not excited by this one. Feels like Webber going to his comfort zone rather than being bold and his lack of success post Huddersfield concerns me.

It does feel like a convenient appointment, you can see the sense .....  

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That list is a total fabrication of nothingness. Wagner may be the man, but the rest of it is just meaningless if Bruce is deemed second favourite - and if that is the case, then Wagner may not be the man either. 

Lakey

Bet Victor have it wrong and somebody probably getting sacked, all other betting companies have withdrawn from the market.

This news of Wagner is 3 days old, the difference now is the reports saying we are just agreeing the final bits, with our caretaker talking about his swan song tomorrow.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not too bad of an appointment but it is rather lazy and well.. Not like Wagner has been sacked from his last jobs for being awful or anything 

Awful at Schalke but not terrible with Huddersfield or Young Boys, looking at his Young Boys record yes its not a strong league but a win percentage of 47.5% isn't bad is it? Sacked for finishing second seems a bit harsh. He's not my personal favourite but there is a lot worse out there. 

9 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I like the positivity, being honest I would struggle with John Terry, Sam Alladyce, Colin, Chris Wilder, etc.   I would watch but my fears and concern would come to the surface quicker.

Of course. But even those would be interesting! I would love hearing Warnock's dour post match utterings. As well as his usual guff😂 but I do think as fans we still have  some credit in the bank for German football philosophy. He will be welcomed by the majority. Of course, depending on his record here, that German love in may begin to fade if results are poor.

We have also done rather better with managers who have not been such big names (Hughton, Roeder, Smith even, to name a few, whereas Neil, Lambert and Farke are the obvious recent examples of the opposite). I suppose Wagner is a little bit 'known' but for Webber, he wil be someone he understands and trusts and therefore for him he is a safer bet.

I think he will connect with the fans far better than Smith, who cut rather an isolated figure, almost inward. Wagner (like his namesake, the composer) is full of passion and we may see a lot more of that.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bit harsh to call Wagner a tribute when he's the one who kept a side in the Premier League on an arguably smaller budget.

And came before  Farke , Historically. It could be fairer to say Farke is a Wagner Tribute act.....if we're  going to spout trite nonsense.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

For me it sort of feels like the opposite of a comfort appointment. He already has fan pressure and knows those fans will use that as a stick, so he must be exceedingly confident Wagner can succeed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

For me it sort of feels like the opposite of a comfort appointment. He already has fan pressure and knows those fans will use that as a stick, so he must be exceedingly confident Wagner can succeed

Yep, his reputation depends on it doesn't it? If Farke was gloriously right, Smith a comparative failure, then Wagner has to do the business.

Fine by me, get it sorted and get the guy working with the squad. I’ve never really cared that much who is the manager/coach, within reason.  I’m more interested in how things gel, how we’re playing and whether they get us winning again. Smith didn’t work out (oddly, as his style previously was far more expansive) so the next guy should get a decent chance.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

I'm happy with this. His teams play decent football, he understands the philosophy and what we want to see. He can work with Webber and they trust each other, and far more tactical nous than Smith.

Ok it's not the prototypical perfect imspirational appointment, but he ticks an awful lot of boxes. It's a sensible, relatively safe appointment and we get a return to the free flowing football that we demanded. Farke essentially was continuity from Wagner at Dortmund. Similar styles of play. We wanted Farke 2.0 and this is pretty close.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

I'm happy with this. His teams play decent football, he understands the philosophy and what we want to see. He can work with Webber and they trust each other, and far more tactical nous than Smith.

Ok it's not the prototypical perfect imspirational appointment, but he ticks an awful lot of boxes. It's a sensible, relatively safe appointment and we get a return to the free flowing football that we demanded. Farke essentially was continuity from Wagner at Dortmund. Similar styles of play. We wanted Farke 2.0 and this is pretty close.

I will stand to be corrected, but I thought the only thing they had in common was being German and Wagner plays the Klopp way, High press ?

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Let's hope we get the sort of football that Huddersfield played here when they went up in 2016/17

Screenshot_20230101_074935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d37aec3dad571424656eeb6b65b32139.jpg

Looking at the list and the odds, the only conclusion I can draw is that there is very little money going on any of the candidates - I mean, there can't be many people stupid enough to see Bruce as a good bet at 8-1 surely?

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I will stand to be corrected, but I thought the only thing they had in common was being German and Wagner plays the Klopp way, High press ?

Wagner does employ a high press, but there's lots of similarities. 4-2-3-1, Keeper plays it to feet, build from the back, dominate possession, short passing game, attacking full backs, attackers given license to move around.

https://terrierspirit.com/david-wagners-tactics/#:~:text=Another key part of Wagner's,and try to find space.  << more detail there.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Looking at the list and the odds, the only conclusion I can draw is that there is very little money going on any of the candidates - I mean, there can't be many people stupid enough to see Bruce as a good bet at 8-1 surely?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t think you have been following what’s been happening on this and other threads. Other than Bet Victor and a European betting company, next permanent Norwich manager markets have been withdrawn, the European bookmaker has Wagner at 1/200. This is 4 day old news Wagner has been backed constantly at odds on. The difference now is the reports that we are just crossing the i’s and dotting the t’s, and Russell talking about his ‘ swan song ‘ tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Wagner does employ a high press, but there's lots of similarities. 4-2-3-1, Keeper plays it to feet, build from the back, dominate possession, short passing game, attacking full backs, attackers given license to move around.

https://terrierspirit.com/david-wagners-tactics/#:~:text=Another key part of Wagner's,and try to find space.  << more detail there.

That will be Krull back in goal then lol

• Haha 1

i would prefer the Excitement of the unknown ,

something Fresh 

someone who has been winning 

i know most managers have a history with other clubs but is Wagner truly a manager who is on a upward curve ? 

Just now, Well b back said:

That will be Krull back in goal then lol

The most glaring bit we need is a proper DM to play a Wagner system. Hayden could be the answer but isn't reliable at this point.