Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Saxon Earley Sold?

At the end of Steve Evans’s post match interview  he said that on loan Saxon Earley has been sold by us to a top, top League One side for a big fee. I hope it’s not the Binners.

As Stevenage eased past struggling Crawley Town 3-1 at the Lamex on Friday evening, Earley said his goodbyes to his teammates at the final whistle, with Evans confirming the move.

Speaking after the match, Evans admitted Earley was going to be sold, saying: "He's going to a very, very top end League One club for a lot of money.

"I just said to him in front of the group, he arrived as a kid and leaves a man. He's been absolutely fantastic for us.

"I hope he plays Championship football next season because he has a job to do [for the club he joins]."

While Evans refused to name the club, Nub News understands that Plymouth - managed by former Stevenage midfielder Steven Schumacher - are the League One side that Earley will join.

Makes sense I suppose, 20 now, not knocking on door of first team and we need money so not surprised if a decent offer came in we took it. Assume and hope he has a big sell on and/or buyback clause though.

Have to view  "top side" and "big big fee" through the lens of the manager of a League Two club whose record transfer fee spent is £110k.

So I suspect the fee will be modest. 

But I really hope it is Plymouth, Derby, Sheffield Wed, Barnsley, or Bolton.... and not Ipswich.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

53 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Does that mean Plymouth are losing one of their other wing-backs? Maybe one who might be ready to step up to the Championship?

Very good point! 

Cometh the hour, cometh the Mumba.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'll say it now so that I can come back in 5 years and say "I told you so............."

We never should have sold him!!!!!🥵

Never say never, but I think this is too Earley.

• Haha 1

We sold him to a League One club who have sold him to another League One club. Its not like he went on a free and has been sold to Chelsea for £20M.

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

At the end of Steve Evans’s post match interview  he said that on loan Saxon Earley has been sold by us to a top, top League One side for a big fee. I hope it’s not the Binners.

It can’t be as he said a top, top League 1 side!

• Haha 2

This move is ridiculous.  Saxom Earley is a particular talent at such an early stage in his career.  I have seen him play this season on three occasions, he has shone amongst Stevenage cloggers.  He certainly looks better than any current LB's playing for City.  And will now be flogged off for peanuts, Div 1 clubs will not be paying millions perhaps 00's of thousands.

Is this our venerated  Sporting Director trying to yeild some cash for a player most people won't recognise as a potential jewel.  Love to see Mumba back Smith too early to send on loan this and last season, another potential jewel, perhaps let him go and watch him flourish elsewhere.

Our well run club is in the hands of idiots.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

We sold him to a League One club who have sold him to another League One club. Its not like he went on a free and has been sold to Chelsea for £20M.

We loaned him to a League Two club, and we are now selling him to a League One club. 

Assuming Steve Evans is telling the truth, that is. He's not exactly known for being straight.

46 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We loaned him to a League Two club, and we are now selling him to a League One club. 

Assuming Steve Evans is telling the truth, that is. He's not exactly known for being straight.

Oops. Thats right. I thought we had sold him to Stevenage.

He is highly rated by Evans and was concerned about Norwich calling him back.  And now lost him to a misguided sale engineered by Webber without seeing the player in the flesh.  A move to bite us in the future must include a significant sell on.  Saxon Earley will be a future top performer and we aren't blessed with too many of those.  

At the end of the day it all comes out of the same pot and we will have to generate funds to pay off Smith and pay compensation, if required, to the new manager's former club. If the offer for Saxon was there and it met our valuation then it's an understandable sale.

It is what it is and Saxon probably won't be the only one.

Now where's this rich investor?

Must be well off our first team sadly as.we.needwd an lb this season. Or assumingly no chance to recall early (sorry if this query was cleared up multiple times.like with Bali Mumbai)

There is also the fact that he is out of contract this summer, so it's the last chance of getting a fee. More (plus Mumba) here  https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/steven-schumacher-hoping-plymouth-argyle-7982951

As to who we buy/sell, I well recall the excess of whining in here when we signed Angus Gunn. What a flop he's turned out to be. 🤑

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

There is also the fact that he is out of contract this summer, so it's the last chance of getting a fee. More (plus Mumba) here  https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/steven-schumacher-hoping-plymouth-argyle-7982951

As to who we buy/sell, I well recall the excess of whining in here when we signed Angus Gunn. What a flop he's turned out to be. 🤑

If he's as talented as he sounds then being part of a promoted League one squad this season puts him in a great spot for regular championship football next season, in which case, as you're suggesting, we're getting something while we still can by the sounds of it.

I've yet to see many released/sold players at this level go on to better things. The very small number who do, prove that point - rather than make an argument against it. I expect the club has a sell on clause, and were aware that his chances would be limited at Carrow Road. Otherwise, I am sure fans all wish him well, espeicially when he heads back to East Anglia in a fornights time (binners away)

25 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I've yet to see many released/sold players at this level go on to better things. The very small number who do, prove that point - rather than make an argument against it. I expect the club has a sell on clause, and were aware that his chances would be limited at Carrow Road. Otherwise, I am sure fans all wish him well, espeicially when he heads back to East Anglia in a fornights time (binners away)

There's some sort of weird focus on the youngsters we sell that doesn't apply to the youngsters we keep. No clearer example could there be than the different attitudes afforded Carlton Morris (27) and Adam Idah (21).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some sort of weird focus on the youngsters we sell that doesn't apply to the youngsters we keep. No clearer example could there be than the different attitudes afforded Carlton Morris (27) and Adam Idah (21).

Don't forget Harry Toffolo (27)...

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Much could be said of Aarons who left Luton, then joined us. I would suggest we have had enormous success with our youth policy and signing 'unknowns;. A huge number of the latter have quickly fell away, but you only need one, or two.....Buendia, Maddison.

On 31/12/2022 at 10:28, TeemuVanBasten said:

Very good point! 

Cometh the hour, cometh the Mumba.

I'm still waiting for Mumba to get the number five shirt. If you can't create a ****ing chant off THAT..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/12/2022 at 12:51, pete said:

This move is ridiculous.  Saxom Earley is a particular talent at such an early stage in his career.  I have seen him play this season on three occasions, he has shone amongst Stevenage cloggers.  He certainly looks better than any current LB's playing for City.  And will now be flogged off for peanuts, Div 1 clubs will not be paying millions perhaps 00's of thousands.

Is this our venerated  Sporting Director trying to yeild some cash for a player most people won't recognise as a potential jewel.  Love to see Mumba back Smith too early to send on loan this and last season, another potential jewel, perhaps let him go and watch him flourish elsewhere.

Our well run club is in the hands of idiots.

Making your league debut in the fourth tier aged 19 years and nine months is hardly reflective of your high opinion. (Rowe, Ramsey, Gibbs are all younger than Earley)

And as Earley looks unlikely to be staying at Norwich past this summer then getting a fee for him now is the best option.

On 31/12/2022 at 14:36, pete said:

He is highly rated by Evans and was concerned about Norwich calling him back.  And now lost him to a misguided sale engineered by Webber without seeing the player in the flesh.  A move to bite us in the future must include a significant sell on.  Saxon Earley will be a future top performer and we aren't blessed with too many of those.  

Webber was at Dereham when Earley played in the pre-season match.

#details

I was disappointed to hear we were selling him when he has had such a successful loan but that is a bit lessened if he is coming towards the end of his contract and maybe doesn't want to stay with us.  He (and the club) might look at Sam, Dimi, and Bali all being ahead of him.

1 minute ago, Rottingdean canary said:

He (and the club) might look at Sam, Dimi, and Bali all being ahead of him.

Thing is, Sam is injured most of the time and I would be surprised if Dimi is here next season. I don’t know why we haven’t offered him a contract, unless we have and he’s turned it down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Webber was at Dereham when Earley played in the pre-season match.

#details

Webber regularly watches the U23s/U21s and U18s. He will have seen Earley play in the flesh many, many times.