1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

I guess it’s the easy and logical connection. People will know Webber appointed him at Huddersfield and there’s a lot of similarities with Farke. I think he could be successful here but I also think it smacks massively of the easy option for Webber and as others have said it leaves more question marks about his ability if he has to return to old manager appointments.

Yes, if it was a long-term appointment. But possibly not if it's a quick fix with a short contract until the end of the season with the hope that he can reproduce the magic he managed at Huddersfield.

I suppose he’s the best of the cheap options, paying off Smith  and co has already cost us an arm and a leg, doubt there’s much left.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

He was listed on Sky Bet at 18/1 last night. I looked after I read Michael Bailey's piece in the Athletic.

No I didn't🙄

That’s interesting as not on those ones I put on the he’s gone thread, but to be fair wasn’t looking for him after that, just seeing if the top ones suddenly moved. An hour ago you could have still got 3/1.

I doubt this will happen, though I would respect Webber if it did. 

The criticisms he would receive of unimaginative, easy, go-with-what-you-know would be obvious (not least to him), so it would show genuine belief. 

Wagner of course understands our (previous) playing philosophy and knows the demarcation lines of our sporting model.

More than anything it would show that Webber acknowledges that we must jump the hurdle in front of us now (being oppressive and superior), not a tomorrow premier league hurdle (being inferior and defensive). 

Wagner might well be a poor man’s Farke, though that is to my mind still far better than another mercenary journeyman manager. 

We are out on a limb here. We must stand for something. Have an interesting identity. Put on a good footballing show. It is who we are. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Hopefully this is just a case of one or two big bets creating a bit of a bandwagon. I wouldn't be enthused; did well at Huddersfield initially before the wheels came off and has struggled to repeat his success anywhere else, a bit like Paul Lambert here (barring the wheels coming off, obviously).

Conversely, his best management was working under Webber in the championship...

1 minute ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Wagner might well be a poor man’s Farke, though that is to my mind still far better than another mercenary journeyman manager. 

I would agree

Not a definite yes, not a definite no.

He'd have to hit the ground running, no time for fannying around. He and Webber could work well together, but for me he feels like a beginning of the season appointment not mid-season.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That’s interesting as not on those ones I put on the he’s gone thread, but to be fair wasn’t looking for him after that, just seeing if the top ones suddenly moved. An hour ago you could have still got 3/1.

it would probably have been worth a quid last night. But I didn't. It was the only suggestion from Michael Bailey so worth a look.

2 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I doubt this will happen, though I would respect Webber if it did. 

The criticisms he would receive of unimaginative, easy, go-with-what-you-know would be obvious (not least to him), so it would show genuine belief. 

Wagner of course understands our (previous) playing philosophy and knows the demarcation lines of our sporting model.

More than anything it would show that Webber acknowledges that we must jump the hurdle in front of us now (being oppressive and superior), not a tomorrow premier league hurdle (being inferior and defensive). 

We are out on a limb here. We must stand for something. Have an interesting identity. Put on a good footballing show. It is who we are. 

Parma 

I agree. The feel good factor needs to return to the club. I honestly think the fans would forgive no promotion if we just went back to being a good footballing spectacle. At least in the short term. With the ordeal of Smithball I feel like it’s akin to getting the flu when you’re due to have a big weekend away and really enjoying afterwards just having a nice walk around the block!

• Haha 1

I imagine the club has realised that it is very unlikely that we make the top two now whoever we appoint.

On the other hand, anyone half decent should be able to get us into the lottery of the play-offs. Even if we assume that Watford, WBA and Boro take three of the four slots, we only have to do better than Blackburn, QPR, Preston, Millwall to get that sixth slot.

Then it's all up for grabs. If we win the playoffs, we go up and we can throw the dice again. If we lose, we have to cut our cloth but we are still in a strongish position for next season and one last round of parachute payments.

So a cheap and quick appointment seems to make sense, especially if the contract is a short one.

Edited by canarybubbles

2 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I'd prefer Wagner over many of the names mentioned.

After the initial emotional response so do I.

Granted that says a lot about many of the previous names that have been mentioned.

Just now, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I'd prefer Wagner over many of the names mentioned.

Oh absolutely. I dread having Parker or Martin here.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That doesn't necessarily mean it would work second time around. 

Wagner isn't the worst name that has been linked, but I wouldn't put him near the top of my shortlist.

Of course not, I was just offering an alternative because the fact he failed at Schalke doesn't mean he would here. Just like Robins failing at S****horpe etc etc.

I agree he's not top of my list. I'm not really sure who is, mind.

I wouldn't have an issue with Wagner. Wouldn't be my number one, but infinitely better than a Parker or a Dyche or similar that we could easily end up with.

Clear identity, understands the model and more importantly the footballing philosophy of the club. Is available, probably would come here without much persuasion and worked well with Webber previously. Has the "experience" of the league that some people require. On paper, a very sensible option that would tick most of the boxes. Would be a massive upgrade on Smith for sure.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

With Stefanie Powers as assistant coach? When they played opposition teams it was murder....

wagner.jpg

Aren't they lovely? It made me think of Stuart and Zoe and warmed the cockles of my heart.

Being appointed to Norwich City is an appointment from heaven. Guaranteed at least 18 months or so employment,at a good salary, fail at the job and get kicked out with a golden handshake. Nice if you can get it. There must be dozens if not hundreds of pundits on this message board who could do the job and who knows one off them might succeed and City would be straight back in the Premiership (or maybe not).😁

Edited by beanbag

The more I think about it, the more more I can see this happening.  No compensation to pay, available now and the obvious Webber connection l. Certainly seems like an appointment that wouldn’t surprise many 

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unless he is on Big Keith Scott's list of approved candidates it surely is a non starter ?

He’s just stated that he disapproves, I would suggest that means he has a chance as he slates all those likely candidates, so the I told you ‘ thread can start further down the road.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course not, I was just offering an alternative because the fact he failed at Schalke doesn't mean he would here. Just like Robins failing at S****horpe etc etc.

I agree he's not top of my list. I'm not really sure who is, mind.

But the outlier on his CV is that Huddersfield is the only senior role in which he has succeeded, as opposed to Schalke being the only place he failed. And even though Robins wouldn't be my first choice either, his failures were a long while ago and he has done very well since.

I'd rather go for someone who has a more proven track record or a young coach on the up, rather than someone who is basically living off one successful job five years ago. 

But, saying that, his achievements at Huddersfield were very good, so I'd probably rank him somewhere in the middle of the names being thrown about.

8 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

The more I think about it, the more more I can see this happening.  No compensation to pay, available now and the obvious Webber connection l. Certainly seems like an appointment that wouldn’t surprise many 

Also, depending on how much we believe, the club are 100% focused on promotion this season. We have three home games coming up. Wagner being out of work could be a quick appointment. 9 potential points whereby surely our chances improve the sooner we get someone in....

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Does anyone have any idea why the odds have suddenly tumbled?

Because people are putting lots of money on it

42 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Of course it is just money being placed at the moment, but the bookmakers didn’t even have him listed this morning.

This morning's Times named him this morning (and nobody else) as under consideration.

I would certainly prefer him to, most of the other names that are supposed to be on our list. Did a great job at Huddersfield and would inject some passion. I'd be happy.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Also, depending on how much we believe, the club are 100% focused on promotion this season. We have three home games coming up. Wagner being out of work could be a quick appointment. 9 potential points whereby surely our chances improve the sooner we get someone in....

Another advantage of Wagner is that he's not likely to be divisive among the fans in the way that Parker or Martin might be. I think everyone could get behind him for a while. OK, some will argue that this is just Webber taking the easy route because he doesn't care any more, but if he combined this appointment with an announcement that he is intending to leave at the end of the season that might take a lot of the sting out of it.

And because of his failure at Schalke, Wagner is not in a strong position to push for a long-term contract. He might be willing to take quite a short one, so the risk to our club would be smaller.

Just speculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

I wouldn’t be against Wagner, but it would leave me questioning Webber.

Hiring Wagner would just look like he had adopted an easy, no effort required recruitment process which would make me question further,  his commitment to us and how much he’s really bothered about succeeding with us. 

Hear hear...