Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Russel Martin in line

I think a young exciting manager would get my vote, Steven Schumacher or someone similar, British or foreign I don't mind who really.

Definitely the wrong move to go for Russ

I tend to agree with Charlie Wyett latest tweet that it will be someone out of work to avoid compensation given it’s probably took quite a bit to settle with Dean Smith. 

Hassenhuttl for me but the likes of Gerrard, Dyche and Wilder will be in the mix I am sure 

Please not RM, presumably NA is going to take over as interim? Let’s take our time and get the right person, if NA keeps the ship afloat and we start getting back towards top two then no need to make another decision in haste

Edited by Van wink
Just read it’s not Adams so that was a waste of a post
  • Like 1

Would Rus even want it? Seem to remember he was treated pretty badly by the fans towards the end of his playing days. I think it would be better for him to at least see out the season at Swansea.

Also will the club want to have to pay compensation to an in work manager or go for available one?

Webber knows he has to get this appointment right or he'll be next.

Either he has another Farke like name up his sleeve or he'll take a punt on a Parker or Dyche type appointment.

I've got a horrible feeling it might be Martin O'Neill, unfinished business and all that.

• Haha 1

I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think we can do better than an up and coming manager already managing at championship level.

He also wouldn't be the cheapest since he's in a job.

It would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment if it is Martin. The obsession with ex-players on here is madness. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

It would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment if it is Martin. The obsession with ex-players on here is madness. 

You might be right, I am not sure it is his explayerness which appeals to me, when I look through the championship he is the one which matches our ‘young and upcoming’ measure.  I just do not know enough about the other potential options in league 1 / league 2 to comment.

Hopefully our director of football has the various options covered.

I am expecting a fairly experienced South American.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I agree that there's an obsession with ex-players but Martin's managerial career does seem to be trending upwards, with an attractive style of play to boot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

What about having a chat with McKenna from down that village?? 😅

Would be great for comedy value if nothing else

We need someone with a dominant personality. The players need a kick up their collective posteriors - not in a bad way, but they look bewildered to me, needing some leadership. Perhaps we could dig Cough up & clone his DNA ...

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:
4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

What about having a chat with McKenna from down that village?? 😅

That would be a really good option.

42 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Knows the club ,ambitious manager.Could do worse

Knows the club so well, and was Delia’s blue eyed boy. He will be back.

His record isn't stellar, but his philosophy is very similar to Farke's. I could see it working out, if he's given time by the fans (admittedly, that's a big if). I doubt he'd secure promotion this season, but I don't think any manager could with this group of players. The midfield quality just isn't there. 

Whoever ends up in the hot seat, there are some fundamental issues with recruitment and strategy that really need to be resolved in order for the club to succeed. What we really need is a new director of football. 

McKenna won't come here, pretty much guaranteed promotion and part of a plan at scumland. We're a comparative shambles.

No to Martin. I hate that tippy tappy nonsense at Swansea.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

McKenna won't come here, pretty much guaranteed promotion and part of a plan at scumland. We're a comparative shambles.

The problem with not playing out from the back in the premiership is that it is really tricky to get the ball any other way, and when it is done well it is incredible to watch.  Did you see Brighton against Southampton?  Southampton needed a separate ball to make a game of it.

The premier league is filled with amazing athletes, and all the players are technically really good.  I struggle to see how any club can make it in that league without players having almost everything, and they are expensive.

Edited by Newtopia

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Promotion to the champ or to the prem?

Plus he would not even have to move caravan site.

He would have to be pretty unambitious to not consider it.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That tippy tappy nonsense at Swansea is what won us 2 titles at this level.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think we can do better than an up and coming manager already managing at championship level.

It’s not a question of “doing better than” it’s about getting the right fit for the job, and Russel isn’t it IMO. Add in the past “highly respected” player factor and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why do you think he would be any better than your man Smith?

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

It’s not a question of “doing better than” it’s about getting the right fit for the job, and Russel isn’t it IMO. Add in the past “highly respected” player factor and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why do you think he would be any better than your man Smith?

My man Smith?

Martin shouldn't be ignored just because he played for us, if that's what you're suggesting?

20 minutes ago, repman said:

I agree that there's an obsession with ex-players but Martin's managerial career does seem to be trending upwards, with an attractive style of play to boot. 

It’s an interesting one - you wonder if he’d be on any lists without our obvious link, but he did ok in his role at MK Dons and has since done pretty well at Swansea who also play decent football.