Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Please Not Russell Martin

If Smith leaves this would be worst appointment ever. A lot of fans hated him as a player. Then he took a 3 year contract (not his fault) when was clearly ready to retire. IMO this will just continue the downward spiral, similar to appointing Bryan Gunn & Neil Adams.

“A lot of fans hated him as a player” 

?!?!? Bizarre statement. 

A lot of us questioned his ‘reinvention’ as a centre-back as he became a clear weak link in that role; but to say he was ‘hated’ is ridiculous. 

He always gave his all and was/is a good bloke. 

But I do agree that now’s not the time for him here. 

Edited by mrdi
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, mrdi said:

“A lot of fans hated him as a player” 

?!?!? Bizarre statement. 

A lot of us questioned his ‘reinvention’ as a centre-back as he was became a clear a weak link in that role; but to say he was ‘hated’ is ridiculous. 

He always gave his all and was/is a good bloke. 

The relationship between him and some fans did get toxic towards the end of his time here, you must remember that?

Otherthan Kompany or Heckingbottom, I cannot think of a Championship manager I would want here, although Corberan and Carrick would be good.

No thanks to Martin or Robins.

I'm personally undecided about Martin.

However, I think it would be a controversial decision and therefore would not do much to bring the fans back together, so IMO someone with no Norwich connections at all might be better (as long as it's not Lampard).

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

The relationship between him and some fans did get toxic towards the end of his time here, you must remember that?

I don’t remember it being particularly ‘toxic’ but I do remember it being a sad end to his time here when his contract was cancelled. I don’t remember the ins and outs of it tbh, but I can’t imagine that ‘Russ & Wes’ match being put on had it been truly acrimonious. 

People just scape goated the bloke.

He was a loyal servant and too notch right back, yea project centre back was a bad idea but you have to look at who the manager was. It certainly was not one of our purple periods.

To say he was hated is a bit much.

Hes young, clearly competent and knows and understands the club and fans.

The later being the most important given the last year. Imho we need someone who gets it rather than a punt, farke really was 1 in million in regard to his buy in. We won't see similar class around here for another generation I am afraid.

I don't get this at all. Conflating the end of his career as a player with his ability as a manager is completely flawed.

Did none of you watch our recent game against Swansea? They played some really lovely football but the thing which really stood out was their creativity and inventiveness. They had some fantastic set-piece routines and caused us major problems. They just lacked a bit of quality where it counts. Put Pukki in their team and they'd be right up there.

Martin is highly intelligent and has a clear philosophy about how football should be played - in my opinion quite a contrast with our current head coach. He'd be a massive step up to what we've seen over the last 14 months.

Remember we're (hopefully very soon) appointing a coach, not our favourite player from years gone by. 

• Like 6

Martin was yesteryear’s Kenny. A player who became bang average but was inexplicably undroppable, who was given an extended contract he didn’t deserve but who always tried hard and pleased the board 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

People just scape goated the bloke.

He was a loyal servant and too notch right back, yea project centre back was a bad idea but you have to look at who the manager was. It certainly was not one of our purple periods.

To say he was hated is a bit much.

Hes young, clearly competent and knows and understands the club and fans.

The later being the most important given the last year. Imho we need someone who gets it rather than a punt, farke really was 1 in million in regard to his buy in. We won't see similar class around here for another generation I am afraid.

I'm afraid you might be right. Unfortunately there seems to be a bandwagon developing which is framed against any 'British' manager in favour of 'someone' (in fact almost 'anyone') from Europe! The notion that such an appointment would instantly see a return to the golden era of Fake is absurd but something that some on here seem to be falling for! 

Look at the great job Carrick is doing at Boro. He was not hauled from the .........'conveyor belt of failed managers'. Surely there must be another 'Carrick' out there who has done his badges, works as part of the backroom staff at a PL club (probably) who would jump at the chance to come here? Failing that, give it to Scott Parker. Has taken Fulham and Bournemouth to promotions and would play an expansive style that Yellows seem to crave.   

• Thanks 1

Interesting reading peoples view.  For me, if you ignore the historical connection he would be absolutely perfect, clear approach, balancing style with development and results.  

The surprising part is why people think we are a better option for him than Swansea.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

I don't get this at all. Conflating the end of his career as a player with his ability as a manager is completely flawed.

Did none of you watch our recent game against Swansea? They played some really lovely football but the thing which really stood out was their creativity and inventiveness. They had some fantastic set-piece routines and caused us major problems. They just lacked a bit of quality where it counts. Put Pukki in their team and they'd be right up there.

Martin is highly intelligent and has a clear philosophy about how football should be played - in my opinion quite a contrast with our current head coach. He'd be a massive step up to what we've seen over the last 14 months.

Remember we're (hopefully very soon) appointing a coach, not our favourite player from years gone by. 

Nail on head big time. I've repeatedly said he will NOT return here anytime soon but there are real numpties on here who haven't got a clue about his managerial abilities but simply bang on about him being 'rubbish at center half'!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Lots of good sense here ... I just worry about how open and leaky Swansea are. We've been there many times before - easy on the eye offensively but give away too many soft chances 

• Like 1

I'd be happy with Martin, but there are others I'd prefer. Mark Robins for one, though I think we missed the boat with him, he'd probably prefer Coventry to us right now. Referred to as the King by his adoring fans there. Pretty sad state of affairs that we're probably unable to entice the Coventry manager to us.

Bellamy would be my next preference, proper roll of the dice for sure, but it'd make being a fan fun again.

I've said before that he'd be near (or possibly at) the top of my list, but my biggest doubt has always been that a lot of fans feel the way several in this thread do. 

He should be viewed as a club legend here. Joined us in League One, two promotions, was a very good player in the Premier League first time round, and captained us to promotion in the Playoffs. 

However, his final couple of years weren't great, even though he always gave 100% despite being played out of position. But he became a scapegoat, in the same way McLean is now.

I'm sure that in time, as the years pass, he will be seen as a club legend and rightly so, but right now it could be a bit too soon as he would be given less time than any other coach, I fear.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've said before that he'd be near (or possibly at) the top of my list, but my biggest doubt has always been that a lot of fans feel the way several in this thread do. 

He should be viewed as a club legend here. Joined us in League One, two promotions, was a very good player in the Premier League first time round, and captained us to promotion in the Playoffs. 

However, his final couple of years weren't great, even though he always gave 100% despite being played out of position. But he became a scapegoat, in the same way McLean is now.

I'm sure that in time, as the years pass, he will be seen as a club legend and rightly so, but right now it could be a bit too soon as he would be given less time than any other coach, I fear.

Yes, it's a pretty genuine concern. I remember towards the end when Martin was blamed for absolutely everything - he was criticised for doing post-match interviews even though he was captain etc..

i Do not want Martin because i think we can get someone better 

if you were a multi million pound business you do not give the top job to someone who you know and worked with in the past 

you give it to the best you can get 

Webber's job is to look for the next best up and coming manager / head coach or experienced  manager in world football who is willing to come here ,

he should if he has done his job right have  managers / head coaches on a short list ,

instead i bet he has a list of mountaineering equipment he and his missus will be buying in the sales ! 

Russell Martin is a an incredibly bright individual and a deep thinker and as has been said in a previous post Swansea are playing some decent possession based football and in my opinion probably overachieving given their squad of players.  However, they do have a tendency to concede early but, in their last 3 draws they went behind one nil, two nil and three nil and still came away with a point (stating the obvious I know).  This I believe tells us a great deal about the man tactically and a great deal about the team ethos he has built.  Is he still learning, well who isn’t, but I get the point, but one thing I do know he is a very fast learner.

If Russell Martin were to be appointed I believe it would take time, would he keep us in the play-offs, who knows and it may take an extra season or two to position/prepare us as a team to potentially stay in the Prem,  Does the fan base have the patience, I would hope so but I do have my doubts.  For what it is worth I believe Mr Martin has a qualification in football club management besides his coaching badges, obviously no experience in club management as yet, but a very handy string to his bow.

I for one would be happy if he was appointed.

• Like 3

I had a look at the Swansea fans forum. There’s a thread on there about him being linked with us now DS has gone.

The responses worry me. Apparently they haven’t won a game in 7 and the general consensus is they hope we take him off their hands and save them paying him compo. They’d drive him to Norwich themselves etc…

One guy said our board should be applauded for listening to fans and sacking DS and wished theirs would do the same and sack Russ.

Yeah, but appointing Russ is not like LiVARpool appointing Gerrard, or Chelsea appointing Frank  -  so I’d give Russ a go if we could guarantee we are not relegation material…. I’d wait a season for that!

Anthony Barry is popping up fairly high in the early odds. Supposedly was close to taking the Huddersfield job but they didn't want to accept his being absent whilst at the world cup with Belgium. By all accounts 'one of the best English coaches'.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Anthony Barry is popping up fairly high in the early odds. Supposedly was close to taking the Huddersfield job but they didn't want to accept his being absent whilst at the world cup with Belgium. By all accounts 'one of the best English coaches'.

He feels a bit like Paul Clements to me…..  Equally no objection at all.

No thanks. As a Club we need to cut the number of senior managers employed and do not have the ability to make strategic decisions.

Carrying on with a Caretaker for a while is not a bad idea in principle, remember Allan Irvine, albeit that Weaver looks like a Webber lackey. Allan Russell maybe better as at least shows some evidence of career progression. As for permanent appointment, Coventry still have problems so Mark Robins maybe still a possibility.