Feedthewolf

New signing from Brazil?

According to this tweet, we've signed Thalisson Gabriel from our feeder club Coritiba. A 20-year-old centre back, has only started one match for them. Fee of around 4m Brazilian real, which is around £650,000.

Would make sense, I guess, especially if we're looking to switch to three at the back – with only Gibson, Hanley and Omo having significant first-team experience.

Lucas, our Brazilian Canary friend, has been asking about him on Twitter, and one reply said: "Good defender, here at Coritiba he had few opportunities in the professional ranks (also due to his young age and slight physique), but he played a lot of youth football. If he eats protein and pumps some iron, he has everything to become a defender at the level that English football demands."

"Good defender, tall and fast," said another. Another said that he thought the transfer fee was too low.

In case anyone puts any stock in that kind of thing, here's his FM23 profile.

EDIT: he was one of the players who came on trial in the summer, so we've obviously been keeping tabs on him and think he has enough potential to warrant a permanent move.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't see any way he'll get a work permit 

The rules are different if you're under 21 but even so I can't see how he'll get enough points. He's presumably for the U23s anyway. I don't know if there are different rules if he's just registered as a youth player and not registered as a full professional?

Hopefully the club knows the roolz 

1 minute ago, Chichcan said:

I can't see any way he'll get a work permit 

The rules are different if you're under 21 but even so I can't see how he'll get enough points. He's presumably for the U23s anyway. I don't know if there are different rules if he's just registered as a youth player and not registered as a full professional?

Hopefully the club knows the roolz 

We can sign him without a work permit and then loan him back to Brazil... in the hope that at some stage later we'll be able to get one.

Isn't there also the possibility of loaning him out to countries with more lax rules on nationality, such as the Dutch league? Might make it easier to keep an eye on his development if he's just a short KLM-to-Schiphol hop away... 😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Get him started against Luton can't do any worse than Gibson 😉

leave Gibson out, can't do any worse that when he is in!!!!

4 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

leave Gibson out, can't do any worse that when he is in!!!!

Such a weird one with Gibson, isn't it. He was called up to the England squad while he was at Middlesbrough, then Burnley paid £15m for him and it was an absolute disaster there. He doesn't seem to have ever fully recovered his form or confidence since. Still only 29, but looks a million miles from being the excellent PL defender he once was.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Such a weird one with Gibson, isn't it. He was called up to the England squad while he was at Middlesbrough, then Burnley paid £15m for him and it was an absolute disaster there. He doesn't seem to have ever fully recovered his form or confidence since. Still only 29, but looks a million miles from being the excellent PL defender he once was.

I always thought we pulled off a hell of a coup when we first got Gibson given Burnley signed him for 15 million and he had been in almost every level of the England set up too, only to now think that maybe there is a reason Burnley only played him once and prehaps they saw something negative in him or about him that we are only now starting to spot

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Gibson looked great in lockdown but not so good since. Some players are better in training than in games. Football behind closed doors is a different game. Some people don't like me saying that but it's what I believe. The current bad atmosphere probably has a greater affect on Gibson.

• Like 1

Can’t do much for his confidence when he gets abuse from the 3 foghorns just behind me. 

Its either Gibson, the ref or the linesman who they start on as the beer takes effect 

Middle-aged yobs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Lucas, our Brazilian Canary friend, has been asking about him on Twitter, and one reply said: "If he eats protein and pumps some iron, he has everything to become a defender at the level that English football demands."

Just what we need, a slightly built centre-half with no experience of Championship football. My faith in Smith and Weber is restored – we'll soon be racing back up into the top two with news like this.

Suppose this can be filed under one for the future but not particularly exciting (especially the slightly built decription.. the last thing this squad needs!).

Gibson is a strange one, I know he gets a lot of abuse but I do feel that there is a good player in there (and his history also suggests that).

He is a good age for a CB (especially as pace has never been his most important asset) and seems a decent character.

His confidence seems to be shot (and this is one example where I can see why the crowd reaction, whilst understandable, is no help).

I may get hammered for this but I'd like to see Smith sticking with him for a bit and show him some commitment.... I think he could be a player of a higher quality and better captain material than Hanley

Edited by rock bus

36 minutes ago, Grando said:

Just what we need, a slightly built centre-half with no experience of Championship football. My faith in Smith and Weber is restored – we'll soon be racing back up into the top two with news like this.

Thank you for this extensive and insightful scouting report.

Ben Gibson is the worst centre back in the championship. Never thought I'd see a more calamitous centre back pairing than Martin/Bassong.

But Gibson/Hanley are sure giving them a run for their money.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Isn't there also the possibility of loaning him out to countries with more lax rules on nationality, such as the Dutch league? Might make it easier to keep an eye on his development if he's just a short KLM-to-Schiphol hop away... 😉

I think we did something similar with Seb Soto didn't we? 

Just now, Top corner said:

I think we did something similar with Seb Soto didn't we? 

Yep, he went to Porto.

He sounds rather lightweight. Wish that we bought a few players with experience of this league. But what do I know…. Webber has a brilliant recent track record

1 hour ago, Grando said:

That's what I was thinking. And if we have to loan him back due to the rules, that's another £650k added to £18m for Tzolis & rashica that aren't playing for us. We're certainly benefiting from this system

No one we can't afford to sign anyone to actually play for us 🤣

Seriouslu I was hoping we'd sign a solid defender who could immediately go into our 1st eleven and strengthen us

1 hour ago, daly said:

Can’t do much for his confidence when he gets abuse from the 3 foghorns just behind me. 

Its either Gibson, the ref or the linesman who they start on as the beer takes effect 

Middle-aged yobs

You don't sit near me in Block K Row W do you?!! Similar stupid Gibson hater behind me. Last Saturday it was..........'don't give it to him for Christ's sake, he''ll only go and f----ing lose it'.

I totally agree that Gibson has had a tough time last season when he made some gaffs and there have been one or two this season but he is a top professional who has never had anything but good things to say of our club and fans. He speaks more sense in interviews than the rest of the Tools put together!   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep, he went to Porto.

The Champions League side. Not exactly, he went on loan tio their B team from us then the same to Livingstone in Scotland. Now no longer our player he joined an Austrian top division side at the start of this season. Yet to make a single appearance for them.

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Champions League side. Not exactly, he went on loan tio their B team from us then the same to Livingstone in Scotland. Now no longer our player he joined an Austrian top division side at the start of this season. Yet to make a single appearance for them.

Yes, that's all accurate. I wasn't trying to be disingenuous, I know he was a failure... was just showing that Portugal is another league where one can loan out non-EU players without work permits.

2 hours ago, Grando said:

Preparing to remain in the Championship.This ,along with giving pointy man a new contract tells you all need to know. In the chump Delia gets treated like a queen at other clubs. In the big boys league no one cares ,or knows, who she is.

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, that's all accurate. I wasn't trying to be disingenuous, I know he was a failure... was just showing that Portugal is another league where one can loan out non-EU players without work permits.

I guess the overall equation relates to how many times we have to cast the fishing rod before extracting a diamond.

It didn't seem to take much residence in Portugal before Soto was able to come back to the UK. In fact given his route I wonder if he has a passion for mountain climbing?