Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Where are the optimists now?

Sorry, but we pesimists have been right all the time! Don''t get me wrong, of course I''d rather see us thrashing them, but come on, any-one who really thought that the play-offs were still within reaching distance needs returning to the mad house immediatly! By mad house, I obviously mean the Skipper household, as he can''t understand why we don''t like Worthy!

OTBC

Don''t worry because I''m sure Dicky and Load of Squit will be able to defend this latest performance.  Not for the first time this season the commentators refer to us as being outplayed and outfought.  4- 0 as we speak, Norwich are being embarrassed.

[quote user="silver fox"]Don''t worry because I''m sure Dicky and Load of Squit will be able to defend this latest performance.  Not for the first time this season the commentators refer to us as being outplayed and outfought.  4- 0 as we speak, Norwich are being embarrassed.[/quote]

Just got back from game - some of us actually did go to watch it rather than spend their afternoons on their computers having a go at the club.

We were disgraceful today - with the exception of The Doc and Flemmo, we were the worst I have ever seen.  I am gutted beyond belief.  The vast majority of the players did not even try - you should be bloody ashamed of yourselves.

As to the perennial question, Worthy Out?  To swap him for who?  An unproven manager?  No thanks.  A proven manager?  Sorry, but they would not come to Norwich.  My honest opinion is to write off the season as a bad one, Prem hangover as we have seen with many teams and try and build for next year.  Chop the dead wood, give the young ''uns a chance for rest of season and get some confidence back. 

The best thing we can do as fans is get behind our club.  I for one always will - if you choose not to, are you a lesser fan?  I think so, but again that is my opinion.

As for all fans being "Worthy Outers",  several chants were started today and they attracted about 2% of the supporters joining in.  I know that many fans of the Worthy Out persuasion would not join in and show us up (rightly so),  but I do believe that most people are not vehement Worthy Outers. 

Total optimist, I know, but after today, things can only get better.

Dicky I am one of those who wants to see Worthy leave because I genuinely believe he has lost the respect of the team, and only knows one way to play.  You are living in a dream world if you think he will play the youngsters, just look at how many of them were on the bench today - none. 

If you want to know the feelings towards Worthy staying then come and sit in area B in the upper Barclay and you might be surprised how vehement these supporters are.  I am talking about ordinary supporters who have been going for years and they are so disillusioned with the way Worthy is running things.  We don''t join in with the chants because they don''t really achieve a great deal, but believe you me we all want to see a change in management.

Where are these Worthy is a messiah comments coming from"!!!

Dicky mate, he is no better manager than Gary Megson, that is not saying he is a bad manager but just limited, he values hard work over skill, he is an incredibly defensive manager, his record in away fixtures is abysmal, our cup runs have been terrible.  His tactics are often VERY poor.  The team shows no motivation all to often.  He has proven himself capable of getting average players playing but has failed with a better squad.  he has failed to bring youth through.

Yes he has got us promoted, well done nigel!! But who else has got a promotion behind them??

Mick Mccarthey, Alan Pardew, Neil Warnock soon, Steve Coppell, Paul Jewell, Big Fat Joe, George Burley, Dave Jones, Mickey Adams to name a few. Most of whom I would rate as a better manager than Nigel (bar Mccarthy). 

Worthy is NO messiah, there are plenty of potential managerial targets out their - Mike Newell being the ideal target for me.  he is young hungry, his teams play passing football.  he has a promotion from the first division and his team is holding its own in this division.  he would jump at the chance to manage in a 25,000 attendance stadium with a quality team. I would also take Preston''s manager if we could entice him. The passing attacking football Preston played was light years ahead of anbything seen at carrow road recently.

Of course you can never be sure with a managerial change but the status Quo is far more frightening than any change with our manager looking totally clueless at the moment, money wasted.

Hoof it to Erny!!  a disgrace

I admire your resolve Dicky. But you have to admit that these problems were apparant last season and have translated to this season as well. Some of the decisions made this season are completely baffling by both board and manager and all we get is spin words like ''infinite patience'' and ''accute concern'' in return. There are plenty of proven managers who would take the job. Even in the championship there are managers who do a far better job than worthy considering their resources (Billy Davies, Steve Coterill, Mike Newell). After all our support base and infastructure is far better than some premiership clubs. The potential for bigger things is there, it just needs someone to push it on from bottom to top.

What I mean by that is having youth players coming through, buying players with potential to play at the highest level. Not spending transfer cash on loans when you have players fit to play in the problem positions.

As for people staying at home in front of their computers, well if you go then fair play but people don''t want to fork out £30 a ticket to sit in an old stand, spend £15-20 to get down there and the extras when they have a 95% guarantee that the performance will be lame. I done it last season and all I got in return was a decent comeback at Newcastle, the majority of other away performances consisted of kamikaze defending and giving world class players all the time in the world as we tried to play a passing game against superior teams.

DiGood to see a (relatively!) reasonable reply from you.  I''m glad you came away from the game feeling this way - that''s how most of us have been feeling for the majority of the season.The reason that we''re in this mess is down to the players, yes - but when you start to blame the players you then have to look at WHY they''re playing so badly - which leads you back to the management & coaching staff.   When you start looking at the coaching team you have to look at why they''re doing such a bad job - which ultimately leads back to the board.Let''s be realistic about this.   Last season in the Premiership we failed to win away.   The team had every chance to stay in the Premiership but between them, they managed to throw that chance away in the most abject surrender I''ve ever seen.   Since then, they have failed completely to even compete in a pretty average division - Premiership hangover or not, they should be in a far better position than they are at the moment.    Now we can blame the players as much as we like but ultimately, there is one person who is responsible for training and motivating them to achieve the results that we want.  Nigel Worthington.You say that we should write off the season as a bad one and give some of the youngsters a chance...The youngsters should already be playing - instead of persisting with distinctily average performances by distinctly average players - Hughes & Etuhu - the younger players should have been given a chance in order to motivate the team to perform - if you knew that there was a chance you''d be playing in the reserves next week because you were playing badly wouldn''t you make some effort?You''re right about the manager situation - at this point, who in their right mind would want to come to Norwich.   If this situation had been sorted in November we might have attracted some decent candidates, but on this form, who wants to join a sinking ship...?   That is the fault of the board who are going to have to start accepting some responsibility for the debacle that is this season.Loyal support - of course I am - I''m sure that I''ve got better things to be doing than attempting to type up my ramblings at 8.30am on a Sunday morning - but hey, I love this club and even though I can''t make it to the games, it''s in my blood.   It makes me seethe to see what''s happening and the time is fast approaching where it needs to be sorted or we''re just storing up even more trouble.

Dicky

Far play to you for going to Palace.  For some of us the prospect of spending £30 x 3/4 for a family is a journey to far! Even with half price tickets.  I talked to a seasoned away fan after he got back from the game.  He more or less agreed with what you have summarised here (about the players and the game). However he is (perhaps to be fair to you) a confirmed Worthy Outer who hasn''t missed a game for years, home and away! 

Were the players really not trying, yet they were trying against Hull, Derby and Brighton?  How come they switched off yesterday, but were full of fight and quality against the sides we have recently met?  Was the poor performance merely down to the players or just a reality check of how far we have sunk this season? 

As for not changing the manager because we can''t gamble with someone unproven, well just how proven was Worthington (Blackpool was hardly a success).  What about a manager who already is proving it in this league like Mike Newell?  What about someone like Phil Parkinson of Colchester?  What about asking someone with good coaching experience such as Mark Bowen?  As for not being able to attract someone who has already worked at this level and above, I think you would be surprised with just how many names we would attract if the position were advertised.  Think about it.  A large fanbase, excellent training facilities, a board who give a manager more than enough chances!  A club with prospects if the right management team were installed.  It''s all going downhill now because we are sticking with three men who have no idea what they are doing and are completely and utterly out of their depth, added to that a board who just cannot see what is happening on the pitch.

As for the Worthy Out chants, you didn''t hear that many, okay but some other fans who also went claimed they heard more than a few, or your measured 2%.  I do agree with you that many fans don''t want to join in with booing/chants during the game, but to say most people don''t want him out - well only time will tell.  All that is certain is many more performances (or lack of them) like yesterday and those sitting on the fence, can''t make their mind up or just plain fed up. 

It''s strange that during the course of the season, most fervent supporters of Worthington have decided at various points that enough is enough.  You seem content to write the season off as a premiership hangover.  Fine, but are Palace suffering a major headache.  Doesn''t seem so?  Why have they been able to achieve more than us?  Remember not all the squad were playing for us in the Prem last season.  What''s their excuse?

Finally, things will only get better when the board wake up and realise what''s going on.  We are not achieving to our potential.  I am convinced some of our players could achieve so much more given a better coach and man manager.  Why is McVeigh constantly sidelined?  Or criticised for being a creative player, and now Huckerby.....

Worthington is running out of excuses.  He''s been hiding behind the injury thing for long enough.  He can''t do that one now.  So what is wrong?  Time for the board to start asking some serious questions of the coaching staff and answering the fans. 

Hi Dicky

Appreciate the honest post but still disagree with your conclusions.

You say yourself that most of the players werent trying and I agree with you that this reflects poorly on them, but surely it also indicates, as was much discussed earlier in the season, that they have lost faith in Worthington or dont agree with/understand his tactics and selections. Despite the spin we keep seeing in the media it has seemed pretty obvious for a while now that as a group they are not ''playing'' for the manager. Rightly or wrongly when clubs reach this stage the practical solution is to change the manager rather than most of the playing squad.

You suggest that no proven manager would come to Norwich. IMO this is nonsense. We are an extremely well run club, where the board has provided substantial support, moral and financial, to the manager. We have excellent facilities, great support and still the guts of a good squad. Why wouldnt a manager, other than the 20 already in the Premiership and perhaps 4 who believe they''ll go up this year, come here. Lets keep Worthington if we think he''s the best man for the job but the notion we should keep him because we couldnt get anybody else half decent is pretty ludicrous.

Finally you say lets cut out the dead wood and give youngsters a chance for the rest of the season. Couldnt agree more but one of the (many) reasons why I want to see the back of Worthington is his almost total refusal to give our youngsters a decent try. Our season is over now so he could do it but he''s had many, many opportunities already and throughout his time here he has consistently preferred to play moderate but experienced players rather than give youngsters a chance.

For me the sensible strategy would be to ditch him now and give the new manager, whoever it is, at least half a dozen games to assess the squad before the summer.

[quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="silver fox"]Don''t worry because I''m sure Dicky and Load of Squit will be able to defend this latest performance.  Not for the first time this season the commentators refer to us as being outplayed and outfought.  4- 0 as we speak, Norwich are being embarrassed.[/quote]

Just got back from game - some of us actually did go to watch it rather than spend their afternoons on their computers having a go at the club.

We were disgraceful today - with the exception of The Doc and Flemmo, we were the worst I have ever seen.  I am gutted beyond belief.  The vast majority of the players did not even try - you should be bloody ashamed of yourselves.

As to the perennial question, Worthy Out?  To swap him for who?  An unproven manager?  No thanks.  A proven manager?  Sorry, but they would not come to Norwich.  My honest opinion is to write off the season as a bad one, Prem hangover as we have seen with many teams and try and build for next year.  Chop the dead wood, give the young ''uns a chance for rest of season and get some confidence back. 

The best thing we can do as fans is get behind our club.  I for one always will - if you choose not to, are you a lesser fan?  I think so, but again that is my opinion.

As for all fans being "Worthy Outers",  several chants were started today and they attracted about 2% of the supporters joining in.  I know that many fans of the Worthy Out persuasion would not join in and show us up (rightly so),  but I do believe that most people are not vehement Worthy Outers. 

[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from, but the players were brought by Nigel. Nigel wont play the younguns, because he doesnt want to say '' i was wrong'' about his signings.

We would be able to attract a good manager. Phil Parkinson, mike newell and many others are proven and would walk too norwich to get that job. They would relish having 25,000 fans every week, a big transfer budget and the chance to chop and change a squad, and turn norwich back too a force again.

And what would you do next christmas if we were marrooned in the bottom half of the table, the play offs a distant and dream and worthy has wasted more money (the ashton cash), Would you then want him out?, Unfortunately then we would find it a bit harder to get a good replacement, the 2 names mentioned above may be doing well in our league and we would have no cash too spend.

And finally, your comment about, ''some of us did go, rather than have a go on the computer''. Have you thought about people who cant get there, cant afford it, have other commitments or perhaps some realism that we would get stuffed and £30 too have the privalege is a bit too much.

So

WE WANT WORTHY OUT SAY WE WANT WORTHY OUT

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]its quite obvious for all to see, the players have no confidence.  these are seasoned, decent pro''s.  when it gets this bad, only a new manager coming in with a fresh perpsective can boost the players now imo - this is a fact of life.  hasn''t lost the dressing room? the players aren''t performing like worthy has won the dressing room.  its time for a new broom. 

2% ???????
i was there and alot more than 2% of the fans joined in the worthy out chants including myself, You know why? because many KTF''s such as yourself have become tired of the poor performances both on and off the pitch.
Norwich are a big club in the championship, with great potential. I think you underestimate that. We need a new manager so that we can start affresh and stop the rot.

Although I didn''t go to Palace yesterday (too many bad memories) I did go to QPR and Derby and Hull, all of which were woeful perfomances - QPR was the first time I actually began to think about getting rid of Worthy.

However with his history at the club I didn''t join in with the Worthy Outters, I though he derserved a chance. I went to the matches over Xmas and New Year, and thought perhaps there was hope (though we were awful against Leicester. and only won because they were even worse)

But all that hope was soon dashed. The transfer window was depressing, only the last minute signing of Earnie showed any ambition - and what a waste of money has that been, with the football we have been playing?

And how come Dowie can get AJ to commit to Palace, when Ashton couldn''t wait to leave us? (I''m not defending Ashton, he proved how meaningless a contract is). And who was our best player during December and January? Paul McVeigh. His reward? Being relegated to the bench.

The point is the longer we go on performing so badly the worse the effect on the confidence of the squad, the more the future of the club is damaged. You don''t just keep ploughing along with the same team/tactics that aren''t working you change something.

And if the manager has no ideas then perhaps he''s not the right man for the job.

The play offs seem a very very long shot now but while there''s a mathematical chance we can still dream!! It won''t happen but is there anything wrong with trying to stay optimistic? If we don''t have optimism what do we have?? :-/

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]The play offs seem a very very long shot now but while there''s a mathematical chance we can still dream!! It won''t happen but is there anything wrong with trying to stay optimistic? If we don''t have optimism what do we have?? :-/[/quote]

what the hell are you on about??? we have had 1 decent game in 10 but the play-offs are still on!! christ, Bolton can still mathematically win the premiership!! I would put more money on that than us winning 10 games on the trot!!!!!  lol  and saffers is injured so we arent gonna win until he is fit again.

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Dicky, Worthington cannot inspire his players, cannot motivate, cannot train them as a team, cannot choose his best 11, cannot shoose tactics, he is useless. If it is not the manager''s responsibility to make the players function as a team, then what IS his job?!

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Dicky, so your argument is to keep Worthy becuase there is no-one better??

Wow, way to inspire confidence in the manager. Dicky, with Worthy at the helm, things will only get worse, we are seeing this with the palace results, if you want proof, there it is. A team built and designed by Worthy got absolutely stuffed by a team with whom we were neck and neck even last year, as we plummetted to new lows in the Premiership.

We need to get him out, and give a new manager time to design and build a team that can get us promoted next season. That simple. 

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Dicky, whether or not you admit it, week after week more people want Worthy out. The next Home game, which will put stastically paid to our promotion hopes, will show the truth, as the entire crowd makes its views known. Oh, and it gets better, if the board offer Worthy a new deal, I wonder how many season tickets will not be renewed? I wonder what attendances will be like next year?

Dicky, Im pleading with you here, he HAS to go.

He MUST.

I was at the match too Dicky (not behind a pc as you patronisingly imply the Worthy Outers are).

Yes we were disgraceful today. I was also at Luton , QPR and Millwall away where we were also disgraceful and at all the home matches except Watford & Millwall.

I did not join in the Worthy Out chants but if you think those who want Worthy Out are still in the minority I think you are deluded. It was also tempting to singalong with the Palace fans with "We''re not very good", "We''re sh!t and we know we are etc".  If you think the chants came from 2% I think your estimating is wrong and if you think the remaining 98% want him to stay I know you''re wrong.

As for "Chopping the dead wood"...how about starting the Worthy himself and then virtually every player HE has brought to the club in the last 12 months (Robinson, Hughes, Jarrett, Etuhu, Colin, Thorne) and stop this loan policy.

As for his replacement, anyone would be a gamble but a gamble worth taking.

I was previously an optimist, but after watching yesterdays shambles, no longer do I number their ranks. The performance was atrocious. And what was more worrying for me was the fact that so few of the players appeared to be technically any good. Stick a few huge defenders against us, and we can''t do a thing. Hucks couldn''t get past the hulk of a right back who was marking him, Peter ''I''m not really a professional but hey I don''t care'' Thorne couldnt win a header in a million months of sundays or show any sort of goal threat, and Earnshaw needs quality balls to get any sort of chance of scoring.

I fear for the future. Not because we''ll get relegated. We won''t, not this season or next. But the thing is, I can''t see us mounting a challenge for promotion next season, with a new manager or not. Even if we did get a new manager in, he would either need a huge transfer/wage budget to overhaul the terrible signings made this season, or he would be stuck with the likes of Etuhu (3 year contract), Jarrett (2 more years), Hughes (2 more years) Robinson (2 more years) Thorne (1 more year), Colin (2 years?) and MLJ (1 year?) until their contracts are either paid up or their deal expires as the chances of flogging them looks remote. After all, McVeigh, one of our better players, was on the transfer list for 6 months with no takers last year. So how can we get shot of any of the above for cash? And paying up their contracts would cost money and reduce the amount available for brining new players in. Keeping them however would eat up our wage budget, meaning we can''t bring new players in, and certainly not quality.

I''m resigned to at least another 2 years of football at this level, until players with technical ability can be brought it, who can actually keep possession of the ball. And quite frankly, if a new manager came in, there would be no miracles over night. However, if he can sort this sorry mess of a team out, then I''m all for it.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]The play offs seem a very very long shot now but while there''s a mathematical chance we can still dream!! It won''t happen but is there anything wrong with trying to stay optimistic? If we don''t have optimism what do we have?? :-/[/quote]

what the hell are you on about??? we have had 1 decent game in 10 but the play-offs are still on!! christ, Bolton can still mathematically win the premiership!! I would put more money on that than us winning 10 games on the trot!!!!!  lol  and saffers is injured so we arent gonna win until he is fit again.

[/quote] Um I did say it won''t happen. If you actually look at my post I state that in my opinion the possibility is only really now mathematical which I''m sure you won''t deny! But what is the harm of staying optimistic until the possibility has completely gone?? To me part of being a football fan is eternal optimism otherwise how do you get through the hard times?? Alternatively we can all be totally negative, only talk about doom and gloom and make ourselves even more depressed than we already are - I know what i''d prefer to do!

"For me the sensible strategy would be to ditch him now and give the new manager, whoever it is, at least half a dozen games to assess the squad before the summer".

I''d love to see this happen, CM.  The trouble is, unless it''s someone like Mark Bowen (my choice), the Board will never get Parkinson or Boothroyd (Newell, just maybe) right now - they''re too busy trying to get their team promoted. No manager worth his salt would give up the chance of achieving that - not even for NCFC.  

[quote user="Dicky"]

Total optimist, I know, but after today, things can only get better[/quote]

At this stage there is nothing short of relegation which will change the minds of some fans.

The players not "trying" is reflective on management.

Its no surprise that Newcastle are doing much better with the same team but with a mangement shake up.

A lot of fans will not boo worthy or the team even though they think he should go.

The silence and atmosphere at the Brighton game should be enough evidence that the vast majority of fans are not happy with the current results and style of football.

That boils down to the manager.

I think another interesting twist was when one of Worthys biggest supporters (Neil Adams) was thanked for now thinking that Worthy should go, he never denied it.

He could have said "I never said one way or the other" but he said nothing as if to acknowledge that even he thinks Worthy has lost the players.

WORTHY OUT.

We have realism.

Come on lets be sacking you, come on lets be sacking you ........

[quote user="Al Yellow"]

We have realism.

Come on lets be sacking you, come on lets be sacking you ........

[/quote] I meant if we don''t have optimism what do we have to be positive about?? Realism doesn''t equal positive in the current situation!! Anyway there are things to be optimistic about! If you can''t be optimistic as a football fan what''s the point of supporting any more???