ricardo

A brief note from Ricardo

Dear fellow posters and friends, just a brief note to explain why I shall be taking a break from the Forum for a while.

A few days ago I had to say a final goodbye to my dear son Neil. Three years ago we thought he had beaten cancer but its sudden return came as a profound shock. We were together at the final home game before the World Cup but fell ill in late November before declining at an alarming rate.

He has always accompanied me to Carrow Rd since the mid 1970's when I first took him on my shoulders. Other kids his age were into the big clubs at the time but I was overjoyed when he came to love our great club as much as I did. Together with the wider Canary Family, and as father and son, we laughed and cried through the joys and disappointments of all those intervening seasons. Neil was 55 years old and losing him like this has left an empty space in the lives of all his family and his wide circle of friends.

I have been a member of this forum for nearly twenty years and have enjoyed contributing my thoughts and memories and indeed there have been few days when I don't at least look in to make a comment. We may be strangers to one another behind our Avatars but I have come to know many personally while others that I haven't met but engaged with over the years, I have come to regard as my long distance friends. At this time events and matches at CR have dropped a few places in my list of priorities and I intend to give myself a bit of space to take things in.

I hope at some stage to feel able to pick up the pen again but for now my heart isn't in it and my thoughts are elsewhere.

Best wishes and the seasons blessings to you all.

Ricardo

• Thanks 18
  • Sad 46

My condolence Ricardo. What a timely reminder of putting football in perspective too. 

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss. I knew Neil well, though hadn't seen him much in recent times. I last saw him in the summer and he seemed to be doing really well. Cancer is brutal and indiscriminate and 55 is far too young to lose anyone, let alone such a big-hearted and kind soul as Neil. He will be missed by many. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your news and in no way can I find words to ease your pain.

I just hope your family and you can get over your heartbreak and life become easier.

We will miss you and your posts.

Edited by keelansgrandad

So sorry to hear this Ricardo, as a parent I can’t really imagine having to say goodbye to your child, sincerest condolences to you, your family and Neil’s family and friends.

So sorry to hear Ricardo. Will miss your posts in the meantime, but best wishes to you and the rest of your family.

Sorry to hear of your Son's passing. I never met Neil, but if he's anything like you, then I have no doubt he was a good man. hope you and yours hold well to the fond and loving memories that were created while you were together.

You'll always hear his voice in the singing and cheers of Carrow Road.

42 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Dear fellow posters and friends, just a brief note to explain why I shall be taking a break from the Forum for a while.

A few days ago I had to say a final goodbye to my dear son Neil. Three years ago we thought he had beaten cancer but its sudden return came as a profound shock. We were together at the final home game before the World Cup but fell ill in late November before declining at an alarming rate.

He has always accompanied me to Carrow Rd since the mid 1970's when I first took him on my shoulders. Other kids his age were into the big clubs at the time but I was overjoyed when he came to love our great club as much as I did. Together with the wider Canary Family, and as father and son, we laughed and cried through the joys and disappointments of all those intervening seasons. Neil was 55 years old and losing him like this has left an empty space in the lives of all his family and his wide circle of friends.

I have been a member of this forum for nearly twenty years and have enjoyed contributing my thoughts and memories and indeed there have been few days when I don't at least look in to make a comment. We may be strangers to one another behind our Avatars but I have come to know many personally while others that I haven't met but engaged with over the years, I have come to regard as my long distance friends. At this time events and matches at CR have dropped a few places in my list of priorities and I intend to give myself a bit of space to take things in.

I hope at some stage to feel able to pick up the pen again but for now my heart isn't in it and my thoughts are elsewhere.

Ricardo

I'm so so sorry to hear of your awful loss. I can't imagine any grief worse than that of seeing any of your children go before you.

You will have been and will continue to be - in my opinion - one of the finest, if not the finest, poster on this forum. You go a long way to making this forum a worthwhile place to visit simply on your own efforts.

People often complain when so much attention is paid to grief hitting the life of any well-known figure. Why not for everybody? The reason is simple. It's because the person grieving brings something valued to the lives to so many, so I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling genuinely upset to hear of what must be a devastating thing for you.

I'll miss your insightful and well-drafted match reports in the meantime. If/when you do feel the urge to tackle the keyboard again in your unparalleled style, it will be a great day for all of us here on the forum, but please take your time; I hope you have plenty of comfort around you as you come to terms with your grief.

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear this and wish you and your family the very best during this hard time. God bless Ricardo. 

Thats so sad, I'm so sorry to hear that Ricardo. We lost my partner's mum in July, at 54, to cancer so I can draw some parallels but obviously it's different to lose a child. I wish there was something I could say that would help, but I know there isnt so I will just express my sincere condolences and wish you and your family all the best at this heartbreaking moment. 

Edited by kick it off

Sorry for your loss, he was far too young.

I lost my Dad to cancer in November. That  was also a very rapid decline it’s bloody horrible

As Nutty says, there are no words. No parent should have to bury their child, it is the worst on so many levels.

We are waiting to hear if my wife has cancer, and even the possibility triggers the re-evaluation of so many actions and priorities.

I hope you can face going to the Carra without him one day. Your reports are the one true barometer of how the team is performing. I hope the club is saving them as they are a form of social history, an integral part of the Club's history.

Take care - of yourself as well as those around you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Ricardo

Dear Ricardo, it’s the saddest thing to hear, my full and wholehearted sympathy, I will call you my friend, we might have never met in person but we’re part of a family here.

I can fully understand what you’re going through, I have watched three of my closest family members battle cancer, luckily my wife & mum have both for now beaten breast cancer I too lost my closest family member Maik to brain & Bowl Cancer this year, he too was only 53. We were like brothers when I lived in Prague, he was diagnosed last January and went through six months of traumatic operations and therapy only to lose his battle in July.

Take your time but remember we can be here to give support if needed, just a chat, catch up or even a PM to us if needed, might just help to chat to someone outside the close nit family circle sometimes can help.

My love to you and your family in this tough time…..💛💚

I am so very sorry to hear of your terrible news Ricardo. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I am so very sorry to hear this @ricardo. We've never met, but I always enjoy reading your comments and respect you highly.  Your match reports are always the best source to hearing about how a game actually went.

This puts everything into perspective, it's a terribly sad loss and I feel for you and your family, there is nothing I can say except that I am thinking of you.  I'm sure the pinkun message board is not a priority, and just do what you need to get through this difficult time, and we'll see you on here as and when you want.