Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Injuries and then there is Cantwell.

What difference did it make for Smith to keep the Ramsey and Cantwell absence from the squad a secret yet felt it was ok to announce the absence of Nunez.
As for Cantwell 'not being in the right place'.Jesus Christ lad pull your finger out and get on with it.

Boy this fanbase loves supporting one of our own. Wonder if you said the same when Sterlings house was broken into and his famlily members were robbed at gun point so he left the england team to check up on them.. Maybe he should have just stayed and 'pulled his finger out and got on with it' huh?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Dean Smith is just wandering from place to place, gelling his hair up and hoping for the best. If you clapped your hands in front of his face he wouldn’t even flinch, he’s got no idea what’s going on.

And Shakey is in a race with Alan Brazil to see who explodes first

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Boy this fanbase loves supporting one of our own. Wonder if you said the same when Sterlings house was broken into and his famlily members were robbed at gun point so he left the england team to check up on them.. Maybe he should have just stayed and 'pulled his finger out and got on with it' huh?

Why do you insist on posting stuff without knowing the full facts ? Sterling’s family were in in Qatar 

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never mind the tosh about sporting your own assuming you are referencing the fact he comes from Dereham.I couldn't care less if he was my cousin,if he is fit he should be ready to play.The Sterling situation is a different situation entirely. Cantwell has just been on a bit of a jolly trip to America and apparently was not injured but didn't feel ready to play,I would rather Smith lied and said he was injured 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I find Deano's statement about Cantwell hard to believe. He just doesn't like him it seems. He could have put him on the bench.

What was his statement about Cantwell? I couldn't find anything on the Pinkun or the official site, must have missed it.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What was his statement about Cantwell? I couldn't find anything on the Pinkun or the official site, must have 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

None of this actually happened. The whole family were out of the country at the time of the burglary and the missing items were only noticed when they arrived home 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

None of this actually happened. The whole family were out of the country at the time of the burglary and the missing items were only noticed when they arrived home 

Christ, it's a full-time job checking Cambridgeshire's unresearched verbal diarrhoea, isn't it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So,Cantwell has a few days in New York before joining up with the rest in Tampa. Has a weeks warm weather training and plays 30 mins against Man City's youth team then says he does'nt feel ready to be selected. Get rid as soon as,please!!!

My take on this is that Cantwell possibly has a move lined up for January and doesn't want it scuppered by an injury

And maybe it suits the club also not to play him in the  meantime

Edited by Rottingdean canary
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

So,Cantwell has a few days in New York before joining up with the rest in Tampa. Has a weeks warm weather training and plays 30 mins against Man City's youth team then says he does'nt feel ready to be selected. Get rid as soon as, please!!!

Smith didn't seem to feel that way, he actually said he agreed with Cantwell's assessment.

For what it's worth, having run Sunday teams etc in the past. It's really brave and respectful of a player to come forward and say they are not feeling quite up to starting or playing on. I would rather that than they play on and are unable to give 100%.

I had that happen at half time once, when a chap had something go on with his family that he hadn't disclosed. He hoped that football would be a bit of escapism and a chance for him to focus that energy away from him through exercise. As a human do you get angry with that or do you respect that?

Smith said he happened to agree with Cantwell and didn't have a problem. He also stressed that Cantwell asked to put in extra sessions which he agreed to and again, paid respect to him for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

Smith didn't seem to feel that way, he actually said he agreed with Cantwell's assessment.

For what it's worth, having run Sunday teams etc in the past. It's really brave and respectful of a player to come forward and say they are not feeling quite up to starting or playing on. I would rather that than they play on and are unable to give 100%.

I had that happen at half time once, when a chap had something go on with his family that he hadn't disclosed. He hoped that football would be a bit of escapism and a chance for him to focus that energy away from him through exercise. As a human do you get angry with that or do you respect that?

Smith said he happened to agree with Cantwell and didn't have a problem. He also stressed that Cantwell asked to put in extra sessions which he agreed to and again, paid respect to him for that.

Fully respect what you say,and,having played in teams and seen and experienced it myself I totally see where you're coming from.But,with Todd,this does seem to be a neverending story.

2 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Fully respect what you say,and,having played in teams and seen and experienced it myself I totally see where you're coming from.But,with Todd,this does seem to be a neverending story.

To be fair though, Smith appears to have handled it superbly. No public criticism. No song and dance, he gave him chances when he took over and then allowed him to go on loan to get away for a bit. He appears to be managing him well, we have certainly seen Cantwell looking a lot more productive on a football pitch this season than any of last.

With these things, we never know the full story. The fact that Cantwell wanted extra sessions and is putting in the effort suggests to me that he too is aware that he needs to be doing better. I'm glad that he asked and that Smith agreed with the players own assessment. Suggests that he has the respect of the players IMHO. 

• Like 1

Cantwell not playing, based on his (lack of) contributions this season is no great loss. Aside from his wages, which it’s hard to justify that he is actually ‘earning’ but it’s not his fault he is paid what he is. You could argue he has amassed a lifetime worthy equivalent sum and I expect will have no problems continuing to make money by some means. Also just as entitled to pay when off with mental health concerns or family concerns or whatever other concerns that might be the cause. On balance though, he should not be offered any kind of new contract that doesn’t involve a pay cut or very short length to counter the risk he poses of more of the same going forward. As I say, he has the means to live comfortably as of now, so he can take a break to sort himself out if he needs it and still be ticking over comfortably. 
Obviously I don’t rate him, he won’t care, but it does reduce how much I am willing to keep faith that he might just come good again. 

Todd's been acting (and playing?) like all he wants to do is extend his contract, just look at what he puts on social media.  If he's just been trying to put himself in the shop window I will be pretty annoyed.

So, Gonna take this at face value, and that he and Smith both thought he wasn't right for this game, for whatever reason, and we see him vs Blackburn as expected.

Although it does remind me of being ill as a school kid where you knew you'd always get the Friday off so you were 100% for Monday.... Sure, right! 🙂

Tbh I’m glad we are starting to keep the odd injury update a bit closer to our chests.  The idea that you have to give full disclosure is bit odd, yes supporters like to know, but there can be downsides to being overly honest.  Keeping news quiet of a key player being back or out makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chicken said:

I'm glad that he asked and that Smith agreed with the players own assessment. Suggests that he has the respect of the players IMHO. 

Smith is plainly about consulting the players, a more democratic character than Farke, who expected players to be responsible for themselves and didn't stand for any nonsense from anyone.  I prefer a leader who leads and who isn't afraid to stand up for those beliefs. 

Too much democracy in a football team is not a good idea.  Alex Neil came in with a strong leadership style, but that evaporated after a while as he started to lose his control over the players.  Strong leadership is what is required. 

• Haha 1

Seems like year round since Todd last wasn't right. We don't know the detail so we'll leave him and Smith to sort it out. Todd's attitude seems spot on this season so no need for going overboard at this point.

As for saying Farke had or tried to have more control over the players is a bit of a joke really, and I cast my mind back to the catastrophic shambles at Chelsea last season where the likes of Normann were playing wherever he dam well wanted to.

Is this a classic Clough moment? 

"I invited young Todd to come in and have chat about whether he deserved to be in the squad on Saturday. He opened up by saying of course he should he being much better than anyone else in the team, we discussed things a little further, then we both agreed I was right and he was staying at home for a little extra training at Colney. Nothing else to say." 😉

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Is this a classic Clough moment? 

"I invited young Todd to come in and have chat about whether he deserved to be in the squad on Saturday. He opened up by saying of course he should he being much better than anyone else in the team, we discussed things a little further, then we both agreed I was right and he was staying at home for a little extra training at Colney. Nothing else to say." 😉

👍🤣

• Thanks 1

All happy to enjoy the sunshine trip to Tampa. Not happy enough to do his job. 
This circus needs to come to a conclusion for the good of the Club and Player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

👍🤣

Thanks for digging this out, @Mengo I didn't have time earlier as I had to join in some training, but you were spot on.👏👏

On 11/12/2022 at 17:32, Feedthewolf said:

What was his statement about Cantwell? I couldn't find anything on the Pinkun or the official site, must have missed it.

That he and Todd had a discussion and felt he needed one more training session and would put him in the frame for Blackburn.

Just don't get it. How has he lost his fitness? How have they monitored him? Is he that unfit he couldn't be on the bench?

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

That he and Todd had a discussion and felt he needed one more training session and would put him in the frame for Blackburn.

Just don't get it. How has he lost his fitness? How have they monitored him? Is he that unfit he couldn't be on the bench?

It wasn't "one more". Direct from the article. 

“Todd and I had a chat on the Thursday. I told him what I want to see from him for the rest of the season,” said Smith. “He didn’t feel physically he was ready for the (Swansea) game and he wanted to do some extra sessions on that aspect. I agreed with him, and I love that attitude.  

Edited by chicken

Got to be honest I didn't even click Cantwell wasn't in the squad until this post, which is possibly a damning verdict on the lad.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Thanks for digging this out, @Mengo I didn't have time earlier as I had to join in some training, but you were spot on.👏👏

Brian Clough was a personality football will never forget. 

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 2