Sign in to follow this  
Chichcan

January transfer window rumours thread

1 minute ago, Newtopia said:

It is funny seeing everyone calling for a CDM when we Hayden, McLean, Gibbs, and Sorenson, if we play 2 CDM's I genuinely think Nunez will do a good job. The problem with hayden is he is just not playing enough, and I guess the medical team need to give a view on whether he is going to come through it.

We're well-stocked on the face of it. At the same time though, I'd say Hayden is the best quality option out of those players. On the occasions he has been fit, I've thought we've looked much more defensively solid this season. When he hasn't, we've seemed more vulnerable to me.

I'm not expecting much this transfer window, but a bit of me thinks that the positivity that has come out of the managerial change could be really capitalised on if one or two signings of intent were made this window. Perhaps Mr Attanasio might be persuaded to chip in if necessary.

• Like 1

I hope we are looking for different attributes during the open window. I feel we have a distinct lack of pace in the squad at the moment. We are one paced in fact. We need that player who turns the game with pace. Emi was with his brain. We might be lucky to find a replica. But someone who when put in space can challenge the opposition to either tackle or turn. Other sides seem to get us turning enough times.

Edited by keelansgrandad

So much can change in a short time 

we need the Emi / Pukki Webber to get his hat on as others have said ,

we also need some cash from somewhere for a rebuild as so many players are out of contract ,

by the end of this season we could even have a New DOF ? 

who knows when the US investors will strike for a takeover ? maybe if we stay down and money gets tighter ? 

a lot of unknowns 

People have been talking on here of a 'clean slate'. I'm not seeing many outgoings unless Wagner runs the rule over the squad really quickly and/or is heavily influenced by the rest of the coaching staff and Webber. 

Realistically we have Krul, Rashica, Aarons, Cantwell and Pukki who might create a transfer fund if moved on this window, but that carries a risk in itself otherthan Rashica and Cantwell possibly. 

All in all I'm not seeing much happening this window.

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I hope the loan of Hayden continues, regardless of the continuing injury problems. In spite of injury problems, he has been a positive contributor when he has been involved, so makes sense to keep the option open unless the medical professionals believe there's no or little chance of a good outcome to his injury problems.

Don't see it.  Seems like a nice bloke but seemingly can't play football at the level we need, definitely don't want him permanently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newtopia said:

It is funny seeing everyone calling for a CDM when we Hayden, McLean, Gibbs, and Sorenson, if we play 2 CDM's I genuinely think Nunez will do a good job. The problem with hayden is he is just not playing enough, and I guess the medical team need to give a view on whether he is going to come through it.

I think it's possibly because there needs to be a differentiation between a holding midfielder and a defensive midfielder. Defensive tend to be there to break up opposition play, as their name suggests, a defensively minded player screening the defence from midfield.

Examples historically for us and elsewhere would be Gattuso, Makele, Tettey, Gary Holt. A holding midfielder is usually better on the ball and is more about interceptions than combative and their role is to get the ball from the defence or defensive midfielder, bring it forward and to play the ball. Again, some examples would be Deschamps, Surman at Bournemouth, Fox at the base of Lambert's diamond midfield.

In a double pivot, it's usually one of each. McLean is more holding than defensive, as is Gibbs I would argue - in a 4-2-3-1 system. Hayden and Sorensen are more in the CDM mold. Some players can do both, I would argue Johnson was like that for us. Howson was also a capable holding player. Equally, sometimes a box to box player is preferred in one of those two positions to help get forward too.

I do think it's important to distinguish between the two and how their roles are different. Against really tough opposition you could play two CDMs, let them kick their midfield about a bit, ruffle a few feathers, that'd put more emphasis on those AM three to do the passing and creating.

• Like 3

IF anyone has football boots then turn up on the ground friday next week - just to see if you kick a ball if you pass this test. and also you beer belly fit the shirt - you get a game, dont forget the wage is a pint and pie after the game ,

We don't know the terms of Hayden's loan but it wouldn't seem to make sense to pay all or part his salary if he cannot play. If we can't get at least 10 more games out of him I'd be looking to end the loan if there is a get out clause.

Saw Undaz scored for Brighton today in their 5-1 win over Middlesboro. The commentator said, all the Brighton players congratulated Undaz having returned to the squad after "a wretched run of injuries"

Sounds like he's Norwich's sort of player then!

• Haha 1

The Starman is on a 'short list' for Fulham right wing back allegedly. Mind you it's transfer window time so the boy's name invariably crops up and almost invariably nothing happens!  

Didn't DW have Lewis O'brien with him at Huudersfield ? Always rated him at Championship level and not playing much at Forest. Maybe a cheeky loan with option to buy.

Just a thought

22 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Didn't DW have Lewis O'brien with him at Huudersfield ? Always rated him at Championship level and not playing much at Forest. Maybe a cheeky loan with option to buy.

Just a thought

Would be a decent singing, but imagine not cheap and probably out of our budget now. 

I don’t think he played under Wagner either, I think he was out on loan to Bradford.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

11 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Webber needs to bring some fresh faces in without doubt, in this window. 

He needs to find a few more Vrancic, Steipermann, Trybull, Leitners… cheap but effective.

All foreign players who we could not get a work permit for thanks to Brexit. Sadly, their alternatives in this country don't come cheap anymore. League one players genuinely Championship ready will already be starting in the 7-figure price bracket.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2023 at 12:12, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I like Hogg I’d take him in a heartbeat 

I think lungi, if he can stay fit and defo in this league, will do the job hogg did (holding dm and dropping in to make a third CB when side backs push on) will be a Wagner fave.

I do however think we should go out out for QPR player Joe willock (brother of Newcastle's Chris) for the his attacking flair and link play, despite us having Todd and sara. Dowell doesn't do enough and siinani isn't prem. 

Rob dickie wouldn't be a bad shout as another CB. Big and young and always looks decent. 

They may even consider hugill in some swap? He had his most prolific season there before he came to us. Sad as I'd like to see him get a chance but he does only have another year left 

On 07/01/2023 at 10:52, cambridgeshire canary said:

BREAKING NEWS:  Wagners Norwich transfer targets have been leaked

https://www.htafc.com/matches/first-team/

Not true CC- heard that ground person being linked- rumours they good covering the pitch -able to work on the wings- fab down the centre of the pitch- marking is what they are really good at- and they cut along the pitch with slick action, and whats more they come 😚 with no transfer fee-

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

All foreign players who we could not get a work permit for thanks to Brexit. Sadly, their alternatives in this country don't come cheap anymore. League one players genuinely Championship ready will already be starting in the 7-figure price bracket.

Good point.

• Like 1

Jamal Lowe, ex Swansea now Bournemouth being linked with us on loan. Would be a good move if it materialises 

On 08/01/2023 at 11:15, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Webber needs to bring some fresh faces in without doubt, in this window. 

He needs to find a few more Vrancic, Steipermann, Trybull, Leitners… cheap but effective.

Brexit has shat over that my friend.

We are stuck with half **** south Americans, safe to say we haven't unearthed the next Ronaldo (fat not CR7)

3 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Jamal Lowe, ex Swansea now Bournemouth being linked with us on loan. Would be a good move if it materialises 

Yes with Pukki, Sargent and Idah clearly what we need is more strikers to play on the wing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes with Pukki, Sargent and Idah clearly what we need is more strikers to play on the wing.

And we are down to our last four goalkeepers.

In fact we have plenty for each position. Its just that many of them just aren't as good as we hoped.

Edited by keelansgrandad

On 07/01/2023 at 15:04, Capt. Pants said:

We don't know the terms of Hayden's loan but it wouldn't seem to make sense to pay all or part his salary if he cannot play. If we can't get at least 10 more games out of him I'd be looking to end the loan if there is a get out clause.

i can see it now his latest operation went well we think so we are going a head a signed Hayden on a 4 year deal 

aka matt javis style 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Brexit has shat over that my friend.

We are stuck with half **** south Americans, safe to say we haven't unearthed the next Ronaldo (fat not CR7)

That would be that South America has been a well tapped market for years on the continent and by higher level Premier League teams who can snap up players who have enough points since Brexit.

For some reason, players found it easier to get work permits in the EU so many got bought and loaned there, or teams waited for them to go to Europe before signing them once they'd played.

We are fighting for players in a space already well watched internationally.

As is usually the case, we are looking for players that other teams haven't quite been convinced by or who we think haven't yet been seen in the right light or scouted at all.