Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Giving up on this place and 'bad request' issues

Yes I know, you can clear cookies.

Works for about half an hour, then its 'bad request' again. On multiple devices, on more than one browser.

Tried several times to reply to posts on here only to get 'bad request' and lose all the text. In fact, this is the second time I've had to type out this very post (crossing my fingers I won't have to do the third). Actually, if this post works it will be the first time I've succeeded since 25th November.

Opening myself up to "who cares", "good riddance" etc, but do have to wonder how many other people are simply giving up and have had enough with the complete technical ineptitude of the sites new holding company and/or whatever dregs are left from the old Archant staff after all the competent ones did the sensible thing and took a payoff.

Somebody be a legend and start a new forum please, why isn't there one associated with the Canaries Trust or another supporters group? What about a forum for shareholders? 

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes I know, you can clear cookies.

Works for about half an hour, then its 'bad request' again. On multiple devices, on more than one browser.

Tried several times to reply to posts on here only to get 'bad request' and lose all the text. In fact, this is the second time I've had to type out this very post (crossing my fingers I won't have to do the third). Actually, if this post works it will be the first time I've succeeded since 25th November.

Opening myself up to "who cares", "good riddance" etc, but do have to wonder how many other people are simply giving up and have had enough with the complete technical ineptitude of the sites new holding company and/or whatever dregs are left from the old Archant staff after all the competent ones did the sensible thing and took a payoff.

Somebody be a legend and start a new forum please, why isn't there one associated with the Canaries Trust or another supporters group? What about a forum for shareholders? 

I have found that if I stick to the following rules then I have no issues:

-Only use Firefox (I'm on Mac OS)

-Bookmark a link to the main discussion page and access via that

-do not use the link from the main news page to the forum ever: You will get bad request as soon as you do that.

-If you make a mistake and get bad request, quit firefox, open again, and use the bookmark to get to the forum.

If I stick to these rules then I don't have problems. Thanks to @Yellow fever for the observation about a direct bookmark.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

-Only use Firefox

-do not use the link from the main news page to the forum ever: You will get bad request as soon as you do that.

-If you make a mistake and get bad request, quit firefox, open again, and use the bookmark to get to the forum.

If I stick to these rules then I don't have problems. Thanks to @Yellow fever for the observation about a direct bookmark.

I will try the direct bookmark thing, thanks, I usually click on messageboard from the homepage.

Still infuriating though really that they don't care enough anymore to fix the glaring issues.

I know Pete Raven said 1 million page views a month means this forum is safe, but that's 1 million page views before sh*tloads of people started getting bad request issues, people haven't got infinite patience, they can and will give up on the place if the issues persist. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, CANARYKING said:

Does anybody from Archant read this, be good to have them comment !

Forgot to add that I too are considering giving up

2 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Does anybody from Archant read this, be good to have them comment !

I'm worried about the disconnect between the Pinkun forum and its users.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 4

It is weird, I've not had any of this issues. When they were happening previously I got them all the time but I don't think I'm doing anything special?

Agree with TVB about this.

It’s b*oody infuriating if you write a post, press send and then ‘ bad request ‘ pops up. Since Pete Raven left this forum has basically been left to rot. I doubt anyone oversees if now although there must be someone monitoring it as some threads have been pulled.

More and more features are gravitating towards the paywall and I wonder if it’ll continue for much longer

• Like 1

I find that if you stick to the Messageboard page then you won't encounter any issues. What you mustn't do this click on the Pinkun front page as you will get the error when you try and get back to the Messageboard. In the unlikely event there is some news worth reading, then open a new session of the Pinkun and access from that. This works for me in Chrome on laptop or android.

I mean it's crap and there does seem to be a distinct lack of traffic on here nowadays nothwithstanding no news updates and NCFC not playing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I find that if you stick to the Messageboard page then you won't encounter any issues. What you mustn't do this click on the Pinkun front page as you will get the error when you try and get back to the Messageboard. In the unlikely event there is some news worth reading, then open a new session of the Pinkun and access from that. This works for me in Chrome on laptop or android.

I mean it's crap and there does seem to be a distinct lack of traffic on here nowadays nothwithstanding no news updates and NCFC not playing.

When you think about it, they've created a system for punishing regular forum users for reading the journalism!

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly starting to feel like this is an issue on your end or with your wifi as I have not had poblems getting on here in at least a month

There are no issues getting on here, it's when you navigate away from the Messageboard but then try and get back using the links from the Pinkun. This happens to me whether I use my laptop or phone. I don't (normally) have any issues if I just stick to the messageboard and bookmark the Pinkun from the Messageboard page.

There's no problem with my WIFI and I don't have any problems on any other websites.

• Like 1

Can you copy the text you've typed in, before sending (select text, then ctrl-c) - then at least if it falls over you can paste it straight back into a new box (ctrl-v) when you've got it back?

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

There are no issues getting on here, it's when you navigate away from the Messageboard but then try and get back using the links from the Pinkun. This happens to me whether I use my laptop or phone. I don't (normally) have any issues if I just stick to the messageboard and bookmark the Pinkun from the Messageboard page.

There's no problem with my WIFI and I don't have any problems on any other websites.

Fair enough, but end of the day as I said I myself have not have any issues on here. Knowing my luck however now I have said this I probably will 🤣

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Forgot to add that I too are considering giving up

Same here,  only use it on my phone and have to clear cookies every time which is a pain. Will keep persevering for Pups picks until the end of the season. 

Guess we were spoilt by Pete who looked after it in his spare time,  seems theres no-one willing to do that now, cant say I blame them tbh

• Like 1

I've just double checked that when you click on the Pinkun front page via the Messageboard it opens in a new tab (at least that's how my browser settings work), so long as I go back to the original Messageboard tab and not use the Front page link it seems to work fine. 

That's easy enough to do on laptop but I sometimes forget when using my phone!

59 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly starting to feel like this is an issue on your end or with your wifi as I have not had poblems getting on here in at least a month

So an issue that I don't think I've even ever mentioned before is "starting to feel" like an issue with my wifi?

No, Cambridge, you are confusing me with one of the other dozens of people having the same issue, patently.

Not had any issues, but reading the above I think it's because I always just come straight to the forum and never come to it from the news site... Even if you don't have a bookmark just start typing pinkun into a chrome address bar and the forum should be there as an autocomplete from your history... Or even just type in forum.pinkun.com instead of pinkun.com...

Edited by cornish sam

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Not had any issues, but reading the above I think it's because I always just come straight to the forum and never come to it from the news site... Even if you don't have a bookmark just start typing pinkun into a chrome address bar and the forum should be there as an autocomplete from your history... Or even just type in forum.pinkun.com instead of pinkun.com...

Somebody else has suggested the bookmark thing so I will do that.

However how many people have already given up never to be seen again?

Does feel like a ghost town already with the same 20 odd people still here.

Also, not good news for the site as a whole as means I'll have no reason at all to ever visit the homepage, usually visit that to get to the messageboard and occasionally read an article on the way. 

Feels like the Pink'un has been bumped down the list of priorities and that we should perhaps fear for its future. Presumably the future of the site is reliant on subscriber numbers as they are pushing that hard now, but technical issues can't be helping sub numbers! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Please take Big Vince with you.

Where? I'd love to f*ck off somewhere mate, but we're woefully underserved when it comes to active forums for a club our size.

I could f*ck off to twitter but all I can see is arguments between alt-rights and the ultra-woke about some chap who accidentally bought the site in a strop and is now trying to bankrupt it for a tax write off.

I like Capt. Pants now access the site direct via a URL to the Messageboard, avoiding entirely trying to get to it from the new revamped site.  On my PC I basically never shut this forum down - it is always on but does mean I never switch the PC off. On my Andriod phone, I just use the history of previous searches for PinkUn Messageboard to access on there. Since then, I've not had a Bad Request.

I think the issue is down to the web-site update in September. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It is weird, I've not had any of this issues. When they were happening previously I got them all the time but I don't think I'm doing anything special?

The only issue I have is TVB’s posts 😉.

I am using Firefox, either on an iPhone, iPad or a laptop, so maybe that makes a difference? I tend to have the session running permanently but when I do start a new one, it’s is from a bookmark FWIW.

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where? I'd love to f*ck off somewhere mate, but we're woefully underserved when it comes to active forums for a club our size.

I could f*ck off to twitter but all I can see is arguments between alt-rights and the ultra-woke about some chap who accidentally bought the site in a strop and is now trying to bankrupt it for a tax write off.

There have been at least two attempts over the years to start up a rival to the Pink Un, but they withered and died pretty quickly. The majority of users will stick with more “mainstream” social media like Facebook or Twitter, although IMHO the content there is ruined by idiots or a tendency to degrade to pantomime arguments or threats of violence very quickly. I can’t see there being much likelihood of an alternative succeeding, especially when it seems many of us don’t have (much of) an issue.

I can’t even get onto the message board on my laptop any more. It’s since they re-formatted the home page/fonts etc. it’s messed everything up. 

I always view the forum on Android with Firefox.

Never had a problem.

Perhaps it's a filter installed by our dear departed Pete to get rid of posters who are troublemakers.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

-Only use Firefox (I'm on Mac OS)

This

• Like 1

I only use the messageboard and don’t have any problem-saved on the home screen on my iPhone and as a shortcut on my laptop.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah, this. 

But then again, I only ever access the messageboard through a bookmark, on an Android phone, using Google Chrome. 

Maybe using a bookmark or an Android device helps. Could it be one of those is the common denominator?