Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Any Windows 10 buffs?

A question if you are.

Since the last update, Save as and copy have stopped working or the dialogue box says not responding.

Anyone know how to sove it? I do not have any restore points before the update.

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

No specific answer to that problem,  but type CMD in the search box on the bottom bar, right click CMD and choose run as administrator, then type sfc /scannow and hit enter. This does a system file check and corrects any errors.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

No specific answer to that problem,  but type CMD in the search box on the bottom bar, right click CMD and choose run as administrator, then type sfc /scannow and hit enter. This does a system file check and corrects any errors.

I tried the cmd jobbie and it wouldn't let me do it, it said something about administrator.

Thanks anyway.

Yes. Right click CMD and choose 'run as administrator' from the menu that pops up. Then click yes in the dialog that pops up. This opens CMD with admin privileges which will allow the sfc command to run.

Also worth running chkdsk c /f /r in CMD in admin mode.

Yes. Right click CMD and choose 'run as administrator' from the menu that pops up. Then click yes in the dialog that pops up. This opens CMD with admin privileges which will allow the sfc command to run.

Also worth running chkdsk c /f /r in CMD in admin mode.

Cheers, I'll give it ago.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cheers, I'll give it ago.

You're not talking about Word specifically are you? They've actually got rid of save as in word.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/where-is-save-as-56d9b6bb-e3bd-42d7-8253-e10039d62d3a

The copy issue may be a deeper issue though.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

You're not talking about Word specifically are you? They've actually got rid of save as in word.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/where-is-save-as-56d9b6bb-e3bd-42d7-8253-e10039d62d3a

The copy issue may be a deeper issue though.

I think it is deeper. I tried scannow but it hasn't worked. I will try chkdsk.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

When you say it didn't work, what message did it come back with? There's normally a choice of 3: No corruption found; Corrupt files found and fixed; corrupt files found but unable to fix.

15 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

When you say it didn't work, what message did it come back with? There's normally a choice of 3: No corruption found; Corrupt files found and fixed; corrupt files found but unable to fix.

It said it had completed its task etc. I then tried a  save as and it didn't work.

And I have now used chkdsk with all of its variations and save as still doesn't work. It all happened after a windows 10 update.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It said it had completed its task etc. I then tried a  save as and it didn't work.

And I have now used chkdsk with all of its variations and save as still doesn't work. It all happened after a windows 10 update.

I assume you've restarted since completing both?

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I assume you've restarted since completing both?

Yep. I have uninstalled all the windows updates back to September as our friend SteveN suggested.

And it still won't allow Save as or Copy.

Luckily some menus that I had prepared have saved to PDF but certainly graphics do not save as.

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sadly I think you have hit the nail on the head right there.

As SteveN has already said, I would remove it.

36 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Sadly I think you have hit the nail on the head right there.

As SteveN has already said, I would remove it.

I have unfortunately and nothing has changed. Might have to take it to a pal up the road to look at it.

I can live without it but wlould like it working fully.

On 29/11/2022 at 22:08, keelansgrandad said:

Reading further, they've replaced 'save as' with 'save a copy'. It does pretty much the same thing. Can you see that option?

The only difference is that, whereas save as moved you to the newly created file for editing, 'save a copy' leaves you working on the file you originally opened instead of the one you've just created.

Utterly ridiculous change, but there you go.

Where are you at with copy and paste?

Sounds like it could be a storage location that's failing for some reason, the save as or save copy dialogs will both check available resources before showing.

Do you have any network locations, external drives, usb sticks or drive mappings connected that could cause this?

And how is file explorer working, is that ok?

Thanks for all your help chaps. It appears it is fixed. I deleted one more stubborn update and now it is working. Trouble is I have an update pending so I am not sure whether to ignore it or not.

Once again, shows what having mates on forums can achieve. Thanks to all.

If any of you are going to Swansea next week I will buy you a pint.

Edited by keelansgrandad

So it appears that the 'stubborn' update was causing the problem.

Can you remember which one it was?

From memory, not sure how/where, but you can select individual updates and flag them to be ignored/not installed.

Anyone else jump in here??

SteveN

1 hour ago, SteveN8458 said:

So it appears that the 'stubborn' update was causing the problem.

Can you remember which one it was?

From memory, not sure how/where, but you can select individual updates and flag them to be ignored/not installed.

Anyone else jump in here??

SteveN

I can't remember which one it was. There were five updates that could have caused the problem chronologically. Four deleted straight away but one took a lot of persuasion.

Apparently this stops windows 10 updates. Not sure if it does with 11.

To disable automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and click the top result to launch the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. Double-click the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off automatic Windows 10 updates permanently.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can't remember which one it was. There were five updates that could have caused the problem chronologically. Four deleted straight away but one took a lot of persuasion.

Apparently this stops windows 10 updates. Not sure if it does with 11.

To disable automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and click the top result to launch the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. Double-click the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off automatic Windows 10 updates permanently.

Copy and paste is such a ridiculously common feature on any OS that I'm finding it really hard to believe there is really an issue with an update that has broken copy and paste in Windows 10, or else there'd be riots on the streets. Okay, possibly a mild exagerration, but we'd definitely be hearing a lot more about it.

Having read a bit more, Microsoft have been adding features to clipboard that could potentially cause issues.

The other worry I have here is that a significant number of updates are about security, and Windows is the number one target for malevolent hackers to find vulnerabilities to compromise user data; if you take yourself off Windows standards upgrade schedule you're increasing your security risks unless you resolve to pay really close attention to what updates are offered and when.

As for the save as/save a copy thing, this is a design decision by Microsoft; ultimately it's only going to get harder and harder to avoid what is basically a mandatory change coming from their design team, whether you like it or not.

Great bit of sleuthing on your part, but I wouldn't be happy leaving it at that with a workaround rather than a real fix.

Two other things to consider would be disabling clipboard history and reenabling it to flush it: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_clipboard_history_in_windows_10.html

Also, in CMD as administrator again (right click and 'run as administrator like with sfc): dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Copy and paste is such a ridiculously common feature on any OS that I'm finding it really hard to believe there is really an issue with an update that has broken copy and paste in Windows 10, or else there'd be riots on the streets. Okay, possibly a mild exagerration, but we'd definitely be hearing a lot more about it.

Having read a bit more, Microsoft have been adding features to clipboard that could potentially cause issues.

The other worry I have here is that a significant number of updates are about security, and Windows is the number one target for malevolent hackers to find vulnerabilities to compromise user data; if you take yourself off Windows standards upgrade schedule you're increasing your security risks unless you resolve to pay really close attention to what updates are offered and when.

As for the save as/save a copy thing, this is a design decision by Microsoft; ultimately it's only going to get harder and harder to avoid what is basically a mandatory change coming from their design team, whether you like it or not.

Great bit of sleuthing on your part, but I wouldn't be happy leaving it at that with a workaround rather than a real fix.

Two other things to consider would be disabling clipboard history and reenabling it to flush it: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_clipboard_history_in_windows_10.html

Also, in CMD as administrator again (right click and 'run as administrator like with sfc): dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Coincidence?

Once I had removed the updates and the save as and copy returned, my usb headphones had awful reverb. I reinstalled drivers etc and it didn't improve. I had an update yesterday evening and lo and behold, no reverb anymore.

45 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Coincidence?

Once I had removed the updates and the save as and copy returned, my usb headphones had awful reverb. I reinstalled drivers etc and it didn't improve. I had an update yesterday evening and lo and behold, no reverb anymore.

lol. That's proper weirdness.