KiwiScot

Heading In Training Ban - Scottish Football

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For many, heading the ball is an enjoyable, thrilling and rewarding part of the game. I'm not sure there is a sensible way to approach it.

High Quality American Football Kit Mockup Designed Uniform - Buy Youth American  Football Uniforms,Custom Made American Football Uniform,Cheap Football  Uniforms Product on Alibaba.com

Not long now....Gone will be the days of 'No pads, no helmets....just balls'....

Can't see how anyone can really object to this unless you're a big fan of people getting brain damage.

There seems to be a link between repeatedly  heading the ball and brain trauma so it makes sense to limit it where possible. No need to be practicing it endlessly.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

For many, heading the ball is an enjoyable, thrilling and rewarding part of the game. I'm not sure there is a sensible way to approach it.

Surely the sensible way is not to do it so often? Some players may well like heading the ball but their families will appreciate this ruling in 15-20 years time.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Can't see how anyone can really object to this unless you're a big fan of people getting brain damage.

There seems to be a link between repeatedly  heading the ball and brain trauma so it makes sense to limit it where possible. No need to be practicing it endlessly.

A fantastic decision by the Scottish FA, while the English FA, UEFA and FIFA dilly dally trying to work out if there is a link between football and brain damage / dementia.

In my opinion football would be a vastly better game if heading was banned entirely. It would certainly reduce the emphasis on set pieces and lumping the ball long. Knowing the risks, it's pretty ridiculous that it carries on being allowed. I know I'm in the minority but sometimes you just have to question things rather than just going along with what's always been done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

In my opinion football would be a vastly better game if heading was banned entirely. It would certainly reduce the emphasis on set pieces and lumping the ball long. Knowing the risks, it's pretty ridiculous that it carries on being allowed. I know I'm in the minority but sometimes you just have to question things rather than just going along with what's always been done.

I reckon Max Aarons would shoot up in value if headers were banned. His height would no longer be an issue.

Actually, I suspect shorter players would be in more demand in general.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Can't see FIFA banning heading; it's an instinctive part of the game. Penalties for 'headball' would be interesting. You'd also have to penalise kicking the ball over head height, like 5 a side, which sounds ok in practice until you realise there will be no long balls or passes. 

Anyone who questions this decision needs to watch the BBC documentary about Steve Thompson the rugby union player who was part of England’s World Cup winning team in 2003. He’s in his forties now, has no memory of the world cup winning match at all, and forgets his daughters’ names. While he was probably unlucky to come to his peak just as rugby went professional and the impacts on the body are clearly different, the programme is a difficult but necessary watch. His story is by no means unique.

Repeated impacts to the head are clearly a cause of long-term brain damage and any movement in the rugby game to reduce the potential for injury seems to be driven largely by concerns about corporate liability rather than the health of players. This may well be what’s caused the action in Scotland. A class action lawsuit happened in the US for American football professionals recently and this seems to forced the rugby authorities into action. 

• Like 1

If anyone is really interested in this then seek out a film names Trauma, based on a true story of a Dr trying to stop impacts in NFL.

Great film and pretty enlightening at the same time.

• Like 1