Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour and a tweet that aged well. Not.

20 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Away from those two, who Is there for England? Legit question. Henderson is getting on in years. 

I've just checked the top 5 teams in the EPL. There's only 2 English midfielders: Willock and Longstaff. But when Newcastle start spending, those two are off.

People can sass me all they like (not you. You've been pleasant), but the aforementioned is a fact.

I agree we (England) have a lack of midfielders who are comfortable receiving the ball under pressure, and progressing the ball.

Bellingham the one to come through who can do it all, you can then look to see Harvey Elliott, Gallagher, and Jacob Ramsey plus of course Ollie Skipp.  Hopefully they will be around the squad for the next competition,

I thought Gilmour was poor at NCFC, it is true to say it was not all his fault equally he clearly did not grasp the opportunity.  At Brighton he is not getting close to the first team, perhaps that will change although the last I heard he might be heading out on loan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Billy Gilmour would walk into the England midfield.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Literally the dumbest comment I've ever seen posted on the whole Internet.....EVER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I thought the "Brian Laudrup would be the most expensive player in the world" comment was pretty odd but this is absolutely insane.

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

You aren't actually telling why I'm wrong. Just making quips. 🙂

There's no point in trying to discuss anything rationally with someone who claimed that Billy Gilmour would walk into England's midfield or that they're "a few" injuries away from playing Willock and Longstaff

Oh dear, Gilmour would walk into the England midfield! I’ll be reading that McLean would also walk into that midfield! Well I suppose we can all have opinions but I can’t say I’ve seen anything from Gilmour to say he’d walk into any team, he’s struggling to break into the Brighton side, having to go out on loan after being sold by Chelsea, must say something about his limited talents. But each to their own views and as I’ve said on many occasions we all see things differently and form opinions based on our own views and expectations.

As a question but what position is best for Gilmour? He’s not great at tackling, not great with heading so holding midfielder is not for him, he’s not creating much and certainly not catching they eye with any pace, so box to box is questionable, his scoring record and assists are low too, so he’s not really a number 10. Where would you play Gilmour?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In fairness, the Brighton duo of McAllister and Caisedo would walk into most EPL teams.

And Brighton are 7th. They're hardly struggling. 

And no. McLean is atrocious. 

I’m not questioning the midfield of Brighton, but two players don’t make up the Brighton midfield, he should be able to push them, that’s why I asked the question where to play Gilmour?

He’s probably a decent enough player with a run of games with good players around him, but I don’t see him as a game changer or a stalwart any premiership team needs. He needs to up his game massively to get to that point. He’s now 21 and will be 22 in June, should really by now be pushing as a starter.

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Fine.

Take out Rice and Phillips.

Who, like-for-lke, would replace them?

Only 2 English midfielders (number 8s) are starters for top 5 EPL teams 

Bellingham, Henderson, Ward-Prowse, Loftus-Cheek, Dier, Jones, Skipp, Ramsey, Reed, James. 

Willock is quite a decent young player.

Does "a few" mean over 13?

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Great question. 

The major thing? No one knows. He hasn't really played enough.

I wouldn't trust him as an anchorman, as I don't think he's defensively good enough.

Honestly, I don't know. Probably as a roaming number 8 where he can knit things together and be a metronome. It's not a sexy role, but every team needs at least one. His ball retention is probably his strongest asset and his counter press.

"No one knows (his best position). He hasn't really played enough. I wouldn't trust him as an anchorman, as I don't think he's defensively good enough."

England are currently the fifth highest ranked side in the world and yet...

"He'd walk into England's midfield"

You couldn't make up this level of mental gymnastics.

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Bellingham, Henderson, Ward-Prowse, Loftus-Cheek, Dier, Jones, Skipp, Ramsey, Reed, James. 

Willock is quite a decent young player.

Does "a few" mean over 13?

To be honest you can add young Harvey Elliot he’s having an outstanding season and will be pushing for a call up soon.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

It's a strange one. For all the midfields that English academies produce, they only seem to produce no 10's.

Didn't Southgate call Bellingham "a pressing number 10"? I remember Gascoigne, Robson, Scholes and Carrick at the same age as Bellingham. I'm not sure Bellingham will emulate any of those.

Gallagher and Ramsey are two more number 10s. Skipp is an anchorman (number 6)?

Yeah. He is getting off the bench a few times, but from a Scotland perspective I'm just frustrated. I just want him playing football He's at an age where he needs matches.

I mean, have you ever heard of a player moving to a club and then the manager trading places with him? Objectively, it's insane.

I have seen them play, I would say they are capable central midfielders, high work rates and technically excellent and can play in most midfield positions, with the exception of Skipp.   I think there is a big difference between BG and those guys.  

Totally agree he needs to play games to progress, but he is not going to get that time at Brighton - hence the loan.  I wonder if the move to Chelsea has messed up his progression, had he stayed at Rangers he would have probably played 2 whole seasons by now and been much further along with his development.  It was probably set certain expectations in his mind.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

To be honest you can add young Harvey Elliot he’s having an outstanding season and will be pushing for a call up soon.

He's a very good player but you wouldn't have him in the DM/CM role, I wouldn't have thought

Bellingham has been described by Southgate as a "Pressing number 10". Henderson is a number 6. Same with Ward-Prowse. Dier is a number 6. Ramsey is a number 10. James is a fullback. And Reed is at Fulham.

Obviously, rather than read my posts, you've just dived in to make quips.

I'm talking about a Carrick, Robson, Gascoigne, Scholes type.

I'm not dissing England. Most countries would kill for Harry Kane.

Which role do you think Phillips and Rice play for England?

They're the two sitting in a 4-2-3-1 or, as you put it, a 6. It's also the position Bellingham played against the USA.

Gascoigne and Scholes were not 6s in the the system that England currently play, at all. They'd be most suited to the 10.

You seem to have pretty strident views on something you've got a rather tenuous grasp of.

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

He's a very good player but you wouldn't have him in the DM/CM role, I wouldn't have thought

No probably not, but he’s younger and in my opinion far better, would be way ahead of Gilmour.

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Do you really put credence in the FIFA rankings?

Do you think England are better than Spain?

I'd walk into Scotland's midfield.

Afterall, nobody has really seen me play enough to know what my best position is, but you probably wouldn't trust me as an anchorman as I don't think I'm defensively sound enough.

As for Spain, they're very well coached and have been performing better than the sum of their parts. Somewhat opposite to England in that respect.

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Both are number 6s (anchormen).

Actually, didn't England play 4-3-3 against USA? No. Gascoigne and Scholes were number 8s.

Oh. I know what I'm talking about.

"In a 4-2-3-1, Jordan Pickford took his position in goal.."

"England XI (4-2-3-1)"

"With England in a 4-2-3-1, the 4-4-2 allowed the U.S. to set up defensively"

"Manager: Gareth Southgate. 4-2-3-1"

"Lineups. England. 4-2-3-1"

image.thumb.png.de846c95c5aeed84fce6f45ec8d0b5e5.png

Edited by kirku

Yeah. That's funny.

Remind me, what was the score was when Scotland met England at the Euro's. 

You could walk into the Scotland team whose midfield competed with England's? Does that mean you're really good or England's midfield is really bad?

The rankings are purely for seedings. This World Cup, with all the upsets, are making a mockery of the ranking system.

"Remind me, what was the score..." for a 0-0 where Scotland got eliminated in the group stages, England progressed to the final, and the "boy wonder" Gilmour subsequently  ended up being benched by the likes of PLM and McLean?

It's frankly hilarious.

Nearly as hilarious as the utter absurdity of you claiming to not know where Gilmour's best position is, because "nobody has seen him play enough" while also asserting that he'd walk into what is currently considered the 5th best nation in the world.

Nearly, but not quite.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Watch it again.

Mount was a part of a midfield 3.

It was a 4-3-3.

It may have began as a 4-2-3-1, but it certainly didn't end like it. That may have been because the US midfield were outnumbering the England midfield that it forced Mount back.

And thanks for posting the ratings of the midfields. 😉

How many injuries would England require for Longstaff and Willock to be the starting pair of 6s?

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Most people are asking why USA dominated England. The lack of a really traditional deep-laying playmaker Is thr reason.

Couldn't agree more. Hate to admit it, but maybe he should have stayed at Rangers, at least long enough to get a hundred or so games under his belt.

If he doesn't get a regular game soon, I'm dreading it for him. Could end up like Gael Kakuta who was at Chelsea for 6 years and made 6 appearances.

England do not have a deep laying player maker, although Rice and Phillips fill that area of the pitch.  I thought USA were really good, they pressed brilliantly, to cut out space.  Personally I think some times you do not play well, and I still thought we created more chances than the US, although I put our performance down to the USA side playing really well.

BG definitely needs games.  I hope he gets them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

Mate, you said that you could play international football for a team ranked 40 in the world.

THAT'S hilarious. 🙂

over your head Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Haha 1

Probably 3. Rice, Phillips and Henderson. 

TheDarkKnight's guide on how to lose all credibility on a football forum in three easy posts:

1) Brian Laudrup would be worth £200m today

2) Billy Gilmour would walk into the England team (but I haven't seen him play that much)

3) England are 3 injuries away from starting Joe Willock and Shaun Longstaff

• Thanks 1

Yeah...

That doesn't cut any ice with me, either.

You said that you could walk into the Scotland team. Is that a lie? Are you even eligible?

This is tragic

• Thanks 1

Sorry DK. I have to agree with the BG is not good enough camp, albeit less vehemently. England looked a bit short of ideas vs USA not because we are missing a Billy Gilmour, but because Southgate is pants. While we played very uninspiring football vs USA they hardly dominated us to the point of creating much in the way of golden chances. They were energetic and set up well against a boring Southgate tactical borefest. It’s no different to a non league side taking on a Chris Hughton Norwich side in a cup game. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

2. He would. (I've seen him from Scotland u15 upwards. In fairness, even Gareth Southgate said the same anout Bellingham. Southgate called him a "pressing 10 but he could end up being a roaming 8".)

I've not read the whole thread so I assumed the 'he'd walk into the England team' was a twisting or a misrepresentation of what you said but no, you're apparently serious. 

Gilmour needs a free role to work. But for every Pirlo, you need a Gattuso ball-winner and a Seedorf box-to-box man alongside him to make it work.

I think he's in the wrong country, personally. He'd probably do really well as a deep-lying playmaker in Serie A.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

England only have anchorman (Phillips, Henderson and Rice) and then a multitude of number 10s (Bellingham, Saka, Mount, Foden, Sterling, Rashford, etc)

This is why the likes of USA can dominate against England. You don't produce midfields who can pass a ****load and knit things together, eg Gavi, Pedri, De Jong, etc.

People are free to sneer and chuckle all they like, but when a 19 year old Musah and the likes of Tyler Adams can dominate a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Mount (a midfield which has the market price of £223m) then all bets are off.

Walking is about as much as Billy Gilmour can be attributed with in terms of ability. He can probably walk.

He wouldn't get anywhere near England's midfield. He's a championship player. John Stones would perform better in midfield than Billy f*cking Gilmour

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Even the most ardent critic of Billy Gilmour would say that his main attributes are showing for the ball, taking it on the half turn and doing the simple things.

England do not have that.

Graeme Souness said it after the England vs Scotland game that England don't have a player like Gilmour. And he is right.

It's not about Gilmour. It's about the type of player he is.

THE MIDFIELD TEMPLATE HOLDING BACK ENGLISH FOOTBALL FOR DECADES AND SOLUTIONS IN SPAIN

'England lack a player with this particular skillset' does not equal 'any player with this skillset would walk into the team.'

Gilmour may have that skillset but his other weaknesses and limitations are why he can't get a game for Brighton and looked totally out of his depth last season. 

So a player with Gilmour's skillset and without some of his other limitations would likely walk into England's midfield. But Gilmour himself wouldn't. 

• Like 1