Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour and a tweet that aged well. Not.

Just want to point out DK hasn’t insulted anyone. I completely disagree with him but look at his post history, one of the most respectful guys on here. Maybe some of the trolls can get back in their box and just agree to disagree. 

Edit: this doesn’t apply to all replies 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Just want to point out DK hasn’t insulted anyone. I completely disagree with him but look at his post history, one of the most respectful guys on here. Maybe some of the trolls can get back in their box and just agree to disagree. 

Excellent post and I wish I could post respectfully at all times, unfortunately I can’t. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Is Billy just another young McLean, decent enough for championship or Scottish Premiership but just not good enough for the EPL?

Yes

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Excellent post and I wish I could post respectfully at all times, unfortunately I can’t. 

I’m guilty too tbf. 

10 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Good post SwearyCanary   . There's a world cup to enjoy ffs

Norwich  would look good in the brazil 🇧🇷 strip. Absolute class. 💯 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Most of your quotes come from one game where Gilmour played well and England were diabolical. It's not a norm or an accurate marker.

Ryan Jarvis had a couple of good Prem appearances but that didn't make him England quality.

Pundits are essentially paid to over hype. He is a nothing player and his career will generally prove that if it hasn't already.

This is all the proof we need about wee Krankie. Hoggy, you as we know take a lot to criticise a player, we've often disagreed over the time I've been on here, McLean being the obvious example. So Dark Knight if Hoggy is criticising a player then you know that the player is no sodding good. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Trolls is a bit much, I agree he's not slagged anyone off, I don't get why he's here but it's a free world. However just like I do in real life if I think someone is talking tripe then they'll be told and usually with a high amount of **** take too. 

Maybe it's just the type of people I'm used to talking to in public, give it out plenty but also take it too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Trolls is a bit much, I agree he's not slagged anyone off, I don't get why he's here but it's a free world. However just like I do in real life if I think someone is talking tripe then they'll be told and usually with a high amount of **** take too. 

Maybe it's just the type of people I'm used to talking to in public, give it out plenty but also take it too. 

I retract ‘troll’ - bit strong 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

This is all the proof we need about wee Krankie. Hoggy, you as we know take a lot to criticise a player, we've often disagreed over the time I've been on here, McLean being the obvious example. So Dark Knight if Hoggy is criticising a player then you know that the player is no sodding good. 

My marker is whether I think I’d rather retain Cantwell over him. I would and there a few bars lower than that for me 😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I retract ‘troll’ - bit strong 

Trolling is when someone post or comments online to deliberately upset others. In short: Trolling is when someone deliberately tries to upset others online. Trolling can lead to a pile on, when others join in the attack. Don't feed the trolls – responding is likely to make things worse.

🤔

I think the reason there was/is such an issue with Gilmour, is that we were continuously told that he was this amazing player and that Norwich was a poor move for him, that we were beneath him. So he unfairly had all this pressure on him at the same time as we were being told what a disgrace we were as a Premier League team. He wasn't great, but neither was anyone else, so I wouldn't say he was a scapegoat for us being relegated more a symbol of our frustration at how the media portrayed us.

Edited by OnDaBall

16 hours ago, Mengo said:

Good post SwearyCanary   . There's a world cup to enjoy ffs

Norwich  would look good in the brazil 🇧🇷 strip. Absolute class. 💯 

Subtle. Praise a post telling people to lay off the Dark Knight and the bring up the World Cup.

I like it.

22 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

But as The Smith's said, the joke isn't funny anymore.

Maybe not, but saying he would walk into the England midfield is side-splittingly hilarious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Maybe not, but saying he would walk into the England midfield is side-splittingly hilarious.

Woah, woah, woah - you can't go around doing that in these parts, troll.

Accept the wisdom that Gilmour would waltz into this England side and feel grateful that the two additional injuries hadn't happened that would've certainly resulted in Longstaff starting against Wales.

19 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

And to think Mo Leitner got stick, Wee Bully as yet has shown nothing like what Mo had, sure he wore his shorts in a ridiculous fashion but he could set the tone and pick a pass.

Good point, to be fair.

Leitner was objectively better in the Prem for Norwich than Gilmour was.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Woah, woah, woah - you can't go around doing that in these parts, troll.

Accept the wisdom that Gilmour would waltz into this England side and feel grateful that the two additional injuries hadn't happened that would've certainly resulted in Longstaff starting against Wales.

Saying you find someone’s opinion laughable is within acceptable limits, calling them an idiot is not. I retracted ‘troll’. The point being made wasn’t that Longstaff would play in the England team but that players if the ilk of Gilmour’s pretty specific position (based on the view of someone that has watched him more and achieve moderate early plaudits and a move to Chelsea with all their scouts and experience picking up players), don’t really exist. DK made clear that from what he has seen the Gilmour position isn’t something England have. Longstaff apparently plays that kind of role, but I completely agree he is not near the class of an international. I also agree that Gilmour wouldn’t walk into the England team and we would absolutely rather set up completely differently if playing Longstaff was the other option. 
Focussing on one aspect of the argument, from a perspective of someone that has seen the best of Gilmour (I’m not one if those lucky enough to claim the same) prevents any sensible look at the point being made. Gilmour may come good, he may not. He is not surrounded by international players if the depth that mean he will be at a World Cup but a Euros run isn’t once again a possibility and I suspect he plays a role in that. I hope he never plays for norwich again and he may well crash and burn, but I can objectively see that DK is not an idiot, agree with him or otherwise. 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

but I can objectively see that DK is not an idiot, agree with him or otherwise. 

I don't really think you can make that claim objectively. You may suspect that he's not an idiot, but he does repeat some fairly illogical statements and presents his opinion as fact. If those things aren't exactly idiotic, they are certainly not well reasoned or balanced. Personally I suspect that DK is probably of about average intelligence for a football fan, and that's not really a compliment.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I don't really think you can make that claim objectively. You may suspect that he's not an idiot, but he does repeat some fairly illogical statements and presents his opinion as fact. If those things aren't exactly idiotic, they are certainly not well reasoned or balanced. Personally I suspect that DK is probably of about average intelligence for a football fan, and that's not really a compliment.

Unfair on  @TheDarkKnight imo, he has mostly shown intelligence and knowledge when posting on here, but on BG he is at best got his ' Tartan specs ' on. But an idiot, he is not. BG, Tidy ball player , no doubt. Equipped with any other attributes , not really. 

Give him a ball and a yard of grass. ...you don't get a whole yard that often in the premier league. 

Will donate €50 to. Nuttyos Funds if his next move is to a bigger Club than Brighton.  @nutty nigel

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Saying you find someone’s opinion laughable is within acceptable limits, calling them an idiot is not. I retracted ‘troll’. The point being made wasn’t that Longstaff would play in the England team but that players if the ilk of Gilmour’s pretty specific position (based on the view of someone that has watched him more and achieve moderate early plaudits and a move to Chelsea with all their scouts and experience picking up players), don’t really exist. DK made clear that from what he has seen the Gilmour position isn’t something England have. Longstaff apparently plays that kind of role, but I completely agree he is not near the class of an international. I also agree that Gilmour wouldn’t walk into the England team and we would absolutely rather set up completely differently if playing Longstaff was the other option. 
Focussing on one aspect of the argument, from a perspective of someone that has seen the best of Gilmour (I’m not one if those lucky enough to claim the same) prevents any sensible look at the point being made. Gilmour may come good, he may not. He is not surrounded by international players if the depth that mean he will be at a World Cup but a Euros run isn’t once again a possibility and I suspect he plays a role in that. I hope he never plays for norwich again and he may well crash and burn, but I can objectively see that DK is not an idiot, agree with him or otherwise. 

You're giving the guy way too much credit.

You say "from a perspective of someone that has seen the best of Gilmour" yet TDK says he hasn't seen enough of Gilmour to even know his best position. But that he knows he can walk into the England side. Square that circle.

You say "I can objectively see that DK is not an idiot" I see him responding with things like this "What is your point? That Gilmour isn't eligible for play for England?" (you'd need to read more posts for wider context of this).

And as for the Longstaff thing, it's not that he's a similar player to Gilmour, but that TDK seemingly believes England are "3 injuries away" from having to play him at CDM. Despite all the obvious logical reasons, many of which you highlight, as to why that clearly isn't the case.

There's only so much nonsense someone can spout before people rightfully start calling a spade a spade.

Edited by kirku
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Will donate €50 to. Nuttyos Funds if his next move is to a bigger Club than Brighton.  @nutty nigel

If he moves abroad, it'll be to a bigger team than Brighton, I'd have thought

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

If he moves abroad, it'll be to a bigger team than Brighton, I'd have thought

Big if.  But where ? He'll be on decent money at Brighton compared to most Lowertoplevel Clubs in Europe. Would Feyenoord or Lille pay more, he'd get European footy of course, but he'd get that at Rangers, not sure he could handle SPL on a daily basis, just not tough enough. 

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Big if.  But where ? He'll be on decent money at Brighton compared to most Lowertoplevel Clubs in Europe. Would Feyenoord or Lille pay more, he'd get European footy of course, but he'd get that at Rangers, not sure he could handle SPL on a daily basis, just not tough enough. 

Just on this very specific point, any of the viable foreign (and I use that in a footballing sense) clubs would be considered bigger than Brighton.

Rangers are an absolutely massive club in comparison (appreciate the notion of what constitutes a "big" club is one of those undefinable things that football fans will argue about for the rest of time).

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kirku said:

Just on this very specific point, any of the viable foreign (and I use that in a footballing sense) clubs would be considered bigger than Brighton.

Rangers are an absolutely massive club in comparison (appreciate the notion of what constitutes a "big" club is one of those undefinable things that football fans will argue about for the rest of time).

Agree with what you say about club size/; perception, and he may well end up at Rangers eventually....just not next. 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 20:36, TheDarkKnight said:

I mean, have you ever heard of a player moving to a club and then the manager trading places with him? Objectively, it's insane.

If this was a joke, it was a very good one. I'm not as down on Dean Smith as many are, but on balance, I'd rather have kept Emi

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If this was a joke, it was a very good one. I'm not as down on Dean Smith as many are, but on balance, I'd rather have kept Emi

Why aren’t you? 🤔 The **** got Buendia to leave our club, then came here to utterly wreck any chance of survival and now doing a decent job of cocking up a championship season. 😉

Edited by Indy

So anyway, what have we learned, Gilmour is probably a decent championship midfielder, who has yet to really find his best position, that some fans rate others not so much, he doesn’t create many chances, isn’t a holding midfielder and he’s Scottish so has a good engine……I know someone who is 31 soon and signed a four year contract who is the spit of Gilmour……what does everyone think of McLean?😂👍

1 minute ago, Indy said:

So anyway, what have we learned, Gilmour is probably a decent championship midfielder, who has yet to really find his best position, that some fans rate others not so much, he doesn’t create many chances, isn’t a holding midfielder and he’s Scottish so has a good engine……I know someone who is 31 soon and signed a four year contract who is the spit of Gilmour……what does everyone think of McLean?😂👍

Better at pointing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Better at pointing.

Comes with experience!

Just now, Indy said:

Comes with experience!

Nah, just needs a couple of weeks in goal. You soon learn to point well when shouting at your defence! 😉