Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour and a tweet that aged well. Not.

Clearly not ready for the PL yet. He needs to go back in January, and go out on loan to a Championship club

19 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Clearly not ready for the PL yet. He needs to go back in January, and go out on loan to a Championship club

Go back where? Brighton bought him. I haven't been following him or them so not sure if a Championship loan is viable, or who can afford his wages.

42 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not a bad idea. It's what got Cantwells career started.

And where is Cantwells' career heading now? Not on an upward trajectory.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Go back where? Brighton bought him. I haven't been following him or them so not sure if a Championship loan is viable, or who can afford his wages.

Had heard he’d gone to Brighton but didn’t realise they signed him on a permanent deal. They must have been crazy to have done that. At the end of last season even the Chelsea fans admitted he should have gone on loan to a Championship club, and so really I think it would have been better for Gilmour to have gone on loan to a Championship/SPL club this season, rather than to another PL club 

54 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Had heard he’d gone to Brighton but didn’t realise they signed him on a permanent deal. They must have been crazy to have done that. At the end of last season even the Chelsea fans admitted he should have gone on loan to a Championship club, and so really I think it would have been better for Gilmour to have gone on loan to a Championship/SPL club this season, rather than to another PL club 

The price they paid was off the media hype! He’s done very little to warrant the move! Brighton must be disappointed in his return. I just don’t think he’ll cut it, but then I never rated Beckham, he was carried by an excellent Manure team, so what do I know!

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

He was signed by Potter for around 10 million who then left  Brighton for Chelsea, went back to Brighton with Chelsea and lost.

Gilmour himself has only played about 10 minutes of football being used as last minute sub to timewaste and has said he wants to go on loan in Jan

2 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

And where is Cantwells' career heading now? Not on an upward trajectory.

I strongly suspect that Cantwell will be playing in the Premier League next season, but not with us.

If England had beaten Scotland at the Euros we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He's still young enough to turn it around, but I don't think there's a Premier League player there for this day and age.

The man who we all love to hate, Southgate, made Billy Gilmour.

It was Southgate's dour tactics against Scotland when we forfeited midfield to make sure we kept a clean sheet that gave Gilmour all the room to express himself with room to play. That performance by his opposition gave a very wrong assessment of the player.

The moment he played against proper teams who had competitive midfields he was lost, and still is.

His long term home will be the Scottish Premiership if he is lucky.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

I strongly suspect that Cantwell will be playing in the Premier League next season, but not with us.

I think even Cantwell would be surprised if this was the case. Who in earth would take a creative midfielder who hasn’t created or scored a goal for nearly two seasons in a poor championship?

I’ll concede that when he has played he has looked ‘busy’ but if it’s an industrious combative midfielder you want you go elsewhere. If it’s a proven creator you want you go elsewhere. What has he got that you think any prem team would look at and want? Literally the only thing is the fact he would be fee free and probably accept quite meagre salary as his options will be limited. 

9 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In a generation where Sancho is going for £70m and Grealish is going for £100m, if Brian Laudrup was a player now he would've been worth £200m. Easy.

Laudrup was good but you're suggesting he'd be the most valuable player in history which is absurd. He wasn't the best player of his generation by a large distance.

10 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Off topic: Brian Laudrup was a truly world class player. I was lucky enough to watch him as I grew up. 

In a generation where Sancho is going for £70m and Grealish is going for £100m, if Brian Laudrup was a player now he would've been worth £200m. Easy.

He's right. Gilmour was made a scapegoat goat at Norwich. And he's right, playing at the World Cup would have shut his harshest critics.

I have no complaints, though. Ukraine turned up for the World Cup play off semi-final. We didn't.

In the play off final Ukraine should have beaten Wales. Hennessey took his Peter Schmeichel pills before the match and was a man possessed. 

It would've been nice to have played England in a competitive match so soon after the previous Euro's.

Not sure what a scapegoat goat is, but I don’t think you will find anyone on here who blames Gilmour for our relegation. It’s pretty much universally agreed he was poor when he played with us, but that’s not the same as being the reason we were relegated. If we had had a better player in his position, we might have ended up with more points, but we still would have gone down.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Not sure what a scapegoat goat is, but I don’t think you will find anyone on here who blames Gilmour for our relegation. It’s pretty much universally agreed he was poor when he played with us, but that’s not the same as being the reason we were relegated. If we had had a better player in his position, we might have ended up with more points, but we still would have gone down.

Indeed I love the fact people jump on this scapegoat rubbish. The players are scouted, recruited and paid very well to perform in their job, when we had a thrashing nearly every week in the premiership and Gilmour came with a look at me I’m a Chelsea starlet by the press a lot of pundits were quick to hack our club as the issue with Gilmour and as such I think the fans expected more from him and deservedly got the stick for being really poor all season.

Now Brighton are finding that out that maybe Gilmour just isn’t as good as pundits believed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Oh. A scapegoat is a person who receives all of the blame, when in truth, the blame out to be shared. Kinda like Manchester United with Harry Maguire. 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

IMO Gilmour was brought in to replace Buendia, nothing more nothing less. And it turned out he was no Buendia, unfortunately for both of us. 

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

You don't consider a player who played for AC Milan and Bayern Munich to be elite? How about winning the European Championships with Denmark?

He finished 6th place for the Ballon d'or.  I think "by a large distance" is exaggerating by a large distance. 😉

Interesting that you mention his time with Milan - he didn't play very much because he wasn't good enough to get in ahead of other better foreign players, such as van Basten and Savicevic. He's not even the best Laudrup.

Didn't live up to his potential. Hence the move to Rangers..

Edited by kirku

Logging on for the first time in two months specifically to respond to my duty to beat the drum that Billy Gilmour is complete f*cking sh*t!

He had some modest performances playing (a) alongside more competent Chelsea midfielders who could compensate for his complete lack of physicality and clean up all the messes for him, or (b) against some relatively mediocre opposition midfields in mostly meaningless international matches. Then he was hyped massively by the media because (a) CHELSEA and (b) Scotland are desperate for a generational marquee talent.

We changed our entire formation to suit the little f*cker and it failed miserably for us. He was f*cking sh*t in every match. 0 goals, 1 assist, and 1 f*cking yellow card in 1,858 minutes. Pathetic. He singlehandedly cost us significant points. It was a disaster. And it should have been obvious to Mr. Webber that it was never going to work. Easily the biggest mistake of his tenure at Norwich in my opinion.

But ... he's still got enough shine on him for Brighton to stupidly take a punt on him at a fraction of the price he would have fetched 2 years ago. Dumb bastards. He's made 4 appearances and logged a total of 12 minutes for them this season. You read that correctly. Why? Because he's f*cking sh*t.

Simply put, Gilmour cannot do anything that a PL-level midfielder needs to do. Not even remotely. He can't score, he can't set up goals, he can't progress the ball well, he can't win aerial duels, he can't tackle, and he can't even foul. He's f*cking sh*t. At 21.5 with his pedigree and hype he should be bossing the midfield in a lower table PL club or a better Championship club. But he's not even lcose to that. He's wasted £12m of Brighton's hard earned money and sits on their bench looking sad and lonely.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

The man who we all love to hate, Southgate, made Billy Gilmour.

It was Southgate's dour tactics against Scotland when we forfeited midfield to make sure we kept a clean sheet that gave Gilmour all the room to express himself with room to play. That performance by his opposition gave a very wrong assessment of the player.

The moment he played against proper teams who had competitive midfields he was lost, and still is.

His long term home will be the Scottish Premiership if he is lucky.

Bless you mate. Brilliant post.

Why is Billy Gilmours dad still knocking about on here with his absurd claims his son was our best midfielder last season? 

He's turd, and as I said last season he'll end up at Buckie Thistle or the like. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The scapegoats (quite correctly ) were identified as those responsible for recruiting playing and setting up for one of the most dreadful seasons I have ever seen. And the legacy is what we see this year at CR which is ,at best , an apathy . 

No one blamed Gilmour . But fans by the bucketload said he wasn’t good enough. And we got slaughtered for it . 

The purpose of the thread wasn’t to identify scapegoats . It was to remind us all of the narrative of the time . Gilmour was a class act amongst a turgid team that didn’t deserve to be in the Premier League  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Billy Gilmour would walk into the England midfield.

People are free to sneer and chuckle all they like. 

Sorry DK but a bloke that can’t get into the Brighton side isn’t “walking into the England” anything . I appreciate that football is all about opinion but that is a massive pile of cobblers. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

No apology needed. It's all about opinions.  🙂

Rice and Phillips are the main double pivot, when fit. Brighton are above Leeds and West Ham. Both are incredibly limited.

Plus, McAllister is a starter for Argentina and Caicedo has been linked to Real Madrid and Liverpool.

I'm not bring biased. It's a stone cold fact that England don't produce midfielders. When they did (Carrick and Scholes), they were un-utilized.

Fair enough .

Rice and Phillips are (when fit) mainstays in their teams and both will move on to bigger things 

Billy is getting splinters  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard