Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

McLean new contract

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

True...if you mean he's a 6 out of 10 for everything

A reward for mediocrity

Ha cry more

To give him that length of contract suggests the hierarchy are not too confident of promotion this season. Kenny in the top league as a regular guarantees relegation. 

• Like 1

Always thought him a poor man's Howson. He generally a solid 6/7 out of 10 but never does enough to stand out. Flip side of course is he's never that bad. 

Probably a no brainer really. Increased fee if he goes to Rangers, solid enough squad player if not. 

24 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To give him that length of contract suggests the hierarchy are not too confident of promotion this season. Kenny in the top league as a regular guarantees relegation. 

...this season it also guarantees top 2 is out of the window and top 6 is in serious jeopardy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

If only England had won, then it could have been a Carlsberg day...

Probably.

Thought USA edged it, to be honest.

Mixed feelings about this, competent at Championship level and a good club servant to have around at this level but not good enough for the Premier so not too sure what message this sends out regarding our aspirations for next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Mixed feelings about this, competent at Championship level and a good club servant to have around at this level but not good enough for the Premier so not too sure what message this sends out regarding our aspirations for next season.

Don't feel this is any indication of where club wants to be or what expectations are. Just means we will get a fee for Kenny if sold. I think he's a good player, one of the best we have. This doesn't mean I wouldn't sell him if the right deal and upgrade were available. 

Unfortunately being able to sign Premier League quality players whilst in the Championship is not particularly easy, and if it were all the league would be doing it. 

I would imagine that if we don't get promoted then we'll need a replacement for Hayden, so it makes sense not to have to be looking for a replacement for Kenny as well. Kenny is effectively a free transfer and a good bit of business at that.

• Like 2

McLean is part of the problem not the solution...and anyone who thinks he's part of the solution is also part of the problem.....i.e Dean Smith , 

An extra year to protect whatever value he has , possibly?....but 2 years with a further option of a year?

If he's he's still seen as a first choice midfielder, to the extent that they dont envisage having to improve upon him in the midfield dept , it is a major failure in our recruitment.

There are some eho seem to think he's been one of our better midfielders this season?....I dont agree with that but even if he was , its proving to not be good enough...and McLean isnt going to get any better

The solution isnt to reward that mediocrity , it is to improve the recruitment/coaching in that department

• Like 1

Players have been signing contracts for years and people still don't understand the purpose of the length of the deal, maybe the permanently disgruntled just want another thing to moan about.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unfortunately being able to sign Premier League quality players whilst in the Championship is not particularly easy, and if it were all the league would be doing it. 

I would imagine that if we don't get promoted then we'll need a replacement for Hayden, so it makes sense not to have to be looking for a replacement for Kenny as well. Kenny is effectively a free transfer and a good bit of business at that.

Exactly - the fact that some can’t see this says more about them than they realise.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

McLean is part of the problem not the solution...and anyone who thinks he's part of the solution is also part of the problem.....i.e Dean Smith , 

An extra year to protect whatever value he has , possibly?....but 2 years with a further option of a year?

If he's he's still seen as a first choice midfielder, to the extent that they dont envisage having to improve upon him in the midfield dept , it is a major failure in our recruitment.

There are some eho seem to think he's been one of our better midfielders this season?....I dont agree with that but even if he was , its proving to not be good enough...and McLean isnt going to get any better

The solution isnt to reward that mediocrity , it is to improve the recruitment/coaching in that department

He is still going 😅😅😅😅

He's a decent fringe player to have around. If he's happy with that - and if upgrades come in, then it's a very canny piece of business. Not to mention, it stops him from being poached on a free.

Thing is this sends a signal - players are happy here and happy to stay/not looking to leave.  That helps to stop talk of an unsettled camp. Obviously better news would be Teemu and Todd signing a year extension, but it’s a start.

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Exactly - the fact that some can’t see this says more about them than they realise.  

Too many have become institutionalized when it comes to McLean

It isnt a case of McLean or no one...there are better players out there, we can sign better even at championship level. 

Theres a whole footballing world out there

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Too many have become institutionalized when it comes to McLean

It isnt a case of McLean or no one...there are better players out there, we can sign better even at championship level. 

Theres a whole footballing world out there

The irony here is you're completely right but...

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's a decent fringe player to have around. If he's happy with that - and if upgrades come in, then it's a very canny piece of business. Not to mention, it stops him from being poached on a free.

Problem is it appears we have a manager who sees him as more than a fringe player.

This will be one of the contributory factors that costs him his job over the next 6 wks.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Thing is this sends a signal - players are happy here and happy to stay/not looking to leave.  That helps to stop talk of an unsettled camp. Obviously better news would be Teemu and Todd signing a year extension, but it’s a start.

I’ve had a chat with my mate that touches on the Todd and Teemu contract point. As well as Krul, Hanley and McLean which comprises of the spine of the team. We both said we feel we need some new impetus and fresh perspectives, Bailey mentioned something similar in that article summertime how there is a “losing mentality” or inferiority complex kicking around the squad. But new impetus costs £ and Smith really should be getting more of a tune out of his squad than he has. Is it the players or Smith? Jury’s out. 

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He is a fringe / bench player / reserve at Prem level but in the championship he's a regular starter and both Smith and Farke have deemed that the right call. Farke also backed that decision up with two titles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Every team needs a player like Kenny McLean in the Championship.

No, he's probably not EPL quality but not many of our squad are. In fact there's probably only a handful in the entire league, but it's a really high bar.

There's certainly an argument the club should have recruited better last season but that's not Kenny's fault. He's a manager's dream because he does what he's asked to whether it's AM, DM or even LB.

Spot on. He's spent most of this season playing DM or LB, neither of which particularly suit his skill set, but he's done reasonably at DM and way above expectations at LB. If Hayden stays fit then I expect Kenny to flourish in the second half of the season, and I'm glad to see him sign an extension.